Flux Lab Acoustics Dual Mono Headphone Amplifier, VOLOT - Mythical Giant or Giant Killer ? News, Speculation, Impressions, reviews and discussion
Oct 12, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #511 of 996
quite honestly I would find it insulting to send me a part for such a potentially dangerous situation..I am no expert in fixing or installing and would be nervous to ever use it under such a circumstance
Tbh it's not more difficult than changing a light. The most tricky part for me was to screw all those tiny screws when closing the amp.
Would it have been better not to have this problem? Ofc yeah. But it's great that the solution was this easy.

Oct 12, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #512 of 996
Yes it is a free Volot and I have already been refunded for the one I returned to them

Oct 12, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #513 of 996
I think folks need to appreciate that a lot of these new ( and frankly very innovative) companies are little more than hobbyist's with some ambition, and the price reflects that. If one of the more established brands was making an amplifier like this, it would cost two to three times as much. I think the risk is worth it, but it seems like a lot of people want everything, ( top drawer design, manufacture after sales service....... Oh, and a third of the price as well please!) and it just isn't realistic. Seems to me like flux are doing a good job providing innovative and interesting products at a reasonable price, and are doing their best to provide a good aftermarket service. People need to chill!
This is quite fair. Unfortunately for them, the worst timing of the world pandemic is kicking their ass from a supply and optics view.

I still might pick this up and compare to CFA3 which is simply crushing it.

Oct 12, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #514 of 996
I think folks need to appreciate that a lot of these new ( and frankly very innovative) companies are little more than hobbyist's with some ambition, and the price reflects that. If one of the more established brands was making an amplifier like this, it would cost two to three times as much. I think the risk is worth it, but it seems like a lot of people want everything, ( top drawer design, manufacture after sales service....... Oh, and a third of the price as well please!) and it just isn't realistic. Seems to me like flux are doing a good job providing innovative and interesting products at a reasonable price, and are doing their best to provide a good aftermarket service. People need to chill!

Really well said!

Vitaliy and his team are some of the most creative, not to mention professional audio engineers currently working in headphone amplification, which is a minute niche market within the broader hifi market. They are well established in Ukraine and quite a bit more than hobby'ists, but as i say this is a small niche, which without the likes of Flux, Headamp, etc, etc we'd all be scratching about trying to find amplification capable of driving the modern TOTL HP's we all love. Do you think there's anyone at Sony or LG or any of the large consumer electronics companies that spends 24/7 developing headphone amps that might be capable of running the few hundred Susvaras that are knocking about the world?? Considering the challenges that geography, COVID decimated workforce and now post COVID supply chain create, Flux have managed to build and sell worldwide game changing headphone amps in terms of value and performance like the FA10 and 12, with next to no issues. The Volot is in an incredible achievement, which has had one teething problem that they have bent over backwards to fix. People only need to take a cursory look at the componentry used to see there very little margin in the VOLOT and thats before you consider all the costs of R&D, labour, marketing, aftersales, etc, etc, so which would you prefer, a VOLOT that cost £6-7K from a big company where you are paying to cover 50-60% dealer/ distributor margin and big marketing/advertising campaign, or a VOLOT that cost £2K, sold to you direct made by company that lives and breaths headphone amps, pushing the boundaries of whats possible

The good thing is, we're all customers in a free market so you can choose what sort of product you want, at the price you want to pay and made by the company you prefer.

Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant and i have no affiliation with Flux, i've just been lucky enough to enjoy their products for a good few years and not to mention the customer service is provided by the man who makes the machines, all of which makes me feel even as just a customer that integral to the development of the brand. Not a feeling a i got when i bought my HPA4.

I havent pulled the trigger on a VOLOT yet, but that day is getting closer and closer, especially now the preamp is on the horizon and theres no way i'll be parting company with my FA10 anytime soon.

Oct 12, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #515 of 996
if they refunded his money and then sent him a free unit I take back my criticism

Oct 12, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #516 of 996
if they refunded his money and then sent him a free unit I take back my criticism
Yes, and in that case, I'd like a faulty unit too please, flames would be nice.

