flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 20, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #29,386 of 39,414
For someone who generally gets annoyed by the upper mids in half the IEMs, I didn’t find the noir too bad honestly - if the Jolene tones them down a little further and emphasizes the lower mids + upper treble I think I’ve found my new daily
You'll be fine in that are, JH doesn't just tone the upper mids down angry noises.

Mar 20, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #29,387 of 39,414
Yeah, they’re still neutral on the Jolene’s as well. They’re more forwardly than they are on the Layla, and they’re about on par with the Lola’s. And, the more linear treble relative to the latter does help tease it out more, so you’re able to push it louder without getting glare in your face. But, yeah, ultimately, preference is preference. Hopefully, you’ll be able to give it a go nevertheless. :)
The demo is highly dependant on the pandemic and the existence of the universals. Having 3/5 people in the house at high risk category has been a huge restriction for the hobby sadly

Don't know if Headfoneshop will have the uni demo since they don't seem to be carrying JH stuff if at all currently.

The Lola is probably the closest to being my favourite JH model despite my preferences, so seeing that familiarity with the Jolene has put it on my bucket list, as JH DD bass is an interesting preposition.

Mar 20, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #29,388 of 39,414
Oh, I can see where the confusion is now. JH’s bass pod doesn’t work like a clock. It’s more like a speedometer. So, 0% is actually at about 8 o’ clock and 100% is at about 4 o’clock. Just like, on a speedometer, 0 MPH is at 8 o’clock and 200 or 220 MPH is at 4 o’clock.

The Jolene is about as bassy as the Noir at around 2 o’clock. It’s more sub-bass-y than it past that. Dynamically, they’re about the same. They just punch in different areas; the sub-bass, centre-mids and upper-treble for the Jolene, and the mid-bass, upper-mids and lower-treble for the Noir.

Perfect! That should work for me like a charm. I feel Jolene and I will have a lot of love together 😛😛😛🤣🐅🐾

Will have new JolenaTigers little ones lmao

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #29,389 of 39,414
14349BD5-CAA2-4015-BAB6-A196DAFA6E8C.jpeg
Setup:
DX300, High Gain, Filter 2 with PW 4.4. Lucifer Cable and CP155 tips.

Fortunate enough to give the Rhapsodio Supreme Mk2 a listen and pricing aside, these are an incredible piece. I don't have too much experience with 1-driver IEMs (e.g., graphene magnetostatic here), but the coherency is definitely a treat. The bass- similar to our earlier discussions versus other magnetostatic and planar magnetic drivers- is quick, punchy with better timbre than typical BAs. It doesn't quite have the radiating, visceral, slower decay of an excellent dynamic driver, but still very impressive and works for faster genres. Similar to Sagga, magnetostatic bass seems to be more mid-bass focused with punch/slam than subbass extension...something that I don't personally prefer for my preferences, but works well with the overall signature here.

Supreme probably has the best, balanced vocals I've heard to date. They're natural in the mix (perhaps slightly upwards on the height axis) with strong emotion. Lower treble is more on the laid-back side, with nice upper treble extension. Soundstage overall is strong, although nothing too grand in terms of width. There is strong imaging and solid air, but this IEM focuses more on the musicality in an extremely coherent, balanced fashion rather than true micro-detail and pinpoint imaging. Everything is smooth.

If I had to do an early comparison of Supreme versus Infinity, Infinity would be the prettier, fiesty sibling with airy vocals and bite; whereas, Supreme is the more mature, smooth-talking sibling who knows what people like and does what he does best without overstepping his or anyone's boundaries. He has mastered his craft, without the flash. In other words, if you are over the club-partying days and want to sit down and listen to music with a companion and nice glass of aged wine, Supreme will be the better company for it.

I will slowly start prepping the Infinity vs Supreme vs Erlkonig vs Traillii shootout, but so far I am a big fan of this one. Supreme finds the right balance of technical enough to not be boring, yet still retain musicality and engagement so that I don't get tempted to overanalyze the song. It's a tough balance to achieve and Supreme has me hooked after my first sip.

Price...yeah...not sure about that since I usually value price with technicalities, and although this is still top tier, its' technicalities are nothing revolutionary (unlike the-IEM-that-shall-not-be-named). But the coherency...man the coherency. Damn shame really this is so highly priced, but hopefully this seeps into more affordable models down the line as the technology is more mainstream :).

