flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 19, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #29,341 of 39,414
I’m wondering if a cablemaker can just simply re-terminate 2.5mm to 4.4mm. Would it affect the way the bass module works?
That should be possible. My only concern is, yes, the bass pod accidentally getting re-wired to the mid or treble drivers like the Effect Audio debacles I keep inadvertently reminding people about. :D But, I think that has more to do with the wiring going from the pod to the IEM connectors, so reterminating the source end should theoretically be standard procedure.

Mar 19, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #29,342 of 39,414
I just edited the post you're quoting with an answer for that question. I forgot to answer @gLer's question when I made my reply. :D But, I'll copy-and-paste it here for clarity's sake:

"You could opt for a 2.5mm cable when you're ordering the Jolene's. The 4.4mm standard isn't available at the moment, but you could always get DD-HiFi's adapters for that. Also, since the Jolene (in my opinion, at least) is best with its bass near or at 100%, you could theoretically get a custom cable made from, say, Eletech or Cross Lambda Audio (who carry JH's 7-pin connectors) without the bass pod too. But, I'd personally just adapt JH's 2.5mm cable for flexibility's sake. It's also available separately on JH's online store."
Already sent Eric a message :D

Mar 19, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #29,343 of 39,414
Hah!

that’s amazing.

the $2.2k 1950 cable is incredible and the best I’ve heard, but I’d never pay anywhere near that...my clone from @doctorjuggles is perfect.
I'm very curious about this and the 1960s clone. Can you post a pic of your 1950s clone please? Have you used it with the LX?

Mar 19, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #29,346 of 39,414
But, what it hopefully will be is a trendsetter, and, maybe, we'll all be able to bask in the beauty that is flagship IEMs duking it out at under $2000 once again. :blush:
wouldn't that be nice?

...why is there an evil laugh coming from the traillii case?

great impressions, deez. you really lit the jolene on fire!

Mar 19, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #29,347 of 39,414
Mar 19, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #29,349 of 39,414
Haha! Cheers, man. :D

Yeah, the Jolene certainly is in the Noir's realm as far as technical performance goes, and I personally feel its stage is larger as well. Though I enjoy the A18s's bass a lot, there's really no mistaking a DD-driven bottom-end. You'll definitely get a more visceral, life-like kick out of the Jolene, and it doesn't radiate as much warmth as the A18s does down low either. I can't comment on how the U18s compares, but I can't imagine it's too different from the A18s.

I definitely find the Jolene's DD-driven mids superior to how they were implemented in the Lola. A lot of it has to do with the altered treble, which gives the midrange a much bigger, much cleaner and much airier space to work with. And, as you mentioned there with the Layla AION, the Jolene's treble facilitates a ton more dynamic range as well. It's not as dark, or smooth, or shelved as the Layla's, so you'll definitely have the punch and sparkle you're looking for.

As far as pressure goes, I don't know if I can comment, really. I personally have always listened at a lower volume, so I don't really get fatigued even hours into my listening sessions. I felt ADEL and apex were huge helps when I used to listen louder, so those punchy dynamics would remain alive even hours in. But, I personally don't feel that difference is as prevalent now. Obviously, that could be different for you or any other listener who loves the pressure relief that apex brings. Hopefully, you'll be able to hear impressions of the Jolene from those folks soon.

Thanks man you really sparked a huge interest in me for Jolene amd I have a feeling that it is for a reason she got my full attention even before impressions 😛 I think the quad DD is something really unique and of high fun value. I am sure Jolena ia the one I am looking for as my next sound signature

Of course there is 1 more important announcement to be awaited from 64 toward a new potential flagship. For now I love what I am reading about Jolene! Sounds fantastic thanks for your feedback.

