Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Dec 14, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #676 of 1,717
Is there really a sq difference with usb c digital cables!?

There definitely is a measurable difference for different cables, but its probably not something a human being would detect on an ABX test, and also the strongest predictor of signal quality is the cable length. In some cases audiophile grade cables measure worse.

There's nothing measurable that explains the fantastical differences that users on head-fi and other forums appear to perceive and the strongest logical explanation is a placebo effect.

If you want a good cable just try to find one that is well-made and no longer than you need it to be. No need to spend hundreds of dollars to achieve that.

Dec 15, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #677 of 1,717
the quality look of the product intrigues me and I'm sure they are as comfortable as the one might imagine.

They indeed are (for me, at least).

Dec 15, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #679 of 1,717
There definitely is a measurable difference for different cables, but its probably not something a human being would detect on an ABX test, and also the strongest predictor of signal quality is the cable length. In some cases audiophile grade cables measure worse.

There's nothing measurable that explains the fantastical differences that users on head-fi and other forums appear to perceive and the strongest logical explanation is a placebo effect.

If you want a good cable just try to find one that is well-made and no longer than you need it to be. No need to spend hundreds of dollars to achieve that.
For members who care about the sound, the answer to the previous poster question is yes. In my subjective (obviously) experience there are (small mind you) differences between the included cable, a standard Apple USB-C cable, and a WireWorld Starlight 8 (a larger difference, and one I find worthwhile). To be perfectly fair minded, the WW cable I had was only .6m -- this could conceivably explain the difference, although the length constraints in the USB 3.1 a/b spec are really related to very high data rates -- many multiples of what you would be using for redbook or 24/192 audio. I have a 1m WW cable on order (the longest they make at present) and will report back. It would be fascinating if the two lengths sound different.

The measuring debate is not really of interest to me, just relaying my experience, YMMV of course. If you think I'm crazy that's fine. : D

Dec 15, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #680 of 1,717
Just going to ask again on the off chance someone is willing to test for me, what happens if you plug these in via USB to PS5? Is it recognised? Is the mic recognised? How does it sound?

Would rarely use it that way but I want to know if it works like that at all as it would be a value add. I could use this as a gaming headset in a pinch.

Also, how does it perform paired with a Nintendo Switch? How does it sound, how is the latency?

Interesting idea, seems iffy from what I can see.. There is a thread on ASR here where multiple people have attached USB DACs to as PS5 which haven't worked. I know in the iPhone world you have to have an 'On The Go' adapter (which another USB A to C adapter) to use the Bathys USB function.

Sony support list "Wireless Headsets" here as potential items supported by the USB ports, but here they list a grand total of 4 compatible wireless headset USB adapters. Not very hopeful.

Dec 15, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #681 of 1,717
Interesting idea, seems iffy from what I can see.. There is a thread on ASR here where multiple people have attached USB DACs to as PS5 which haven't worked. I know in the iPhone world you have to have an 'On The Go' adapter (which another USB A to C adapter) to use the Bathys USB function.

Sony support list "Wireless Headsets" here as potential items supported by the USB ports, but here they list a grand total of 4 compatible wireless headset USB adapters. Not very hopeful.

Yeah I know, I use the iFi zen dac with my PS5 by default but they're are a lot of dacs that it just doesn't recognise.

The Senheiser momentum, which are also USB headphones, had issues on the PS5. They do work when plugged in but it didn't seem like the DAC was being engaged properly and the sound is very thin and hollow compared to using them via bluetooth on a phone. I also had issues with them just not responding and needing to be turned off and on after plugging them into the PS5.

I ended up selling the momentum 4, not because I don't really like it. It has decent sound and resolution but ultimately still has that sort of cheap plastic feel to the sound that lower end headphones have, and I didn't find them to be that comfortable listening for more than an hour or so whereas I need a pair of headphones that can sit on my head for most of the day without issue. Senheisers app is also really kind of terrible.

Anyway, I'm wanting the Focal to use basically for every situation where I'm not at home, so that's mostly mobile use, my laptop when I'm working in the office (maybe plugged in via USB C in this case), and my Nintendo Switch. I probably wouldn't use them with PS5 unless I wanted a closed back sound temporarily if my girlfriend was making noise as otherwise I use the LCD-GX.

