Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Dec 9, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #661 of 1,708
Perhaps an odd request, but are these recognised as input/output if connected via USB to a PS5?

I have my PS5 on my desk next to my work PC so I might plug them in from time to time, if only to hear how they sound before switching back to my LCD GX.

Dec 10, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #662 of 1,708
Is it possible to connect the BTD 600 to a Samsung S22 ?
I'm looking for a way to get AptX HD (at least) wirelessly from the S22 ultra.
I have the PX7 and able to get only AptX with 16bit (Planning to replace them with the Bathys or PX8)
Does the btd 600 work with the S22 ultra? It's on the way and my primary use case is to get aptX adaptive with the Bathys to my phone.

BTW the DAC mode works flawlessly with my phone. You just need to set the headphones to DAC mode before using it.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #664 of 1,708
Dec 12, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #666 of 1,708
Hi guys, I will buy/get the Bathys soon. As I am an iPhone user (and sound ist top priority to me), I will most likely use the Bathys with either the USB cable OR the 3.5mm cable (with the Questyle M15 dongle). That being said, did you guys hear any difference between those two (wired) options? (USB vs. with a good dongle) ??

Dec 12, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #667 of 1,708
Hi guys, I will buy/get the Bathys soon. As I am an iPhone user (and sound ist top priority to me), I will most likely use the Bathys with either the USB cable OR the 3.5mm cable (with the Questyle M15 dongle). That being said, did you guys hear any difference between those two (wired) options? (USB vs. with a good dongle) ??
I use my bathys for live audio mixing before with the 3.5mm cable and got pretty good result. I didn't notice any differences between USB and 3.5mm as both still using the DAC from the bathys iirc.

Dec 12, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #668 of 1,708
The M15 is one of the very best dongles out right now, we absolutely loved it in our reviews. Since the Bathys is pretty clean signature-wise, you may not hear that much difference; but the Questyle sound is pretty much as pure and crisp as it gets in my opinion. It is a fabulous choice.

Dec 13, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #669 of 1,708
The M15 is one of the very best dongles out right now, we absolutely loved it in our reviews. Since the Bathys is pretty clean signature-wise, you may not hear that much difference; but the Questyle sound is pretty much as pure and crisp as it gets in my opinion. It is a fabulous choice.
Good to hear, so in that case I can sell my M15 soon and save some money 👍
Not that the M15 wouldn‘t be good. I love that dongle. But with Bathys it probably won’t be necessary.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #670 of 1,708
Considering these as an upgrade from Sony XM3s. Can you easily skip forward/back with the buttons in podcasts? I listen to a lot of podcasts, and it'd be a pain to get my phone out of my pocket every time I want to do that.

Dec 13, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #671 of 1,708
Considering these as an upgrade from Sony XM3s. Can you easily skip forward/back with the buttons in podcasts? I listen to a lot of podcasts, and it'd be a pain to get my phone out of my pocket every time I want to do that.
It's just a simple double click on the middle button to skip forward and triple click to go back

Dec 13, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #672 of 1,708
Just going to ask again on the off chance someone is willing to test for me, what happens if you plug these in via USB to PS5? Is it recognised? Is the mic recognised? How does it sound?

Would rarely use it that way but I want to know if it works like that at all as it would be a value add. I could use this as a gaming headset in a pinch.

Also, how does it perform paired with a Nintendo Switch? How does it sound, how is the latency?

Dec 14, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #673 of 1,708
just got mine today. it's surprisingly good sounding bluetooth headphone (with aptx connection with my samsung mobile)! definitely better than drop panda, 1000xm3, xm5 and mw4 i got. hifiman r10d is not strictly a bluetooth headphone but i think the bathys actually sounds better then the r10d with the bluemini dongle.

for a new player in this ultra competitive market, focal does quite well. the pairing is smooth and google fast pair comes up right after i powered it on without any hiccup. the app is a bit more confusing though. u need to swipe to go to the focal page (not the naim page) to be able to pair with the app (the only way to alter many settings). and the app forces you to agree to disclose your location and their privacy policy. worse yet, the app asks to update the firmware after my first attempt to setup. the downloading progressed reasonably quick at just a few mins (sony took 20mins!) but it got stuck in the "installing new firmware" for over 30mins and still no sign of completion. despite the connection was re-established and music came through normally. . .

apart from that, the headphones are well made. i think the earpads and the upper side of the headband are genuine leather. the underside of the headband is some mircofiber. everything looks good, the metal yoke, the plastic (and illuminating) grille.

all in all, it's much more polished than i expected from a new player (even a company as well established as focal). and it helps a lot that my local dealer is willing to give a bit of discount to make the deal more sweet 🙂

Edited:
I tried several time to update the firmware when the apps promptly me but failed. Finally i ignored the prompt and go inside the apps setting to dim the lighting effect. Then i chose to update from there and this time everything weekend smoothly!

I took out my Stellia to compare side by side and the size of the cups of bathys are much smaller despite both used 40mm drivers. The bathys drivers are mounted at very steep inclination like ATH cans but i didn't notice that from my utopia og and Stellia. The pad thickness looks similar to me though.

Attachments

• 20221214_213755.jpg
    20221214_213755.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221214_212633.jpg
    20221214_212633.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221214_210314.jpg
    20221214_210314.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #674 of 1,708
What are the best USB-C cables people have tried? There aren't many -- AQ Carbon, etc.. I love the Wireworld Starlight 8, see below. Who else makes a 2m USB-C cable?

I just received my Bathys (after getting a faulty pair), and listened again (I had heard them at a store) over bluetooth, from macbook and iphone. Meh. Probably not going to keep me going, what can I get for them now, what is the return policy.

Plugged in the cheap-looking, provided USB-C cable (this is the use case I was hoping would make at--the-office listening beter) -- substantially better. Harshness is gone (as expected given no BT), with some real acoustic information filled in behind (baroque period instruments in this case) players. Great details revealed in studio-produced pop with crisp sibilants and no rough bass overhang.

On a lark, plugged in the (.6m - far too short) Wireworld Starlight 8 USB 3.1 USB-C cable, still in the box, that I bought for the Mojo2 I'm not using. Holly JackRabbit Crickets. This DAC has a lot of room for improvement over the very perfunctory cable they've provided. The Starlight added warmth, dynamics, and low level details that, while not at the Utopia level, are a far sight more than I'd expect out of even a ~1k hp and ~500 dac/amp. No will compare to my travel solution (Liric + DFR, not a fair pairing I know).

This is what I was looking for. Acceptable walking around sound; great sound (with, yes, an expensive cable) while sitting. ...Asking Wireworld if they will make a longer cable -- this one only comes in .6m and 1m.
Wait for 2 month and Bathys sound so much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back