flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 15, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #39,286 of 39,414
cheap trick?great band I have seen them several times

Mar 16, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #39,288 of 39,414
Mar 16, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #39,289 of 39,414
Any recommendations on TOTL headphones for classical? So many options…

Thanks!
Raal CA-1a is excellent, probably the best I’ve heard. Susvara is also very good for classical.

Mar 16, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #39,290 of 39,414
cheap trick?great band I have seen them several times
Yes...I have seen them a few times as well. They haven't missed a beat. I miss Bun E. Carlos but Rick Nielsen's son did a great job. Generally, the singers in these older R-n-R bands lose something vocally, but Zander still has it.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #39,291 of 39,414
Hey @yaps66 and @normie610 ,

This is such great info. See, I want to go from being the guy buying the expensive, but mainstream gear, to building a collection like yours.

I have an A&K SP3000 and some mid range IEMs (Kublai Khan, Vision EXT, Indigo…) but I have no idea how to move to the next phase of this hobby with stacks, custom cables, headphone brands that people not on this thread have never heard of.

The Stax electrostatic blew my mind when I was reading about it. It sounds like it would be amazing for classical.

So if I were to spend… like $8,000 to $10,000, could I get a pretty nice high end setup? I’ll PM you, Yap if you don’t mind giving me some guidance. I’m thinking of using the SP3000 as my “source” (assuming that’s not a stupid statement) and I’m going to set up a Roon on my new Synology NAS

thanks!!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #39,292 of 39,414
Sjeemig Nic, still strong !!

Apr 10, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #39,293 of 39,414
Hey @yaps66 and @normie610 ,

This is such great info. See, I want to go from being the guy buying the expensive, but mainstream gear, to building a collection like yours.

I have an A&K SP3000 and some mid range IEMs (Kublai Khan, Vision EXT, Indigo…) but I have no idea how to move to the next phase of this hobby with stacks, custom cables, headphone brands that people not on this thread have never heard of.

The Stax electrostatic blew my mind when I was reading about it. It sounds like it would be amazing for classical.

So if I were to spend… like $8,000 to $10,000, could I get a pretty nice high end setup? I’ll PM you, Yap if you don’t mind giving me some guidance. I’m thinking of using the SP3000 as my “source” (assuming that’s not a stupid statement) and I’m going to set up a Roon on my new Synology NAS

thanks!!
Drop me a PM

Edit: O wait. I see we have already communicated via PM! Haha! Silly me!

Apr 13, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #39,295 of 39,414
These are all words of wisdom. Since when did this thread become the place where the wise come to reminisce? :sweat_smile: It also comes down to use case. From a music-listening perspective, I now only use IEMs, so that's my main focus. I can see a case where I had a great headphone setup in one room, a speaker setup in another, and a pair or two of IEMs for when I'm not engaging with the other setups. Even without having the headphones and speakers, I'm still working on getting to that place where the gear matters less than enjoying the tunes. That, to me, is true endgame.

I have gotten to that place, and in that regards JH Sharona really surprised me big time with it's all BA setup but in the end for me tuning is still of the essence and when it all clicks then it's all about music. It's been five months like this... My whole collection hasn't had any airtime... RS8 and Sharona is kind of the endgame in that way (in terms of fully clicking with me like a soulmate). Might be missing the perfect matching cable to reach its full potential technically speaking but I haven't even thought about it yet.

I haven't logged in here in ages (granted, my mother dying in front of me mid january might have something to do with letting go of the material stuff...) and I have lost track of the new stuff coming up with no signs of FOMO.

I do miss the community though, such a great bunch of people here :)

Apr 13, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #39,296 of 39,414
I have gotten to that place, and in that regards JH Sharona really surprised me big time with it's all BA setup but in the end for me tuning is still of the essence and when it all clicks then it's all about music. It's been five months like this... My whole collection hasn't had any airtime... RS8 and Sharona is kind of the endgame in that way (in terms of fully clicking with me like a soulmate). Might be missing the perfect matching cable to reach its full potential technically speaking but I haven't even thought about it yet.

I haven't logged in here in ages (granted, my mother dying in front of me mid january might have something to do with letting go of the material stuff...) and I have lost track of the new stuff coming up with no signs of FOMO.

Condolences to you and yours David. You are missed here. Sending you all the very best!

Apr 13, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #39,297 of 39,414
Condolences to you and yours David. You are missed here. Sending you all the very best!
Thanks, it's been a rough few months before that (terminal cancer) but she was a force of nature and enjoyed every good moment up to the very last which she chose... I fully supported her and took quite a bit of time of work for this.

Music has been invaluable - always thought of it as soul healing - but during hard times it can't be overstated how much this counts.

Apr 14, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #39,299 of 39,414

So sorry to hear about your mother David. My condolences and the very best to you and your family!

Apr 14, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #39,300 of 39,414
Very sad news about your Mum David. Condolences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back