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #517 of 996
She is quite a beauty :beyersmile:

7Z72ZRr.jpg

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #518 of 996
We need impressions though, how about it?

Oct 13, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #519 of 996
We need impressions though, how about it?

I don't have much experience with high end amplifiers, but I was gobsmacked immediately after listening to it for a couple hours.

I came from a Burson Soloist 3XP, and the difference on it made on my Susvara was so dramatic that in retrospect listening to the Sus on the Soloist was almost like having the sound come out like a deflated balloon. I could hear the detail and resolution, but the overall sound was very flat and limp. With the Volot, the soundstage, separation, and dynamics improved dramatically. It's like the "balloon of sound" completely expanded. I have a better sense of the overall image of the sound and can pick out the individual layers of the sound so much more easily. It also has this great overall smoothness without having any loss in detail or clarity.

I'm not sure what else I can say on it, but I echo a lot of the same sentiments from Soundnews's review. I've only had it for 2 days, so I will see how much more the sound improves :)

Oct 13, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #520 of 996
So far I've only had bad luck with the SUSVARA.
I have now received 2 Susvara that were defective and I am now waiting for number 3.
The First one was Blown away from the Volot and the second one had Build Problems :/

But what I've heard so far has been rather mixed.
I have to increase the volume to at least 80 ~ 85% even on High + so that it is loud enough.
I didn't have that problem with my AudioValve RKV3, it had more power for that.

But good is that it stays really cool, I expected it to be as warm as the RKV3.
But so far I'm satisfied with the sound, need more time with it.
Could be even more dynamic and have more oomph but the Susvara is a relaxed one anyway.

Oct 13, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #521 of 996
So far I've only had bad luck with the SUSVARA.
I have now received 2 Susvara that were defective and I am now waiting for number 3.
The First one was Blown away from the Volot and the second one had Build Problems :/

But what I've heard so far has been rather mixed.
I have to increase the volume to at least 80 ~ 85% even on High + so that it is loud enough.
I didn't have that problem with my AudioValve RKV3, it had more power for that.

But good is that it stays really cool, I expected it to be as warm as the RKV3.
But so far I'm satisfied with the sound, need more time with it.
Could be even more dynamic and have more oomph but the Susvara is a relaxed one anyway.
Takes a couple of them before you get the perfect pair. Same thing happened to me, my first pair blew out on the first listen. Then I waited for months to get my second pair, luckily was great.

Ive had similar experiences with Abyss and DCA, so it's not just a Hifiman thing.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #523 of 996
I don't have much experience with high end amplifiers, but I was gobsmacked immediately after listening to it for a couple hours.

I came from a Burson Soloist 3XP, and the difference on it made on my Susvara was so dramatic that in retrospect listening to the Sus on the Soloist was almost like having the sound come out like a deflated balloon. I could hear the detail and resolution, but the overall sound was very flat and limp. With the Volot, the soundstage, separation, and dynamics improved dramatically. It's like the "balloon of sound" completely expanded. I have a better sense of the overall image of the sound and can pick out the individual layers of the sound so much more easily. It also has this great overall smoothness without having any loss in detail or clarity.

I'm not sure what else I can say on it, but I echo a lot of the same sentiments from Soundnews's review. I've only had it for 2 days, so I will see how much more the sound improves :)
Eeeexcellent! I loooves me the sight and sound of some gobsmacked and popping VOLOT balloons myself :) :)

3041695-inline-gjptjph.gif
giphy.gif
8d05d5845b23ba5ced2389a786da42b0.gif
17512186.gif

Oct 19, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #524 of 996
A bit strange question but important for me. I would like to know the brand of the 63 volt 22000 uf capacitors. I own a Pathos InPol2 to which I have replaced the original Itelcond capacitors with some Kendeil and the improvement has been incredible. To the eye they seem to me to be excellent Vishay but I would like to have confirmation from those who have opened it or know the product.

Oct 19, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #525 of 996
Volot :gun:

Preorders open again :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back