flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 25, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #19,081 of 39,414
Sad to hear of @mvvRAZ's luck with the Athena. I have the newer gunmetal 2-pin connectors and the Pentaconn plug. I have a feeling the 2-pin connectors are identical to Eidolic (at least they look and feel like it) and the Pentaconn plug speaks for itself. Maybe their "standard" termination offerings are not up to the likes of the $888 Leonidas 2, but I would suggest contacting them and asking about the plug options you can choose for a few bucks more. For under $500, I'm extremely pleased with this cable (build quality and sound quality) and Satin as a company. Just wanted to give you an additional opinion.

-Collin-
I wasn't given the option to choose better connectors and my DHC cable has the Eidolic connectors and they're in a completely different league imo

The thing is, at 4-500ish $ that's barely a budget cable any more, for the same money you can get a DHC 4w which will have spot on perfect hardware

Nov 25, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #19,082 of 39,414
what companies have white pearl as an option in their customization? currently I got ultimate ears, 64 audio, kumitate labs, what else? been thinking a lot about pearl faceplates lately hope custom art can do :speak_no_evil:
Yeah we have both mother of pearl (white) and two types of abalone available

Nov 25, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #19,084 of 39,414
thank goodness! I must have missed it in the designer! if I wasn't broke, I would rush to get it. maybe I should stop getting cables

Maybe the rain should stop falling down

Nov 25, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #19,085 of 39,414
Nov 25, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #19,086 of 39,414
Nov 25, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #19,087 of 39,414
I am just comparing to what I have and heard, of course it could be not the real end game that is out there, but I liked the KSE1500 more than Elysium for sure as I had with me the KSE1500 in Hong Kong to compare to other iems. In the end its all opinions, what is end game for me might not be end game for others. And I like you can not stand the hassle to carry around KSE1500 but I took it with me to see if I can get better sound than KSE1500, and even I could not top the KSE1500 I still bought from Hong Kong some great iems ( tia trio, sony, khan, final make1 and a lousy QDC fusion )

Finally I learned in this hobby you must own the iem to really know how it is, and I own the KSE1500, so trying it is not like owning it, if I owned the Elysium I might change my mind, but in short comparisons the KSE1500 is still king.Finally I can be happy with Khan and AK SP2000 and sell the KSE1500 without regretting it, I am not that fixated or have a sworn alliance to any company

Sorry bro but kse1200/1500 is absolutely not the best ever and certainly not an premium allrounder... What type of music are you listening to ? Probably only jazz/classical I guess...

I tried the kse1500 several times and for me it's an absolute joke when it comes to try to render correctly hip hop or pop or rock or even electronic and funk music and it has exactly the same issues than other electrostatic headphones like sr007 or sr009 :

- total lacks of extension in low frequency
- no slam in bass no fun no groove
- total lack of power/dynamic couple in general. I can easely make kse1200/1500 or even sr007 or 9 saturated with horrible boomy render in bass section with hip hop / electronic music pushing the volume more than low/average listener.
- electrostatic technology is interesting because of the fluidity of sound and a special render but never been all-rounder. Exactly the same problem with electrostatic speakers by the way. Maybe senny make it great with the last Orpheus because of the enormous size of the drivers make them having slam power and huge dynamic on all genres.

I know perfectly what kind of people are in love the kse 1500 :

- people who are listening at low (or very low) volume
- people in love with classical music / jazz especially. Certainly no all genre and never hip hop or electronic or funk.

Try to listen to Warren G or Snoop dog or pop track like Royal by Lorde you'll see electrostatic has no groove make it sound boring and clinical.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #19,088 of 39,414
Sorry bro but kse1200/1500 is absolutely not the best ever and certainly not an premium allrounder... What type of music are you listening to ? Probably only jazz/classical I guess...

I tried the kse1500 several times and for me it's an absolute joke when it comes to try to render correctly hip hop or pop or rock or even electronic and funk music and it has exactly the same issues than other electrostatic headphones like sr007 or sr009 :

- total lacks of extension in low frequency
- no slam in bass no fun no groove
- total lack of power/dynamic couple in general. I can easely make kse1200/1500 or even sr007 or 9 saturated with horrible boomy render in bass section with hip hop / electronic music pushing the volume more than low/average listener.
- electrostatic technology is interesting because of the fluidity of sound and a special render but never been all-rounder. Exactly the same problem with electrostatic speakers by the way. Maybe senny make it great with the last Orpheus because of the enormous size of the drivers make them having slam power and huge dynamic on all genres.