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #29,390 of 39,414
Nice review. Do you seriously get no interference when used with your phone? Were you using it on wifi only or did you get no interference when your phone was connected to your mobile network too? As much as I like the s1, mine picks up a ton of interference.

Also, a package from Florida... Geeee I woooonder what it could be... I'll be eagerly awaiting your impressions if it's what I am pretty sure it is.
It's gotta be the Jolene!!! I love your reviews, very excited to hear what you have to say about this new hybrid.

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #29,391 of 39,414
Ah ok gotcha. It’s just the stock Traillii cable is so damn microphonic...
The stock cable is the 1960s 4W, just with an original Pentaconn plug. The original 1960s would be just as microphonic. That said, I didn't really find it microphonic. Sure if you're walking around with it and its scraping you up and down, but who does that with a Traillii and a 1960s cable? Sit down, relax, listen. this is not a jogging rig!

Mar 20, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #29,392 of 39,414
Interesting to be talking about 1960 on page 1960 :)

I don't know the cable but imo a $2+k cable better not be microphonic!

Mar 20, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #29,394 of 39,414
Mar 20, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #29,395 of 39,414
I don’t find the 50 or 60 very microphonic, to offer a balancing viewpoint.

and they both sound heavenly.

Mar 20, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #29,397 of 39,414

Setup:
DX300, High Gain, Filter 2 with PW 4.4. Lucifer Cable and CP155 tips.

Fortunate enough to give the Rhapsodio Supreme Mk2 a listen and pricing aside, these are an incredible piece. I don't have too much experience with 1-driver IEMs (e.g., graphene magnetostatic here), but the coherency is definitely a treat. The bass- similar to our earlier discussions versus other magnetostatic and planar magnetic drivers- is quick, punchy with better timbre than typical BAs. It doesn't quite have the radiating, visceral, slower decay of an excellent dynamic driver, but still very impressive and works for faster genres. Similar to Sagga, magnetostatic bass seems to be more mid-bass focused with punch/slam than subbass extension...something that I don't personally prefer for my preferences, but works well with the overall signature here.

Supreme probably has the best, balanced vocals I've heard to date. They're natural in the mix (perhaps slightly upwards on the height axis) with strong emotion. Lower treble is more on the laid-back side, with nice upper treble extension. Soundstage overall is strong, although nothing too grand in terms of width. There is strong imaging and solid air, but this IEM focuses more on the musicality in an extremely coherent, balanced fashion rather than true micro-detail and pinpoint imaging. Everything is smooth.

If I had to do an early comparison of Supreme versus Infinity, Infinity would be the prettier, fiesty sibling with airy vocals and bite; whereas, Supreme is the more mature, smooth-talking sibling who knows what people like and does what he does best without overstepping his or anyone's boundaries. He has mastered his craft, without the flash. In other words, if you are over the club-partying days and want to sit down and listen to music with a companion and nice glass of aged wine, Supreme will be the better company for it.

I will slowly start prepping the Infinity vs Supreme vs Erlkonig vs Traillii shootout, but so far I am a big fan of this one. Supreme finds the right balance of technical enough to not be boring, yet still retain musicality and engagement so that I don't get tempted to overanalyze the song. It's a tough balance to achieve and Supreme has me hooked after my first sip.

Price...yeah...not sure about that since I usually value price with technicalities, and although this is still top tier, its' technicalities are nothing revolutionary (unlike the-IEM-that-shall-not-be-named). But the coherency...man the coherency. Damn shame really this is so highly priced, but hopefully this seeps into more affordable models down the line as the technology is more mainstream :).
Always love the way you describe dd bass, @tawmizzzz.

“Best vocals” sounds mighty interesting...looking forward to hearing this one for myself...

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #29,400 of 39,414
Oh mine so Joelene was in beast mode ! 😎
I thought it was dialed in 2 am o'clock near 0. Thanks to clarify then that means Jolene at its max is pretty balanced and not as bassy? Or dynamically aggressive like noirs?
Is this what your are thinking now?
08F99DCA-5E45-4ECF-880F-EA0A7985E4BA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back