Flip Tips (or FlipTips) - Prepare to have your mind blown
Dec 22, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #46 of 84
@Slater I know this is an old post, but what kind of organization case are you using for your tips? I want to get something like this.

I didn't want to use a nail because I was worried about damaging the tip, so I used a q-tip cotton swab. It worked great.

I am now using medium flipped starlines with my BLON BL-03, and the fit, sound and comfort is greatly improved! Now I just need my keyboard o-rings to arrive to put on the nozzles for an even deeper fit, and I think the fit will be near perfect then

Great idea about the Q-tip cotton swab! I tried it, and you're right it worked great.

As far as the case, it is a simple clear plastic case. You can buy them many places. Some have dividers that you can move around, others don’t.

Here is a photo of one of them (it is not my main tip rolling case, but it is a spare case I use for storing other spare tips):

9B0F7FC2-3601-418C-ACE7-26E88AD630B7.jpeg

If you look close, you can even see a few Flip Tips lol

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #48 of 84
Thanks for the tip rolling case info @Slater ! I'm going to get something like this.

On another note this "trick" is referenced often in other threads, and really is a gem - my current preferred tip on the BL-03.

...but does anyone know if any other tips besides the medium KZ Starlines work well as "flip tips"?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #49 of 84
Drumroll.....

I have discovered that the medium size Sony MH750 / MH755 tips are also "flipable". It's harder to do than with KZ Starlines. I was unable to do it with a Q-Tip, so I had to use a screw and was very worried that I would tear them with how hard I had to pull on them. The profile that MH755 flip tips create is a bit different than the Starline flip tips - it is not quite as "square", for one. The MH755 tips are also slick on the underside, so the flipped version holds in the ear better than non-flipped. Also, the flipped version is about 1 mm taller, and the widest part of the tip is about 3 mm forward as compared to the non-flipped version (this probably also helps them achieve a better hold), however the widest diameter is the same as the non-flipped version. Flipping creates a horn bell-shaped opening, just as in the Starline flip tips.

inCollage_20200110_151938014.jpg

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #50 of 84
interesting, at the very least an easy mod to do in one evening.

Jun 30, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #51 of 84
This is one of those tricks that could have saved me a lot of aggravation and money if only I had discovered it sooner.

I flipped some Periodic Audio medium tips. These are bigger than most mediums already, and made of a firm silicone, which I favor. Flipped, they do a better job getting a comfortable seal than Spinfit XLs.

The only problem with the arrangement is that on the stubby-nozzled Tin Hifi T4, there isn’t much contact area to secure them. I’ve semi-permanently attached them with silicone sealant, a trick I’ve done with other tip extensions on a set of the weirdly-short nozzled BLON 03. If one does this, it will keep the tips from coming off in one’s ear, but it remains possible to pull the tip off with a little effort without damaging the tip or the nozzle. The sealant scrapes off relatively easily. I’m using pretty standard stuff, since it’s not actually going to come into contact with my ear canal. But for the ultra-careful, there are food-safe silicone sealants, too—and I can’t imagine that a glue that can touch your food would be problematic even with the soft lining of the ear.

Anyway, kudos to the OP, and to the ever-resourceful hakuzen.

Jul 1, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #53 of 84

wow... just wow...

and I knew this until this time...
there u go, and your verdict is ??? mine goes for the flipped final than using custom tips, hope my suggestion was useful, and hope it will help many solaris owners who have fit issues

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #54 of 84
there u go, and your verdict is ??? mine goes for the flipped final than using custom tips, hope my suggestion was useful, and hope it will help many solaris owners who have fit issues
F@ck...

20200701_173943.jpg
insiden during flip inside out...

hmm.. well.. got alot of it.. since have a couple of CFA IEM...

o yeah, sound impression...
yes, it really different... my custome ear tip sound darker then this...
but find the vocal bit more foward... I like the idea...
will try couple of days with this, and give a follow up report on it...

Jul 1, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #55 of 84
F@ck...