Dec 15, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #682 of 1,717
Yeah I know, I use the iFi zen dac with my PS5 by default but they're are a lot of dacs that it just doesn't recognise.

The Senheiser momentum, which are also USB headphones, had issues on the PS5. They do work when plugged in but it didn't seem like the DAC was being engaged properly and the sound is very thin and hollow compared to using them via bluetooth on a phone. I also had issues with them just not responding and needing to be turned off and on after plugging them into the PS5.

USB is the shittiest standard yet devised for digital audio transmission. Given the lack of magically-convergent group will, or a dominant player who can impose a standard, we are stuck with its maddeningly arcane standards, plethora of connectors, and cable vagaries.

Anyway, the Bathys work perfectly well USB-C from a laptop (and cable debates aside the improvement over bluetooth with any cable is worth the trouble, and the looks you get at the office -- "Did you forget to charge them?" "Do those weird-looking headphones have crappy battery life?" lol). I understand USB-C works perfectly from Android, and I have made it work (exactly once) on my iPhone with the dumb Lightning-OTG adapter > A-C dongle > USB-C cable arrangement.

It seems to meet your requirements generally, but don't expect it to meet the performance of the LCD-GX or any open-back frankly. I would definitely try them on first -- I find the top-of-the-head hotspot enough that I may sell these and try B&O for walking around (which means I'm back to carrying Lirics + an amp to the office)

Dec 15, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #683 of 1,717
USB is the shittiest standard yet devised for digital audio transmission. Given the lack of magically-convergent group will, or a dominant player who can impose a standard, we are stuck with its maddeningly arcane standards, plethora of connectors, and cable vagaries.

Anyway, the Bathys work perfectly well USB-C from a laptop (and cable debates aside the improvement over bluetooth with any cable is worth the trouble, and the looks you get at the office -- "Did you forget to charge them?" "Do those weird-looking headphones have crappy battery life?" lol). I understand USB-C works perfectly from Android, and I have made it work (exactly once) on my iPhone with the dumb Lightning-OTG adapter > A-C dongle > USB-C cable arrangement.

It seems to meet your requirements generally, but don't expect it to meet the performance of the LCD-GX or any open-back frankly. I would definitely try them on first -- I find the top-of-the-head hotspot enough that I may sell these and try B&O for walking around (which means I'm back to carrying Lirics + an amp to the office)

Thanks for your replies. Yeah it definitely seems like a minefield, and for this type of device it feels like it's down to someone plugging them in and finding out.

I think I will be okay with a hotspot on the top of the head because I have never felt any discomfort from any headphones on the top of my head. I have extremely thick, long hair and I think that probably helps avoid discomfort in that area?

Where I do feel uncomfortable sometimes is the earcups, that's what I found uncomfortable on the Momentum 4 wireless, they just had my ears aching after a while. I think my ears are like, really ordinary also, very average in size and protrusion.

I don't expect them to perform like an open back at all, and that's for the best really as I'll be using them in locations where I wouldn't want them to leak sound, I'm just hoping they sound better than the XM5, Momentum 4 and Airpods Max especially. It'd be a nice bonus if they sound decent for gaming on the Switch (and perhaps if they worked on the PS5) but I don't expect the soundstage and imaging to be immersive for games.

Dec 19, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #684 of 1,717
I got my Bathys last friday, very pleased with them so far.
Haven't used them much until today, as they were meant to be used in the office. And wow very pleased with these. Before I owned some Bose QC 45 and I simply didn't use them at all, because the music was not enjoyable with those cans. They were quiet, and they were comfortable, but they just didn't sound good.

Really enjoying these, the only question I have, is about the slight pink/white noise while the headphones is on. It is acceptable, but still enough to somehow make me think they might be a faulty pair. I don't hear it while music is playing, but during quiet parts of the music it is noticeable. When there is no music, it is noticeable although really softly. Acceptable if this is simply what it is (still wish there was a "no ANC" option instead of "soft ANC"). But I would to know if this is normal, or that I have a faulty pair.

