flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Oct 21, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #24,436 of 39,419
Wasn’t trying to say you were, deez. ; )

oftentimes around here, we say the same things but in our own words.

was just trying to make sure I understood you, and to give others a differently-worded reference point for what you were saying.

Oct 21, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #24,437 of 39,419
@Deezel177 , @Animagus , Thank you guys for the explanation of the ear impressions. That's relieving to hear.

@Animagus , I will probably test a bit more but I am leaning very strongly towards the FIBAE7.
I realised that my office is in 20 minutes walking distance of the e-earphone store so I will probably go there quite regularly from now on.

I went yesterday and searched for your suggestions.
During all this testing it was only with the FIBAE7 that I forgot that there were still other models that I wanted to listen to.

Moondrop S8:
- Bass was a bit on the low side for my preference but instrumentals were quite nice
- super comfortable

Shozy Pola39:
- Overall very nice and I started to consider getting maybe this one
- highs were quite present and strong but it fitted the overall package in my eyes (ears?)

Lime Ears Aether R:
- I couldn't get any fit with them for the life of me so I don't know what they really sound like

They didn't have the other models.

I also spotted the Fitear Titan and this thing is HUGE!
I couldn't get any fit with it, at all and it felt like it will fall out of my ears any second.

Oct 21, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #24,438 of 39,419
I feel like I've peppered stuff like this into quite a few of my write-ups, but it is just one point of many; a point that most would probably overlook as well.

Well, it's not neutral in the traditional sense where it's uncoloured or straight-edged. What I meant was that if you took the sum of its parts, you'd probably arrive at a mean value of neutral. Borrowing what Nic said about the A18t ages ago, if you add together an IEM's warm, dark bass, neutral midrange and bright, sparkly treble, what you'd get would be something that's fairly down-the-middle. That's what I was trying to say when I said the Thummim has parts tugging at opposite directions, only to arrive somewhere in between. Again, it's not neutral from a studio or professional perspective. The sum of its parts just happens to not lean in any particular direction.
I would still not say that either. It is a “warm” IEM with pronounced bass. I am not saying it is bad or anything like that, but definitely a “tuned” flavor. But I do get where you are coming from. Anyway, get back to what you were discussing. Tks.

Oct 21, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #24,439 of 39,419
Finally the Infinity MK2 has arrived!

These are very early impressions but to me so far, these are an Elysium on steroids. Somehow with the copper coil BAs, Sammy has managed to make these the most full, musical mids I have heard to date, even more so than Elysium’s HALC DD.

To my ears, Infinity MK2 is a mid-centric IEM with huge staging, I’d say among the levels of Thummim (or more, hard to recall from just memory). The mids/vocals come more forward which works perfectly because of that staging size across all the axis. The bass does come across as well implemented BAs-very tight, punchy and detailed (similar to Ely) which well complements the mid tuning. More mid-bass focus than sub-bass for now. The treble is smooth and well-extended with slightly less background sparkle than Thummim. Reminds me a bit of the 18s’ treble but with more realism and musicality. In short, for me, these are more musical than Odin, Elysium and 18s, while maintaining impeccable detail and technicalities.

Normally BAs don’t benefit from burn-in I’ve been told, but these should get some additional benefit in layering and bass texture due to the copper coils- so I’ll share how they progress over time. But in terms of musicality-these are amazing with an electrifying sort of realism that really gets addicting...hard to describe. Had to debate whether to bring them with me to the grocery store because I did not want to take them off.

Unfortunately they do waterfall hiss quite a bit with my R8 (more so than the Odin) so will look to switch out DAPs most likely. Anyone got a MAX for sale? :p

Attachments

• D60B9F26-8849-4D16-8442-2F512E4BC1CF.jpeg
    D60B9F26-8849-4D16-8442-2F512E4BC1CF.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • D3350089-AE8C-44CC-95DD-77AF8A64D217.jpeg
    D3350089-AE8C-44CC-95DD-77AF8A64D217.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 43FC7CA0-898E-4E63-B426-0F98BB176C88.jpeg
    43FC7CA0-898E-4E63-B426-0F98BB176C88.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Oct 22, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #24,440 of 39,419
@Deezel177 , @Animagus , Thank you guys for the explanation of the ear impressions. That's relieving to hear.

@Animagus , I will probably test a bit more but I am leaning very strongly towards the FIBAE7.
I realised that my office is in 20 minutes walking distance of the e-earphone store so I will probably go there quite regularly from now on.