20200701_173943.jpg
insiden during flip inside out...

hmm.. well.. got alot of it.. since have a couple of CFA IEM...

o yeah, sound impression...
yes, it really different... my custome ear tip sound darker then this...
but find the vocal bit more foward... I like the idea...
will try couple of days with this, and give a follow up report on it...
try also to go a size lower than usual , i have many of these final tips. Be careful when you flip

Jul 1, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #56 of 84
There are a lot of different effects that make this mod so great: the insertion point gets deeper, the outer walls are close to parallel so that the contact area is increased, and the whole structure takes on greater springiness so that the outward pressure goes up along with the contact area.

And on a piston-shaped shell, they don’t even look silly (that’s a tiny silicone o-ring, like the ones sometimes used as cable sliders, at the base of the nozzle):
Flip Tip - 1.jpeg

Jul 1, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #57 of 84
try also to go a size lower than usual , i have many of these final tips. Be careful when you flip
Ok... to be frank, final e flip mod was not impressive, the forward vocal was compensate with Treble roll off... although the mid Bass felt more puncy with the loss of sub bass...
so my CustomArt eartip still better, although a bit dark sound to compare...

but I don't stop.. 3 small size final e already become the victim... the only small eartip left is from my Avara... what the heck, let's GO...
20200701_205408.jpg

using Q tip cotton swab was not fruitful...
20200701_205954.jpg
so I use clip from my lego...

the result (the red inner)
20200701_210027.jpg

Man, flip over small size is nightmare... loss 3 eartip for this act..

short impression with the small size flip tip...
now this is compareable with my customArt eartip... a bit bright... good all rounder Solaris with better sealing...

20200701_212430.jpg
will try to get more airtime with this...

Thank for the suggestion for smaller size... the risk is worthy...
although I won't do it again, since no more small eartip..

Jul 2, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #58 of 84
Just want to follow on the flip tip mod.
Been using almost a day yesterday, and also tried to other IEM...
Based on that, here is my impression which I categorized :

- Fitting
SOLARIS OG, it really help to get the fitting issued, especially for swallow (& small) ear canal... this related to seal, because good seal make Solaris sound much better....
Also tried this with AVARA Neo, since the small size eartip flip Mod is from it, somehow is not good match... it wont make straight connection between ear tip and IEM, and bend a bit...

- Seal
SOLARIS OG, like I mention above, finding good fitting is part of the sealing needed to make it sound good. It works, but if compare to my CostumeArt eartip (CAE), CAE give better seal even noise reduction from outside.

- Sound Signature
Only Compare to CAE, CAE sounds darker, yet still manage to image upper treble. And much better sub Bass....
my Flip eartip mod, make vocal Solaris OG seems forward due to the roll off in sub Bass & Hi Treble... I also notice that soundstage depth is reduce...

Another concern that happened to me, when using long hour of this eartip flip mod, I find tickle ish , not allergic reaction.. it bother me if I move around....
Well that's my impression...
@8481 I post it here, because I dont want to derail the other thread...

Sep 28, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #59 of 84
I've just done this to the stock small tips that come with the BL-03 and it seems to be helping the comfort so thanks heaps to @Slater for posting this one. Hopefully i'll be able to use them now. It does seem to have loosened up the sound but i'm not super sure. I was running them with some doulbe flange wide bore tips from Oriveti that defiantly made the bass flabbier and still didn't fix the comfort issues with the Blons so if this makes them usable i'll take it.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #60 of 84
Huh, gonna try this mod sometime this week with the (size L) ADV Eartune Fidelity U ear tips I bought recently. In stock form, I get ZERO seal.

My ear canals are recessed, apparently (short nozzle IEMs are a no-go for me), and deep insertion with universal IEM is pretty much no-go; and my outer ear canals are large, though both ear canals shrink significantly further into my ear you go. I have to use large tips on IEMs with nozzles that aren’t too short, and just achieve seal at the outer ear canal, without deep insertion.

Believe it or not, as long as I can get good seal at the outer ear canal opening, sound is great. Deep insertion not necessary for any IEM I have successfully done this with over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back