Dec 19, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #685 of 1,717
Haven't used them much until today, as they were meant to be used in the office. And wow very pleased with these. Before I owned some Bose QC 45 and I simply didn't use them at all, because the music was not enjoyable with those cans. They were quiet, and they were comfortable, but they just didn't sound good.

Really enjoying these, the only question I have, is about the slight pink/white noise while the headphones is on. It is acceptable, but still enough to somehow make me think they might be a faulty pair. I don't hear it while music is playing, but during quiet parts of the music it is noticeable. When there is no music, it is noticeable although really softly. Acceptable if this is simply what it is (still wish there was a "no ANC" option instead of "soft ANC"). But I would to know if this is normal, or that I have a faulty pair.
What ANC mode is it on when you notice the "pink noise"? When ANC is on silent or soft, mine is dead quiet. Transparent mode is when you can hear some white noise.

Dec 20, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #686 of 1,717
What ANC mode is it on when you notice the "pink noise"? When ANC is on silent or soft, mine is dead quiet. Transparent mode is when you can hear some white noise.
In all 3 modes, although it is much louder in Transparent mode.

Somewhat of a pointless comparison to make it clear:
The noise in silent or soft is about 1 or 2 out of 10. The noise in transparency would be around 6 or 7 out of 10. 10/10 is normal music listening volume.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #687 of 1,717

Is it more or less prevalent than the QC45 ? The latter's background noise was to me quite a bit more elevated than some other more recent ANC headphones.
I could notice the Bathys' background noise in all modes - this is inevitable ATM with ANC headphones - but it didn't sound to me quite as annoying as the QC45.

Dec 25, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #688 of 1,717
Is it more or less prevalent than the QC45 ? The latter's background noise was to me quite a bit more elevated than some other more recent ANC headphones.
I could notice the Bathys' background noise in all modes - this is inevitable ATM with ANC headphones - but it didn't sound to me quite as annoying as the QC45.

I only have a small amount background noise in transparency mode. None in other modes. I think anything else is a bug. There is a little white noise in transparency mode because it's using the mics to pick up external sound, so it's picking up a little something all of the time.

On that note, the transparency mode is really really good in my opinion. While the ANC is not amazing I think it is good enough, transparency mode feels very natural. Taking them on or off my head feels almost the same, that's more than can be said for Sony XM4/5s, Momentum 4's or my Nura True's.

Dec 25, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #689 of 1,717
For those trying to connect the Bathys to an iPhone using DAC mode: I connected them through a Fiio LT-LT1 with a USB-C female to male extension cable. Works like a charm.

Dec 26, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #690 of 1,717
Had the Bathys for about 5 days now and very impressed. Slowly catching up with this thread (page 33!!) and must say it's been a real treat reading most of the posts - informative and critical in both positive and negative ways.
I have dabbled in Wireless phones before but usually always reverted back to wired, I'm normally Sennheiser through and through. When I saw Darko's review of the Bathys it piqued my interest for a set of phones that I would use 90% listening in the house at night (so minimal need for ANC) and also a pair that gave the flexibility of outside or travel. I was even more intrigued to hear that Focal appeared to be focusing particularly on the sound quality too, which will be my sole reason for getting them as I wont be using for phone calls and/or work.
Initially I was a bit "meh" straight out the box, thought they were a bit harsh in top end, but then noticed on day 2 or 3 that this was not an issue. I then started to use the DAC and things improved a touch more. I also have a Mojo 2 and an Audioquest 3.5mm cable and found this to be a terrific way to listen.
I've not bought many pairs of headphones over the years really(especially compared to lots of you guys!), and always assumed I'd never be able to improve on my Sennheiser HD800S unless I paid even more money, however at approx half the price I reckon the Bathy's comfortably outperform the HD800S.

As well as catching up on posts here and elsewhere I have been watching a few videos. Apologies if this review from ecoustics has been posted and discussed on this and the other Bathys thread (I've yet to start it!) but I found those guys to be very enthusiastic as well as knowledgable about Wireless headphones in general and they gave the Bathys a glowing review.
I'll post them below- their dedicated review of Bathys and a shootout with PX8's

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back