Flip Tips (or FlipTips) - Prepare to have your mind blown
May 14, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #31 of 84
Ah, super idea. I haven’t flipped a grey one yet. Nor the one that came with ZS4/ZS3E.
i've flipped 14 black pairs and 14 grey pairs, size L; it's a great improvement due to wider bore plus better grip; and 3 pairs of each color size M, with different core length, for iem measurements (i'll measure and compare original and flipped fr soon). so my gratitude for this amazing find, master

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #32 of 84
I have tried one medium pair of Starlines but it seems too big for me. It mades the iem stick out too far from my ear. Unflipped, a medium Starline works well for me with many iems. Has anyone been able to successfully flip a small Starline yet so that it is usable?

May 14, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #33 of 84
I have tried one medium pair of Starlines but it seems too big for me. It mades the iem stick out too far from my ear. Unflipped, a medium Starline works well for me with many iems. Has anyone been able to successfully flip a small Starline yet so that it is usable?

Since the core sticks out longer with the mod, maybe either trim the core back shorter or else save the flip for use on nozzles that are so short and stubby they cause fit problems.

For example, the nozzle on the NiceHCK EP10 is so short, I could never get a decent fit without using SpinFits (because of their long core that sticks out of the bottom of the tip). But I didn’t like how SpinFits affected the sound.

I’ve since tried Flip Tips in the EP10, and they’re perfect for me now.

As far as flip tipping a S Starline, I tried it a few posts ago and posted photos (post #21). It makes the shape very squared off, like the tire of a car. Not usable IMO.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #34 of 84
As far as flip tipping a S Starline, I tried it a few posts ago and posted photos (post #21). It makes the shape very squared off, like the tire of a car. Not usable IMO.

My husband's first attempt at flipping the large tips resulted in that squared off look on one of them. It looked exactly like your photo of the small one. He had to coax it into shape. Can you not try that with the small?

May 14, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #35 of 84
My husband's first attempt at flipping the large tips resulted in that squared off look on one of them. It looked exactly like your photo of the small one. He had to coax it into shape. Can you not try that with the small?

Sure, I’ll try again with a S tip later tonight

May 14, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #36 of 84
Sure, I’ll try again with a S tip later tonight

I wasn’t really able to reshape them as you said. They either popped back into the square shape after a few seconds, or they wouldn’t reliably fit onto an IEM nozzle.

It appears that you have the magic touch that I am lacking.

On a related note, I tried the grey Starlines (M in my case) as suggested by @hakuzen, and I like them even better than the black Starlines. They seem to seal and stay in place better, which I assume due to the harder silicone.

May 14, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #37 of 84
I wasn’t really able to reshape them as you said. They either popped back into the square shape after a few seconds, or they wouldn’t reliably fit onto an IEM nozzle.

It appears that you have the magic touch that I am lacking.

On a related note, I tried the grey Starlines (M in my case) as suggested by @hakuzen, and I like them even better than the black Starlines. They seem to seal and stay in place better, which I assume due to the harder silicone.

it was the large he was able to reshape. He has not tried a small. I cannot do it at all. If I try I will trigger that knuckle locking thing that happens if I try to make a fist etc. with my left hand..

We have no grey Starlines... unless one came on one of my husbands earlier KZs and just got thrown into one of the huge bags of tips.. We could probably fill a suitcase by now.

May 14, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #38 of 84
it was the large he was able to reshape. He has not tried a small. I cannot do it at all. If I try I will trigger that knuckle locking thing that happens if I try to make a fist etc. with my left hand..

We have no grey Starlines... unless one came on one of my husbands earlier KZs and just got thrown into one of the huge bags of tips.. We could probably fill a suitcase by now.

Oh sorry my bad, I misread your message. Yeah, the S are just too small for the mod I’m afraid. Unless someone has square ears.

Also, I know what you mean about being able to fill a suitcase. I have that many tips as well.

I recently reorganized them, and made a separate tip rolling case. It’s a clear divided case with about 20-something compartment. I put 1-2 pairs of tips in each. Now when I want to tip roll, I can bring out the small divided case instead of bringing out the ‘suitcase’ and digging through dozens of ziplock baggies.

Jun 25, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #39 of 84
I flip tipped a bunch of Starlines today and passed them out to a couple of friends.

The screw method @hakuzen shows above is the easiest method by far. You can also use a large nail (sometimes called a penny nail), which does the same thing.

I did a bunch of them in about 10 seconds each.

I did this with a 3/4" jack adapter since I don't have screws lying around. Very easy and turned a TRN ear tip into something usable on my acoustune 1650... was finding it very hard to find tips that fit my right ear properly but this seems to fit the bill!

Jul 31, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #40 of 84
I finally found a use for my flipped pair of M Starlines. When I had tried it with CIEM style iems, they did not lie flat enough in my ear.

I had tried a couple of tips on my Moondrop Crescents but nothing seemed quite right. I listened to a couple of albums using regular M Starlines and felt like they needed to open up a bit and that there was a bit too much bass. So I put the flip tips on... and once I just shoved them well in, suddenly I had more comfort and the Crescents now sound awesome!

Someone looking at this photo might think these are foams because they kind of have that shape. I was afraid they might flip back when I took them out, but they didn't.

10329344.jpg

Aug 1, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #41 of 84
Very cool.. just tried this with my Sony EX800ST and it opens up the sound quite a bit.

Aug 8, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #42 of 84
I'm simply posting here to thank @Slater for this fantastic discovery.

It really works on the ZS7, improving confort, seal and opening up the sound. Now the ZS7 has treble.
It also works like a charm in the Moondrop Crescent, providing a great fit and more open sound.

Also, I thank @hakuzen, the cable master, for his great method of inverting the tips.

Inverted Medium Starlines rulezzz :smile_phones:

Aug 8, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #43 of 84
I'm simply posting here to thank @Slater for this fantastic discovery.

It really works on the ZS7, improving confort, seal and opening up the sound. Now the ZS7 has treble.
It also works like a charm in the Moondrop Crescent, providing a great fit and more open sound.

Also, I thank @hakuzen, the cable master, for his great method of inverting the tips.

Inverted Medium Starlines rulezzz :smile_phones:

Glad I could share this with the community :)

I also totally agree that the process is 10xs easier (and safer) with the excellent inversion method @hakuzen came up with!

Aug 8, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #44 of 84
Glad I could share this with the community :)

I also totally agree that the process is 10xs easier (and safer) with the excellent inversion method @hakuzen came up with!
thank you, but you didn't only discover this but also provided the method: you told about a golf tee, i couldn't find any, and just tried the more similar object i could find around (a screw)

Dec 22, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #45 of 84
Also, I know what you mean about being able to fill a suitcase. I have that many tips as well.

I recently reorganized them, and made a separate tip rolling case. It’s a clear divided case with about 20-something compartment. I put 1-2 pairs of tips in each. Now when I want to tip roll, I can bring out the small divided case instead of bringing out the ‘suitcase’ and digging through dozens of ziplock baggies.

@Slater I know this is an old post, but what kind of organization case are you using for your tips? I want to get something like this.

thank you, but you didn't only discover this but also provided the method: you told about a golf tee, i couldn't find any, and just tried the more similar object i could find around (a screw)

I didn't want to use a nail because I was worried about damaging the tip, so I used a q-tip cotton swab. It worked great.

I am now using medium flipped starlines with my BLON BL-03, and the fit, sound and comfort is greatly improved! Now I just need my keyboard o-rings to arrive to put on the nozzles for an even deeper fit, and I think the fit will be near perfect then

Users who are viewing this thread

Back