🐅🐾

Mar 19, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #29,350 of 39,414
Thanks so much, man. Indeed, like I said on the Jolene thread, JH really did do something stellar with this IEM and the pricing of it. I must reiterate that it's by no means a "budget" IEM, obviously. But, what it hopefully will be is a trendsetter, and, maybe, we'll all be able to bask in the beauty that is flagship IEMs duking it out at under $2000 once again. :blush:

You make a really great point there with your question. My impressions were all written with a single-ended cable and out of the LPGT's single-ended output. I did take this into account when I was taking my notes, which is why I wasn't exactly shy with praising the Jolene's technical and spatial abilities.. And, I also made sure to use single-ended cables (or use the best-possible adapters) on all the IEMs I compared it with, so it'd be fair game. But, I did forget to mention it explicitly on the post itself, so thanks for reminding me. :wink:

EDIT: I forgot to answer your question. :sweat_smile: You could opt for a 2.5mm cable when you're ordering the Jolene's. The 4.4mm standard isn't available at the moment, but you could always get DD-HiFi's adapters for that. Also, since the Jolene (in my opinion, at least) is best with its bass near or at 100%, you could theoretically get a custom cable made from, say, Eletech or Cross Lambda Audio (who carry JH's 7-pin connectors) without the bass pod too. But, I'd personally just adapt JH's 2.5mm cable for flexibility's sake. It's also available separately on JH's online store.
With now of what you say JH highs is much better on Jolene, I am excited as I always found JH sound bit too dark

Mar 19, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #29,351 of 39,414
wouldn't that be nice?

...why is there an evil laugh coming from the traillii case?

great impressions, deez. you really lit the jolene on fire!
Thanks! I definitely hope I didn't. I've only just had it for a day. :D

With now of what you say JH highs is much better on Jolene, I am excited as I always found JH sound bit too dark
Yeah, the highs on this one are very different (and to many, I'm sure, much better), indeed. Not only is the treble much airier and cleaner as a whole, but they've smoothed out that resonant 8kHz peak as well.

Mar 20, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #29,352 of 39,414
Mar 20, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #29,353 of 39,414
But @Deezel177 you haven't told us the important part yet: how do we buy JUST the faceplates from JH.

I love the look of Jolene, but I'm not dropping $1800 for it to end up as a show piece amongst my shelves of gunpla.

I almost hate how good JH faceplates look, since it was the Lightning Strike that made me want the Lola over everything else. Having made my peace that no matter what kind of magic JH uses in the treble to hide the upper mid recession, I will not like their stuff outside of a complete shift in tuning in regards to that is a bit... depressing

Mar 20, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #29,354 of 39,414
But @Deezel177 you haven't told us the important part yet: how do we buy JUST the faceplates from JH.

I love the look of Jolene, but I'm not dropping $1800 for it to end up as a show piece amongst my shelves of gunpla.

I almost hate how good JH faceplates look, since it was the Lightning Strike that made me want the Lola over everything else. Having made my peace that no matter what kind of magic JH uses in the treble to hide the upper mid recession, I will not like their stuff outside of a complete shift in tuning in regards to that is a bit... depressing
Yeah, they’re still neutral on the Jolene’s as well. They’re more forwardly than they are on the Layla, and they’re about on par with the Lola’s. And, the more linear treble relative to the latter does help tease it out more, so you’re able to push it louder without getting glare in your face. But, yeah, ultimately, preference is preference. Hopefully, you’ll be able to give it a go nevertheless. :)

Mar 20, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #29,355 of 39,414
i never owned the lx, just the lxse, and only used the stock cable until i sold it.

one of my good hf friends used the fiddy exclusively on the lx and said it was phenomenal. i also loved it on my a18t, and of course, adore it on the erlky.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fli...dio-discussion.826876/page-1790#post-16125275
Ah yes, now I remember reading that post! That "black hole" was my biggest takeaway when I tried the 1960s with the Fourte. It was like being in a soundproof chamber and hearing every single sound the IEMs were producing coming out of ink black nothing. I couldn't fathom how a cable was doing this. It also seemed to smooth out some of the 'fuzz' on the notes, that you'd never know was there until you compared cables. If the 1950s can have the same effect with LX, grabbing a 1950s and 1960s clone for the LX and Fourte respectively would be a much bigger upgrade sound-wise than any new IEM, and make my current favourite combo even more untouchable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back