I know perfectly what kind of people are in love the kse 1500 :

- people who are listening at low (or very low) volume
- people in love with classical music / jazz especially. Certainly no all genre and never hip hop or electronic or funk.

Try to listen to Warren G or Snoop dog or pop track like Royal by Lorde you'll see electrostatic has no groove make it sound boring and clinical.
I actually have this problem with Eminem. A lot of my gear is somewhat bright, or once it's been paired with certain sources or cables it ends up being pretty bright, so Eminem's voice starts sounding really harsh and spiky

With everything else I love it, but Eminem specifically used to be one of my favourite artists and he's been somewhat ruined for me

Nov 25, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #19,089 of 39,414
I own an A12t which is tuned dark. The U12t should be bright enough to be considered W shaped. Either way, you will be treated to excellent resolution and texture when paired with the right gear (silver cable). All 64 gear is bass and subbass heavy though, both for the brighter and darker treble tunings.

The QDC 8 hifi might be a good fit per your descriptions actually, though bear in mind the delayed treble timing will give you a sense of over brightness at first. Give it some time and it will develop into a large sense of space with a pretty neutral signature.

I'd actually be getting an A12T, seems a top contender. QDC 8 hifi as well. And I still have an interest in the Katana despite it being having leaner bass.

For anyone who has heard the Itsfit Lab Fusion, how does it compare to the A12T, Qdc 8 hifi or Noble Katana. Really their up and coming nature, support (already really responsive to my emails) and innovation with their Magneostatic driver have me really excited.

Nov 25, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #19,090 of 39,414
I'd actually be getting an A12T, seems a top contender. QDC 8 hifi as well. And I still have an interest in the Katana despite it being having leaner bass.

For anyone who has heard the Itsfit Lab Fusion, how does it compare to the A12T, Qdc 8 hifi or Noble Katana. Really their up and coming nature, support (already really responsive to my emails) and innovation with their Magneostatic driver have me really excited.
The Fusion has undeniably better bass than the Katana... Similar quantity more quality

The midrange goes comfortably to the Katana, but there's generally few IEMs that can compare or compete with it. Way better texture, more detail etc

The treble is comparable, maybe the Fusion has a slight upper hand there. Not by a huge margin, but I just like that it has some more forwardness in the Fusion and is generally a bit bolder

Fusion has better imaging, cause well, it has better imaging than everything haha.

Overall, I personally prefer the Katana a bit more, as I am a freak for a good midrange, and I am extremely picky about it. Can't say the Katana is a better performer though

Nov 25, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #19,092 of 39,414
Speaking of the Fusion, anyone from the previous sale received notification of posting on their universal yet? I ordered on the 3/11, and no sign of universal shipping out yet. Ironic that all the CIEM orders seem to have been done - guess they are doing the uni in one large batch. So much for the 1 week estimate on their website...

itsfit just posted this on their IG. 'Looks like you shouldn't be waiting too much longer now.

Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 10.53.29 PM.png

Nov 25, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #19,094 of 39,414
The Fusion has undeniably better bass than the Katana... Similar quantity more quality

The midrange goes comfortably to the Katana, but there's generally few IEMs that can compare or compete with it. Way better texture, more detail etc

The treble is comparable, maybe the Fusion has a slight upper hand there. Not by a huge margin, but I just like that it has some more forwardness in the Fusion and is generally a bit bolder

Fusion has better imaging, cause well, it has better imaging than everything haha.

Overall, I personally prefer the Katana a bit more, as I am a freak for a good midrange, and I am extremely picky about it. Can't say the Katana is a better performer though

This makes me think I will prefer the Fusion to the Katana, as the Katana sounds similar to my Spartans. Also from Pinky's review of the Spartan's he seemed to think of them as 90% the Encore without the extended treble. With the Encore being bass heavier, slightly more V shaped, it further confirms maybe to stay away from the Katana's and let the Spartans maintain that mid range role. Really would like something less lean.

Now to decide between A12T, QDC 8 Hifi and the Fusions.....decisions decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back