flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Oct 19, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #24,376 of 39,419
Thank you all for your responses!

@Animagus, thanks for the explanation about the Andromeda.
So I would need to go on a search for the best tips again.
When going into such a price range, what would be the reason to go for an universal IEM instead of a custom IEM?
Re-sell possibility? Or if this IEM has such a unique signature?
I will try to get my hands on those IEM you mentioned!

@ranfan , thank you for your offer! I may come back to that in the future :)

I wasn't aware that there are so many companies in the higher class market!

Oct 20, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #24,377 of 39,419
Thank you all for your responses!

@Animagus, thanks for the explanation about the Andromeda.
So I would need to go on a search for the best tips again.
When going into such a price range, what would be the reason to go for an universal IEM instead of a custom IEM?
Re-sell possibility? Or if this IEM has such a unique signature?
I will try to get my hands on those IEM you mentioned!

@ranfan , thank you for your offer! I may come back to that in the future :)

I wasn't aware that there are so many companies in the higher class market!

Hey! Anytime, happy to help. :)

Well IMO, one would go for an IEM instead of a CIEM in the following cases,
  1. Option to tune the signature with tip rolling which you can't do in CIEMs.
  2. Quicker, easier and more profitable re-sale if you shuffle through IEMs quickly as you don't have to account for re-shelling costs for the next buyer.
  3. Easier for the next buyer because in case of a CIEM, he would have to wait for it to get re-shelled by the parent company or a 3rd part re-shelling company as per their lead times.
  4. Cost, since a lot of times the manufacturer charges a bit more for a CIEM. Also, you have to pay extra to get your ear impressions taken by an Audiologist which depending on the country you are in, could be cheap or expensive.
CIEM > IEM
  1. Comfortable custom fit and insertion depth which generally makes wearing it for long hours much easier. CIEMs (if made properly) tend to disappear in your ears once you get used to them.
  2. Excellent isolation, be it for audiophiles or musicians using it for stage monitoring.
  3. A lot (if not most) of the time and most in case of brands that are CIEM makers primarily, CIEM's sound signature sounds better with a more holographic soundstage, owing to snugger fit and proper depth of insertion (as achieved by the company after proper R&D and testing).
  4. Safer and better for your hearing because a lot of times, people tend to listen to CIEMs at lower volumes because of the excellent isolation, as they don't feel the need to turn up the volume levels as much in louder environments as they would have to with not so well isolating IEMs. Even when in a quiet room, it's so quiet that you'd be happy to listen to your music at lower volumes. This is not a hard and fast rule for every user but it does work.
  5. Definitely the way to go if you have abnormal ears and most universal shells don't fit you well or when you want to own an IEM whose universal shell is not the most comfortable.
  6. MOST IMPORTANTLY - If you don't like your friends putting your earphones in their ears, get a CIEM! BAM! No more friendly sharing of ear wax. Lol! :joy:

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #24,378 of 39,419

2. Quicker, easier and more profitable re-sale if you shuffle through IEMs quickly as you don't have to account for re-shelling costs for the next buyer.
  3. Easier for the next buyer since in case of a CIEM, he would have to wait for it to get re-shelled, be it by the parent company or a 3rd part re-shelling company which depends on their lead times.
  4. Cost, since a lot of times the manufacturer charges a bit more for a CIEM. Also, you have to pay extra to get your ear impressions taken by an Audiologist which depending on the country you are in, could be cheap or expensive.
CIEM > IEM
  1. Comfortable custom fit and insertion depth which generally makes wearing it for long hours much easier as CIEMs (if made properly) tend to disappear in your ears once you get used to them.
  2. Excellent isolation, be it for audiophiles or musicians using it for stage monitoring.
  3. A lot (if not most) of the time and most in case of brands that are CIEM makers primarily, the sound signature sounds better with a better soundstage space in case of CIEMs, owing to snugger fit and proper depth of insertion (as achieved by the company after proper R&D and testing).
  4. Safer and better for your hearing because a lot of times, people tend to listen to CIEMs at lower volumes because of the excellent isolation, as they don't feel the need to turn up the volume levels as much in louder environments as they would have to with not so well isolating IEMs. Even when in a quiet room, it's so quiet that you'd be happy to listen to your music at lower volumes. This is not a hard and fast rule for every user but it does work.
  5. Definitely the way to go if you have abnormal ears and most universal shells don't fit you well or when you want to own an IEM whose universal shell is not the most comfortable.
  6. MOST IMPORTANTLY - If you don't like your friends putting your earphones in their ears, get a CIEM! BAM! No more friendly sharing of ear wax. Lol! :joy:
Nice write up, but you forgot about the possibility of custom tips (I know not everyone is a fan). These are custom tips that fit on most universals if you like certain models but have fit issues with them. These also involve getting a set of impressions done and sending them off.

