Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
Sep 7, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #1,817 of 2,598
~ I do not own any of the hpa in the title of this thread. But I do own the Flux Lab Acoustics FA-22. What a headphone amplifier!
~ I have currently a number of hpa: tube OTC, tube OTL, tube/SS hybrid, and SS. I will say right off that the FA-22 in a short time, after a two-day warm-up, displaced the Violectric V280 as my favourite SS hpa. To me, the FA-22 is a fighting trim V280 with faster reflexes and all of the V280’s musicality. (The V280 is no slouch when it comes to dynamics and transients!).
~ A special quality, to me anyway, about the FA-22 is that - unlike many SS hpa - the ‘air’ between instruments and performers is not ‘electrically energised’ but is left ‘inert’. This for me dramatically adds to the realism of what I hear. In this particular sense, the FA-22 is tube-like. As a result, the FA-22 conveys hall/studio ambience and reverberation in the most convincing fashion that I have heard with SS.
~ I get goosebumps listening to acoustic bass, female vocals, massed strings, riding cymbals with polyrhythmic snare brush work…with the FA-22. What else can I say?
~ For the price listed on the FLA website, the FA-22 is an unrelenting bargain!…👍😆🤪
1161FD00-A299-4946-A30D-C3DA962F1E98.jpeg

Sep 8, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #1,819 of 2,598
~ I do not own any of the hpa in the title of this thread. But I do own the Flux Lab Acoustics FA-22. What a headphone amplifier!
~ I have currently a number of hpa: tube OTC, tube OTL, tube/SS hybrid, and SS. I will say right off that the FA-22 in a short time, after a two-day warm-up, displaced the Violectric V280 as my favourite SS hpa. To me, the FA-22 is a fighting trim V280 with faster reflexes and all of the V280’s musicality. (The V280 is no slouch when it comes to dynamics and transients!).
~ A special quality, to me anyway, about the FA-22 is that - unlike many SS hpa - the ‘air’ between instruments and performers is not ‘electrically energised’ but is left ‘inert’. This for me dramatically adds to the realism of what I hear. In this particular sense, the FA-22 is tube-like. As a result, the FA-22 conveys hall/studio ambience and reverberation in the most convincing fashion that I have heard with SS.
~ I get goosebumps listening to acoustic bass, female vocals, massed strings, riding cymbals with polyrhythmic snare brush work…with the FA-22. What else can I say?
~ For the price listed on the FLA website, the FA-22 is an unrelenting bargain!…👍😆🤪1161FD00-A299-4946-A30D-C3DA962F1E98.jpeg
Been getting the itch to add a good SS to the mix, and this post just put the FA-22 in the number one spot on my list. Thanks for sharing bro!

Sep 8, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #1,821 of 2,598
If you guys have a balanced DAC then you should definitely consider FA-12.
I will post my review in about a week but I can already mention that I am thrilled with it.
I do have a balanced DAC (Mojo Audio EVO Mystique). It is tremendous with the FA-22.

Sep 8, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #1,823 of 2,598
If you guys have a balanced DAC then you should definitely consider FA-12.
I will post my review in about a week but I can already mention that I am thrilled with it.
Interested in this, as I do have a balanced DAC (Morpheus), and I am trying to decide between the FA-12 and FA-22. I am curious why one would go with one or the other, if they have a balanced DAC.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #1,824 of 2,598
@Wes S
First decision factor should definitely be the sound signature.
I haven't heard the 22 but Vitaliy told me that there are several differences so I guess that it depends on synergy.
Second factor should be if you are stubborn like me (!) and you like the signal to remain intact and fully balanced without converting.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #1,825 of 2,598
@Wes S
I haven't heard the 22 but Vitaliy told me that there are several differences so I guess that it depends on synergy.
Second factor should be if you are stubborn like me (!) and you like the signal to remain intact and fully balanced without converting.
Got ya, and the second factor is a big one for me, so looks like it's most likely gonna be the FA-12.

Sep 8, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #1,826 of 2,598
Got ya, and the second factor is a big one for me, so looks like it's most likely gonna be the FA-12.
The FA-12 pairs great with everything as it is neutral, transparent and linear.
Add a touch of harmonic warmth, clean background , excellent detail retrieval, great dynamics and huge soundstage.

FA 22 from what I know should be more hard hitting but not as deep in the bass and definitely less warm.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #1,827 of 2,598
Interested in this, as I do have a balanced DAC (Morpheus), and I am trying to decide between the FA-12 and FA-22. I am curious why one would go with one or the other, if they have a balanced DAC.

FA-12 tuning is a bit warmer/thicker/heavier bass. FA-22 is a bit faster/lighter/detailed. Speaking to a modest degree relative to this amp. This is an oversimplification, but for the three base Flux amps the sound is similar but each is tuned slightly differently:

FA-12 (bass/thicker) - FA-10 (even handling of bass/treble/mid) - FA-22 (mid/detailed).

Bonus consideration would be FA-10 is a power-pusher (if you need a ton of voltage), FA-12 is true-balanced for folks who look for that.

Sep 8, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #1,828 of 2,598
@Wes S
I will chime in with this: the FA-22 works beautifully with ZMF Auteur, Beyerdynamic DT-880 600 ohm, Senn HD-600, Gjallarhorn JM Edition, Focal Clear OG…when headphone cable is in SE socket or in XLR socket. (The DAC is connected to FA-22 by XLR -> XLR.)

Sep 8, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #1,829 of 2,598
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back