flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 5, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #22,246 of 39,414
May 5, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #22,249 of 39,414
@Damz87...

you did just buy the erlky, right?

let's see what you have to say about ba bass after listening to what i'm listening to right now... :smiling_imp:

May 5, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #22,250 of 39,414
@Damz87...

you did just buy the erlky, right?

let's see what you have to say about ba bass after listening to what i'm listening to right now... :smiling_imp:

Lol, yeah I was only kidding around. Haven’t heard the Noir so I can’t really comment. It’s just that I know that @Vitaly2017 likes his DD bass :)

I do like BA bass when it’s done well. IER-M9 & Anole VX bass sounds great to me. Hopefully the Erlkonig bass will beat them

May 5, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #22,251 of 39,414
brace yourself...

May 5, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #22,252 of 39,414

Pffff whatttt A wopoping 6 000 cashew! Ahuu hauum huamm asssheeeew LoL

No way! This is like 2 x 1z!

Lol, yeah I was only kidding around. Haven’t heard the Noir so I can’t really comment. It’s just that I know that @Vitaly2017 likes his DD bass :)

I do like BA bass when it’s done well. IER-M9 & Anole VX bass sounds great to me. Hopefully the Erlkonig bass will beat them

Ok guys 2 problems here maybe even 3! But they are all overshadow by that amazing pw1960 cable of course....

1 this is ba only so no good! Nothing can replicate a DD )

2 no pneumatic air pressure for me after 2 hours of listen it get fatiguing.

3 there is no tia drivers ! Those are the best ba drivers on market sorry )

This new toy seems to be trying to recreate the U18 thing but with est drivers. By the way tia hiagh ba driver is as good and as detailed as the est its just the treble resonance is presented differently. I prefer the Tia high sorry )

I did the est comparison with fir audio m5! Those are leading est performers!

Again 6 000 darning yea can understand just the cable is 2200 haha
My pw1960 4wires is 1.5m long so its even more expensive! 2550 $

May 5, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #22,253 of 39,414
I think the key question is not so much if these drivers are better, but rather if the drivers when implemented optimally have certain advantages. Implementation is key because anyone can buy EST drivers and sell IEMs with those at a premium because... marketing. However (just as an example), knowing Vision Ears a little bit, I would expect that the Elysium have each of their driver types implemented optimally. The question is then, could the same result have been achieved without the EST drivers? I have no idea, but that is a far more interesting question than whether or not EST drivers are "better".
That is exactly my point. Five posts in response to my question and none stated that electrostatic sounds better just because because it is electrostatic but they sound better because of something else.

May 6, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #22,254 of 39,414
That is exactly my point. Five posts in response to my question and none stated that electrostatic sounds better just because because it is electrostatic but they sound better because of something else.

This new toy seems to be trying to recreate the U18 thing but with est drivers. By the way tia hiagh ba driver is as good and as detailed as the est its just the treble resonance is presented differently. I prefer the Tia high sorry )

I did the est comparison with fir audio m5! Those are leading est performers!

May 6, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #22,255 of 39,414

And "something else" could also be the source. These common Sonion EST drivers already come bundled with a tiny transformer, so I assume that takes care of the voltage requirement. But there is also current you can pump from your source. Again, I don't know details, only go by the results of my experiments while testing.

Recently I got my hands on Romi Audio BX2 balanced portable amp. That thing is not intended for iem use. We are talking about 5000 mW into 25ohm power rating, Class A discrete circuit. So, with iems, especially sensitive ones, I need to keep volume down to min. BUT, I wanted to hear how it pairs up with EST driver iems. Tried with M5, and it was not bad. Tried it with Wraith and... dropped my jaw on the ground.

Per my own personal preference, I can't bring up treble in Wraith naturally with any of my sources, thus a reason I talked about EQ in my review. But driving it with a powerful Class A amp like BX2, which btw has zero coloring and super clean and transparent, made Wraith quad EST treble come alive, like I was listening to a different iem. Go figure :)

May 6, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #22,256 of 39,414
Guys, the Lotoo PAW S1 has landed.
2383418D-CB04-4068-AD8E-EF4C54AB9099.jpeg
CD2A0A05-B460-40CE-9FFC-E63055AB285A.jpeg

I believe this is a game-changing dongle. At least that 4.4 mm output does for me 😉

