Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Nov 7, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #496 of 1,708
Hi, really sideways question but still gonna ask it. How do u think the Bathys compare to the Campfire Audio Dorado 2020 in terms of technical performance? Considering one is an IEM and one is a cheaper bluetooth headphone, I'm really not sure.

Nov 7, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #497 of 1,708
Hi, really sideways question but still gonna ask it. How do u think the Bathys compare to the Campfire Audio Dorado 2020 in terms of technical performance? Considering one is an IEM and one is a cheaper bluetooth headphone, I'm really not sure.

The "it's a headphone versus IEM" argument can be made here, but the comparison in terms of the overall sound are quite similar.

Both are incredibly musical, engaging and have a nice amount of impactful bass and sparkly highs. The Bathys is more neutral than the Dorado, and it's highs are more relaxed, whereas for me the Dorado can be quite piercing/bright.

I personally would choose the Bathys over the Dorado because it's the better tuned option, but to each their own.

Nov 7, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #498 of 1,708
The "it's a headphone versus IEM" argument can be made here, but the comparison in terms of the overall sound are quite similar.

Both are incredibly musical, engaging and have a nice amount of impactful bass and sparkly highs. The Bathys is more neutral than the Dorado, and it's highs are more relaxed, whereas for me the Dorado can be quite piercing/bright.

I personally would choose the Bathys over the Dorado because it's the better tuned option, but to each their own.
Hi thank you very much, I'm just in a bit of a weird position.

I have the Dorado's and love them, listening of my Asus ROG Phone 5 with its amazing built in DAC. However I recently upgraded to the Google Pixel 7 with has no headphone jack, forcing me to buy a dedicated portable amp, which I don't really want to.

I'm now really considering getting the Bathys, as you just pointed out, they're tuned quite similarly, would work out cheaper and have ANC. The pocketability of the Dorado's is no longer a issue for me because I recently bought a pair of TWS earphones.

Could you comment on the soundstage performance of the two?

Nov 8, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #499 of 1,708
I got a pair for my Son’s Birthday yesterday, but the clamp force is too much for him.
He actually tried my Pair last week and said they were a comfortable fit, but obviously teenagers don’t have a good attention span these days.

Cannot return these to Store as they only do store credit.

So just put on eBay for £499 for UK shipping only.
Never even been used. Just opened and tried on for a few minutes.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #500 of 1,708
I discovered a major negative point on the Bluetooth implementation on Bathys.
As Bathys uses AptX Adaptive it is supposed to be backwards compatible with AptX HD (because AptX specifications on QUALCOMM website show’s compatibility with AptX HD). This is important if you have a source device which can transmit AptX HD, but not the newer AptX Adaptive.

I have such a device - Nvidia Shield TV PRO. Which is the main reason I purchased Bathys so i can listen to Movies in wireless. Unfortunately Bathys falls to 16bit Apt X instead of 24bit Apt X HD. i know this doesn’t sound nearly as good. The reason is my previously owned Sennheiser Momentum 4 which is also Apt X Adaptive when connected to Nvidia Shield would receive Apt X HD.

Something gone wrong in this implementation.
It may not be that something went wrong. Focal may have just chosen to not implement backwards compatibility. Manufacturers get to chose which BT codec they will support and how it's implemented in their produces.

Nov 8, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #501 of 1,708
Hi thank you very much, I'm just in a bit of a weird position.

I have the Dorado's and love them, listening of my Asus ROG Phone 5 with its amazing built in DAC. However I recently upgraded to the Google Pixel 7 with has no headphone jack, forcing me to buy a dedicated portable amp, which I don't really want to.

I'm now really considering getting the Bathys, as you just pointed out, they're tuned quite similarly, would work out cheaper and have ANC. The pocketability of the Dorado's is no longer a issue for me because I recently bought a pair of TWS earphones.

Could you comment on the soundstage performance of the two?

Dorado has decent soundstage for an IEM and Focal has decent soundstage for an IEM so I'd say the Bathys still wins just out of pure "it's a headphone" factor.

Nov 8, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #502 of 1,708
It may not be that something went wrong. Focal may have just chosen to not implement backwards compatibility. Manufacturers get to chose which BT codec they will support and how it's implemented in their produces.

Correct. Far too many folks assume this and naturally thing "Focal bad, I didn't get what I wanted." yet there are hundreds of choices and hoops to go through.

I wish customers could be a little more understanding of:
  1. Product limitations (the Bathys was never designed to be backwards compatible).
  2. Partner limitations (perhaps, Qualcomm had their own reasons for Focal not letting them implement them).
  3. Price limitations (perhaps, Focal decided to not implement backwards compatibility because not wanting to raise the price any further)
  4. Timeline limitations revolving around any of those three things.
That said, Focal is a very feedback community focused brand. If you say things, they will listen. A dealer like us will tell them what folks want to improve, and they will listen.

Communicating your needs is also why people like me have a job!

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #504 of 1,708
Nov 10, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #506 of 1,708
Just got this today and really liking the sound of it. I am all for sound quality and the Bathys doesn't disappoint in that regard. For me, ANC, Transparency and call quality are not that important.
I also bought B&W PX8 last Monday and I will be returning it tomorrow. The sound is more engaging than the Bathys, but it is quite muddy and a little harsh in the upper treble. The Bathys sound presentation is more to my liking.

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #509 of 1,708
Just got this today and really liking the sound of it. I am all for sound quality and the Bathys doesn't disappoint in that regard. For me, ANC, Transparency and call quality are not that important.
I also bought B&W PX8 last Monday and I will be returning it tomorrow. The sound is more engaging than the Bathys, but it is quite muddy and a little harsh in the upper treble. The Bathys sound presentation is more to my liking.
I did the same with my px8 after getting the bathys, the px8 just sounds very muddy in comparison to the bathys in my opinion. I have heard more engaging headphones (albeit non wireless) than the px8 that aren't as bloated and personally I'd even take the momentum 3 over the PX8.

Nov 10, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #510 of 1,708
Considering getting the Bathys and selling or trading my Radiance to do so, this way I can be more mobile with my closed back.
I already have as my open back the Aryas for my desk top setup, so I wouldn't mind a high end closed back.
Does anyone have both the Bathys and Radiance to help explain if there is a major difference lost in sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back