Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Dec 26, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #691 of 1,708
Just going to ask again on the off chance someone is willing to test for me, what happens if you plug these in via USB to PS5? Is it recognised? Is the mic recognised? How does it sound?

Would rarely use it that way but I want to know if it works like that at all as it would be a value add. I could use this as a gaming headset in a pinch.

Also, how does it perform paired with a Nintendo Switch? How does it sound, how is the latency?
Just got the PS5 for Christmas and plugged in the Bathys via USB into the PS5 on DAC mode. Nothing. The PS5 doesn't recognise USB DACs I don't believe. On the other hand, using the 3.5mm jack connected to the dual sense controller makes for a peaceful early morning session when everyone is still asleep :)

Dec 27, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #692 of 1,708
Just got the PS5 for Christmas and plugged in the Bathys via USB into the PS5 on DAC mode. Nothing. The PS5 doesn't recognise USB DACs I don't believe. On the other hand, using the 3.5mm jack connected to the dual sense controller makes for a peaceful early morning session when everyone is still asleep :)

Nice! I already had a PS5 but I got my Bathys for Christmas :)

Other dacs can work, but you’re right that it doesn’t recognise this one. I use my iFi zen dac on PS5 day to day and it works fine and as I said the Senheiser Monentum 4s do also get recognised by the PS5 but it doesn’t work quite right.

The PS4/5 recognises dacs that suppport the UAC1 standard but not UAC2. A lot of dacs like the creative Zen Dac can operate in either UAC1 or 2 so they work, whereas many others only operate as UAC2 and those won’t work. I’m guessing the Focal is UAC2 only.

I did try and listen to some games via the 3.5mm plugged into the creative zen dac and honestly I think it sounds really great. They have very good sound stage for a closed back and I think the mid range dip artificially extends that a little bit. I also think the imaging is genuinely brilliant.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #693 of 1,708

Nice! I already had a PS5 but I got my Bathys for Christmas :)

Other dacs can work, but you’re right that it doesn’t recognise this one. I use my iFi zen dac on PS5 day to day and it works fine and as I said the Senheiser Monentum 4s do also get recognised by the PS5 but it doesn’t work quite right.

The PS4/5 recognises dacs that suppport the UAC1 standard but not UAC2. A lot of dacs like the creative Zen Dac can operate in either UAC1 or 2 so they work, whereas many others only operate as UAC2 and those won’t work. I’m guessing the Focal is UAC2 only.

I did try and listen to some games via the 3.5mm plugged into the creative zen dac and honestly I think it sounds really great. They have very good sound stage for a closed back and I think the mid range dip artificially extends that a little bit. I also think the imaging is genuinely brilliant.

UAC2 would definetly be a nice feature if it's something Focal can support.

Dec 28, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #694 of 1,708
The lights on the Bathys are bright enough that at night time I can navigate my house in pitch black darkness. This is never something I’ve thought I might want but it’s actually kind of useful as a way of getting out of bed to grab a snack or use the bathroom without waking up my partner with the bedside light.

Dec 28, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #695 of 1,708
Bathys bluetooth connecting easily with my Samsung Q80T 65" TV.

Attachments

• 20221228_182147.jpg
    20221228_182147.jpg
    777.7 KB · Views: 0
Dec 28, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #697 of 1,708
Funnily enough I finally got around to pairing my Bathys with my Samsung TV today. As I half expected sound is very slightly out of sync with picture, not even .5 of a second but enough to be annoying. Any tips to sync?
Its was working perfectly from the beginning. You can check with the tvs e-manual. I did! Good luck...

Dec 28, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #698 of 1,708
Its was working perfectly from the beginning. You can check with the tvs e-manual. I did! Good luck...
Couldn't see anything in manual for bluetooth delays, only HDMI and SP/DIF. Went on Samsung forum and folk pretty much saying the same, and they are not happy at a Samsung guy on the forum saying their techys cant fix. Read some people saying just to switch bluetooth off/on and that can fix. I tried that and found some channels were pretty much spot on, but others still a mili second off. To be honest I don't think it sounds that great anyway, a bit echoey. Radio sounded not too bad, and a couple of films on Netflix did too, but the delay was worse on Netflix. I'm sure it will be overcome in future , but maybe not just at the moment, certainly not for my Samsung TV anyway.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #699 of 1,708
Oh dear. What great wireless headphones these are, the best I have ever heard. I've returned them? Why? ANC. Two problems. It is always on and I'm susceptible to hiss (which is there, in either noise cancelling mode). If that was the only issue, not a deal-breaker but an annoyance in such a high cost product. The major issue is the ANC performance. It's poor for 2022 headphones, never mind the price point. Took a bus journey today here in the UK, and in silent mode it let in more sound than I'm used to. However, the clincher was that the noise cancelling picks up any bumps in the road and warbles/is audible. Also noticed this when walking but less of an issue. Unacceptable, in my view, for headphones that are sold as a portable solution as it limits them to home or office use.

So, have opted for the B&W PX8. Let's hope they perform better as an ANC headphone though I don't expect them to sound as good in the home environment as the Bathys. Plus,
unlike the Bathys, ANC can be defeated on the PX8.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #700 of 1,708
Do you guys know if there is any reason to use "USB Audio Player PRO" using Bluetooth?

I think it theoretically should matter in DAC mode, but even though it was an important selling point of the headphones for me, most of the time I can't be bothered to use the cable :)

@AcademicBarzo I feel the same way about the hiss. But I think it is part of the ANC experience in any ANC product. I don't understand people call these completely quiet, it still makes me think mine are defective but it is very quiet (yet noticeable when no music is playing). Personally disappointed I cannot disable it, especially since it doesn't seem to perform very well anyway. For me personally I would only like to use ANC in an airplane, still optimistic about its capabilities there. In the office I still head colleagues phone calls, doesn't really bother me but at that point I would rather just disable the ANC at all. At the end not a deal breaker for me, but I can imagine it is for others for who ANC is more important.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #702 of 1,708
I'm not a fan of ANC either. Excuse the ignorance, but is the ability to switch ANC to be either on/off possible in a future firmware upgrade?
It may be, but it has not been mentioned and I'm not sure what Focal's approach to firmware updates will be. It's a strange feature to leave off a premium headphone.

Dec 30, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #704 of 1,708
90% of the time I will use my Bathys late at night in a quite house with literally no noise distraction. What is the best ANC setting for the optimum sound quality? Silent, Soft, or Transparency?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back