During all this testing it was only with the FIBAE7 that I forgot that there were still other models that I wanted to listen to.

Moondrop S8:
- Bass was a bit on the low side for my preference but instrumentals were quite nice
- super comfortable

Shozy Pola39:
- highs were quite present and strong but it fitted the overall package in my eyes (ears?)

Lime Ears Aether R:
- I couldn't get any fit with them for the life of me so I don't know what they really sound like

I couldn't get any fit with it, at all and it felt like it will fall out of my ears any second.

Great! I use Aether R with Final E and Foam ear tips and they fit me well. But yeah, you gotta tip roll with Aether R a bit. If you're digging the Fibae7 so much, get one! :)

Oct 22, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #24,441 of 39,419

Moondrop S8:
- super comfortable

Shozy Pola39:

Lime Ears Aether R:

Get the FIBAE 7. I am sure @piotrus-g and his team can come up with a magical design.

Oct 22, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #24,442 of 39,419
Finally the Infinity MK2 has arrived!

These are very early impressions but to me so far, these are an Elysium on steroids. Somehow with the copper coil BAs, Sammy has managed to make these the most full, musical mids I have heard to date, even more so than Elysium’s HALC DD.

To my ears, Infinity MK2 is a mid-centric IEM with huge staging, I’d say among the levels of Thummim (or more, hard to recall from just memory). The mids/vocals come more forward which works perfectly because of that staging size across all the axis. The bass does come across as well implemented BAs-very tight, punchy and detailed (similar to Ely) which well complements the mid tuning. More mid-bass focus than sub-bass for now. The treble is smooth and well-extended with slightly less background sparkle than Thummim. Reminds me a bit of the 18s’ treble but with more realism and musicality. In short, for me, these are more musical than Odin, Elysium and 18s, while maintaining impeccable detail and technicalities.

Normally BAs don’t benefit from burn-in I’ve been told, but these should get some additional benefit in layering and bass texture due to the copper coils- so I’ll share how they progress over time. But in terms of musicality-these are amazing with an electrifying sort of realism that really gets addicting...hard to describe. Had to debate whether to bring them with me to the grocery store because I did not want to take them off.

Unfortunately they do waterfall hiss quite a bit with my R8 (more so than the Odin) so will look to switch out DAPs most likely. Anyone got a MAX for sale? :p

Beautiful. You are prob the 2nd person in US to own a pair. Spot on with how electrifying and musical this IEM is. The realism is addictive and intoxicating.

The Infinity 2 pairs really well with SE200 and scales to an even higher level with my modded MAX.

I should get Rhapsodio’s other TOTL Supreme 2 and the 4 wire version of the Infinity stock cable next Monday. Thanks to @Modwright01 for helping to expedite the orders. I gave @Solarsammy free play with the colors/pattern selection of the Supreme 2 IEM body and faceplates and I will not know how they look like till I get them. Gonna be a nice surprise.

Pics of the Infinity 2:

AAF4B659-5C07-4270-8C7A-691516D0D869.jpeg
727B4507-9D2A-4258-986F-7CA64EC914C0.jpeg

Oct 22, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #24,443 of 39,419
Wasn’t trying to say you were, deez. ; )

oftentimes around here, we say the same things but in our own words.

was just trying to make sure I understood you, and to give others a differently-worded reference point for what you were saying.

Yeah, I hear you. Sorry about that, I was just making sure in general that what I said wasn't going to be misconstrued. Nowadays, you say one wrong thing and, next thing you know, you're being crucified on someone's audio group chat. :D

Moondrop S8:
- super comfortable

Shozy Pola39:

Lime Ears Aether R:

Speaking of FitEar, the MH334DW-SR may be something that's up your alley as well. Though, I believe it uses the same shell shape as the Titan, so I don't know whether or not you'd be able to get a good fit. Perhaps ask for different tips to try it with. ACS Custom's Emotion could also be a good shout if they have them there.

I would still not say that either. It is a “warm” IEM with pronounced bass. I am not saying it is bad or anything like that, but definitely a “tuned” flavor. But I do get where you are coming from. Anyway, get back to what you were discussing. Tks.

Cool, man, 'appreciate your feedback. I may be remembering it slightly wrong too. It's been quite a while since I last heard it, so I was just going off my notes + Jomo's Trinity (which sounds slightly similar with a few tweaks) when I made my post.

Oct 22, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #24,448 of 39,419

Users who are viewing this thread

Back