Oct 20, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #24,379 of 39,419
Finally got the rare Fitear Titan to add to my collection. For those who do not know Fitear, it is a Japanese brand that sells their products primarily in Asia. They were first known on a global scale for their TG334 in the past. The Titan is without a doubt one of the best if not the best hybrid IEMs but it is difficult to acquire even if you live in Asia. Glad to own it finally. :)

IMG_20201019_224117_700.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #24,380 of 39,419
That's a big Titan :astonished: How's the sound signature?
Finally got the rare Fitear Titan to add to my collection. For those who do not know Fitear, it is a Japanese brand that sells their products primarily in Asia. They were first known on a global scale for their TG334 in the past. The Titan is without a doubt one of the best if not the best hybrid IEMs but it is difficult to acquire even if you live in Asia. Glad to own it finally. :)

Oct 20, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #24,382 of 39,419

IMG_20201019_224117_700.jpg
Always wanted the custom version of that because... 1) They look awesome. 2) The CIEMs have the shortest stem I have ever seen. and 3) They look bloomin' awesome! :sunglasses:
But I have long since written that off as a pipe dream.

Oct 20, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #24,383 of 39,419
Always wanted the custom version of that because... 1) They look awesome. 2) The CIEMs have the shortest stem I have ever seen. and 3) They look bloomin' awesome! :sunglasses:
But I have long since written that off as a pipe dream.
The Fitear Titan is an extremely special IEM.

Oct 20, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #24,385 of 39,419
@mashuto ’Looks like Campfire’s just announced one of their re-releases on IG:

2F980C8E-B0AD-43FE-9CA3-A486CC9EBF40.png
... I already placed an order from bloom audio, hah.

Stupid hobby.

Now the crazy thing... I think I'm going to sell the my z1r to fund it (not that I need to). That's not a judgement on quality as the z1r is still one of the best I have heard, they just don't fit me well and aren't being used.

Oct 20, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #24,386 of 39,419
... I already placed an order from bloom audio, hah.

Stupid hobby.

Now the crazy thing... I think I'm going to sell the my z1r to fund it (not that I need to). That's not a judgement on quality as the z1r is still one of the best I have heard, they just don't fit me well and aren't being used.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions! I may be jumping on board at some point.

Oct 20, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #24,388 of 39,419

3. Easier for the next buyer because in case of a CIEM, he would have to wait for it to get re-shelled by the parent company or a 3rd part re-shelling company as per their lead times.
Great list! I‘d also add the time and trouble for getting a CIEM. Need ear impressions made, then need to send it to manufacturer (unless you were able to get a digital scan), then need to wait for the custom order. Once you get them, they may not fit right, then you have to send it back to the manufacturer for a re-fit. Have to describe the fit issue in detail, and hope they get it right, then wait some more. Now if all goes well, you have a great fitting CIEM, if not, you need to send it back again.

Oct 20, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #24,389 of 39,419
Great list! I‘d also add the time and trouble for getting a CIEM. Need ear impressions made, then need to send it to manufacturer (unless you were able to get a digital scan), then need to wait for the custom order. Once you get them, they may not fit right, then you have to send it back to the manufacturer for a re-fit. Have to describe the fit issue in detail, and hope they get it right, then wait some more. Now if all goes well, you have a great fitting CIEM, if not, you need to send it back again.

This brought back memories. Lesson i learned is have a good backup pair of iems that you like if you go this route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back