Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Jan 12, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #751 of 1,712
im found my bathys far better sounding from laptop via Fiio Q3 MQA then own DAC. listen music from Tidal master quality.

It's definitely possible that the colouration of the sound from the Fiio is preferable to you, but as your daisy chaining through two dacs you're not truly listening to the Fiio here and it comes at the expense of signal quality as you're performing multiple D/A conversions.

Between my iFi Zen DAC and the DAC mode on the Bathys I can't hear any difference in audio quality. But I can add bass to the signal with the Zen DACs true bass mode, which definitely does effect the signal that ends up at my ears.

Jan 12, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #752 of 1,712
I'm afraid I have never listened to this genre @LoryWiv . Any recommendations for a novice? If you could pick any two LP's to try and get somebody started what would they be? Thanks
I'll peruse classical my collection and offer some suggestions when I return from work! Kudos for being a discerning music lover who retains an open mind for the "good stuff" that has brought pleasure for centuries.

Jan 12, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #753 of 1,712
If anyone is looking for these in the USA, I've got a brand new pair, that I opened and charged and tested for maybe half an hour. I can ship them out fast. PM me if interested. Bought from an authorized retailer, can include receipt.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #754 of 1,712
I agree with you! But that's so weird. On my devices it just appears as Focal Bathys. I guess the Mac is pulling deeper than is typical to get that information?
Very interesting. My Mac has never done that.

Jan 13, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #755 of 1,712
I'm afraid I have never listened to this genre @LoryWiv . Any recommendations for a novice? If you could pick any two LP's to try and get somebody started what would they be? Thanks
Too difficult to narrow down the vast choices of classical music but perhaps spend a bit of time here or here. Best!

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #757 of 1,712
It's definitely possible that the colouration of the sound from the Fiio is preferable to you, but as your daisy chaining through two dacs you're not truly listening to the Fiio here and it comes at the expense of signal quality as you're performing multiple D/A conversions.

Between my iFi Zen DAC and the DAC mode on the Bathys I can't hear any difference in audio quality. But I can add bass to the signal with the Zen DACs true bass mode, which definitely does effect the signal that ends up at my ears.
im streaming from Tidal,so via fiio q3 MQA im listening MQA files and add bass

Just plug them in via USB C or USB A for the Bathys.

If you want to power other headphones, you say 70 ohm but I don't know what the sensitivity is, then you might want a DAC. There are many many options you can go for if you want a dac for another pair of headphones. I use the iFi Zen Dac for my day to day use with my desktop computer and I really like that but beyond that I can't really advise.
70ohm 101dB

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #759 of 1,712
MQA doesn't add anything compared to other lossless formats. In fact it it's a lossy format that takes data away. Whether or not that's audible is another question, but it doesn't add anything.
ok man,thanks. so, im see dac/amp for my laptop and audeze lcd-2C Closed back. then no need buy with MQA decoder higher priced, i must look at lower price without MQA , but with high other parametrs, dsd,mcd and other parametrs better? im see at XDUOO TA-20, 22, 24,26 or 30 models? what beterr sounds tube vs transistor vs hybrid(tube/transistor)?

Jan 14, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #760 of 1,712
As well as burn in I think it's worth giving these headphones time because my experience of the comfort and seal has changed noticeably over a two week period. Specifically the pads seem to have gotten softer and more maleable, and the clamp force has also become more relaxed. Initially I would not want to wear them for more than a couple of hours without a short break but now I can wear them for most of the day without noticing any discomfort.

An odd thing I have noticed though is that if my hair brushes onto the area of the Focal logo it can make a crackling sound in the driver. I wonder why this is? At first my hypothesis was that it was static electricity held in my hair conducting through the metal component on the outside of the headphones. But I'm not sure. It's not a big deal but because I have long hair it does happen from time to time while I'm walking.

ok man,thanks. so, im see dac/amp for my laptop and audeze lcd-2C Closed back. then no need buy with MQA decoder higher priced, i must look at lower price without MQA , but with high other parametrs, dsd,mcd and other parametrs better? im see at XDUOO TA-20, 22, 24,26 or 30 models? what beterr sounds tube vs transistor vs hybrid(tube/transistor)?

You don't have to look for anything less expensive. It's not a drawback for a DAC to have MQA decoding especially if you're really committed to using Tidal. Some great DACs just have a MQA rendering built into them for wider compatibility and I wouldn't necessarily avoid those just because I don't think MQA rendering is important.

As for tube vs transistors vs hybrid it's just preference and they will affect the warmth and staging of the music. You need to see what you like to determine what you would prefer. If you have a particular headphone that you're interested in you can explore their respective threads on head-fi to see what other people believe their best dac/amp pairings to be.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #761 of 1,712
Focal Bathys owners on Tidal

When in dac mode, can you accept to let tidal play bit perfect on the Bathys?

I get no sound eather on my S22 or Mi tab 5. Have hade similar problems with other dacs and I know Tidal doesnt support all dacs but I was really hoping it would work with the Bathys.

Cheers

Jan 16, 2023 at 1:32 AM Post #762 of 1,712
Focal Bathys owners on Tidal

When in dac mode, can you accept to let tidal play bit perfect on the Bathys?

I get no sound eather on my S22 or Mi tab 5. Have hade similar problems with other dacs and I know Tidal doesnt support all dacs but I was really hoping it would work with the Bathys.

Cheers
Having the same problem. Talked to Tidal. suport. They have no solution at the moment ???

Jan 16, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #764 of 1,712
On!

Attachments

• 20230116_222531.jpg
    20230116_222531.jpg
    910.5 KB · Views: 0
Jan 19, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #765 of 1,712
Sorry if this was asked before, anyone knows any adapter OTG Type C to lightning to use the included Type C cable with an iphone or any straight cable Type C to lightning that can work on DAC mode?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back