On another note, I just received my reshelled 64 Audio A12 ADEL done by FiR Audio. This was a U12 to A12 transformation and I’m so glad FiR Audio injected new life into my 4.5 years old IEM! I requested a “Rev B” tuning with tweaked crossover that resulted in better treble performance. No, I was not aware of this tuning beforehand. I simply asked about possible ways to improve my A12’s treble performance without adding a tia high driver and turning it into an A12t. A12t is probably a better overall IEM but I like my U12’s warmth and I kind of want to keep that sound signature. On the other hand, I worry about the A12 sounding darker than the U12 I’m used to so I asked about the treble and accidentally discovered this hidden A12 tuning 😃
AC49C9A2-0DBB-4C0B-BDFC-5D3121E1D862.jpeg

I love the logos on the matte black shell, wonderful work by FiR Audio!

May 6, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #22,257 of 39,414

I believe this is a game-changing dongle. At least that 4.4 mm output does for me 😉

On another note, I just received my reshelled 64 Audio A12 ADEL done by FiR Audio. This was a U12 to A12 transformation and I’m so glad FiR Audio injected new life into my 4.5 years old IEM! I requested a “Rev B” tuning with tweaked crossover that resulted in better treble performance. No, I was not aware of this tuning beforehand. I simply asked about possible ways to improve my A12’s treble performance without adding a tia high driver and turning it into an A12t. A12t is probably a better overall IEM but I like my U12’s warmth and I kind of want to keep that sound signature. On the other hand, I worry about the A12 sounding darker than the U12 I’m used to so I asked about the treble and accidentally discovered this hidden A12 tuning 😃

Was that "RevB" tuning something that 64 Audio developed? Or a custom tuning from FIR Audio?
Just curious! Lovely matte black shells, really nice job!

And I'll be very interested to hear your impressions of the Lotoo S1 when you have time :)

May 6, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #22,258 of 39,414

That's awesome! I just got a shipping notification for the S1, but it will be another week or so before it arrives. I have actually become increasingly curious about it and I hope it will work with my ancient MacBook Pro because after replacing my wife's MacBook Pro and seeing the new prices, I would like to avoid buying a new one for the time being.

Love what FiR did for your U12. I still deeply regret that I never had the opportunity to try the U12. I think that based on the U12t, the U12 would have suited me incredibly well. I still sometimes pause when I see U12 up for sale, but remind myself that I have the Trio lying around and most recently the FiR M4, both of which I really really enjoy. Ah, this hobby and eternal curiosity. :wink: But great to see the job FiR did for you!

May 6, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #22,259 of 39,414
Was that "RevB" tuning something that 64 Audio developed? Or a custom tuning from FIR Audio?
Just curious! Lovely matte black shells, really nice job!

I assume it’s a tuning developed by 64 Audio since I was told the tuning was never officially released. My guess is the A12t’s arrival has a lot to do with that 🤔.

And I'll be very interested to hear your impressions of the Lotoo S1 when you have time :)

I listened to the S1 for about 2 hours today. I really think it’s a dongle that can beat some DAPs out there in terms of soundstage and detail retrieval, definitely very impressed. Initial thoughts: baby PAW 6000?

May 6, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #22,260 of 39,414
And "something else" could also be the source. These common Sonion EST drivers already come bundled with a tiny transformer, so I assume that takes care of the voltage requirement. But there is also current you can pump from your source. Again, I don't know details, only go by the results of my experiments while testing.

Recently I got my hands on Romi Audio BX2 balanced portable amp. That thing is not intended for iem use. We are talking about 5000 mW into 25ohm power rating, Class A discrete circuit. So, with iems, especially sensitive ones, I need to keep volume down to min. BUT, I wanted to hear how it pairs up with EST driver iems. Tried with M5, and it was not bad. Tried it with Wraith and... dropped my jaw on the ground.

Per my own personal preference, I can't bring up treble in Wraith naturally with any of my sources, thus a reason I talked about EQ in my review. But driving it with a powerful Class A amp like BX2, which btw has zero coloring and super clean and transparent, made Wraith quad EST treble come alive, like I was listening to a different iem. Go figure :)

You are making me regret selling my Wraith man! Sounded lousy on my Kann Cube and my N6ii, but sounded great on my LG phone (which I will never understand). I couldn't believe how much of a difference there was. Your experience confirms how source-dependent they are. Maybe I never gave it a proper chance, but at the end of the day if I need to carry a desktop amp around with me then it defeats the purpose.

Although since I'm quarantined...maybe I will revisit... :)

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back