flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 18, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #17,176 of 39,414
Hey folks! Just got back from my 21st birthday dinner with the family and - as they say - there’s no better gift than giving. So, in that spirit, I’m glad to announce that I’ve started a brand new series on THL called A First Look. I’ve realised that quick, timely sound impressions are just as important as detailed ones. So, since my full reviews usually take quite a bit of time to put together, A First Look will be my outlet for first impressions. That way, you guys'll have something to munch on while I work on the more thorough write-ups. Kicking things off with a bang, the first episode features new flagships from Lime Ears, Empire Ears, Vision Ears and HUM, along with brief comparisons against relevant products. As always, I hope you enjoy. Cheers! :D

21? Oh my.... I have socks that are 21 lol. Happy Birthday. My Birthday was on the 9th, but I don't dare say which one it was.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #17,177 of 39,414
21? Oh my.... I have socks that are as old as you, Happy Birthday. LOL My Birthday was on the 9th, but I don't dare say which one it was.
Now there is a dedicated audiophile! Even saving on socks for over two decades to buy new gear. :D

And happy belated birthday to you to sir!
tenor.gif

Jul 18, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #17,178 of 39,414
Now there is a dedicated audiophile! Even saving on socks for over two decades to buy new gear. :D

And happy belated birthday to you to sir!
tenor.gif
Thanks Wyville...I have save where I can, the secret is to not have more holes than material.

Jul 18, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #17,179 of 39,414
Jul 18, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #17,180 of 39,414
Hey folks! Just got back from my 21st birthday dinner with the family and - as they say - there’s no better gift than giving. So, in that spirit, I’m glad to announce that I’ve started a brand new series on THL called A First Look. I’ve realised that quick, timely sound impressions are just as important as detailed ones. So, since my full reviews usually take quite a bit of time to put together, A First Look will be my outlet for first impressions. That way, you guys'll have something to munch on while I work on the more thorough write-ups. Kicking things off with a bang, the first episode features new flagships from Lime Ears, Empire Ears, Vision Ears and HUM, along with brief comparisons against relevant products. As always, I hope you enjoy. Cheers! :D

Man....twentyoneyearswtf!!! :D

Daniel...happy B-Day anyways !!
I don't just have some 21 years old socks btw.....i guess there are actually some knickers with the same age in my wardrobe as well...

giphy.gif

- rewind please -

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #17,182 of 39,414
i remember there was a totl list before this that also opined that se5u was at the top of the game but I cannot for the life of me understand why. Ive had the se5u and it was the darkest IEM ive ever heard, and this is coming from a previous owner of the JH roxanne. Putting on any comparable (price wise) IEMs even the tg334 sounded so much clearer and defined. Not to shoot at spiral ears but im just really curious

Jul 18, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #17,183 of 39,414
:wink: did you bake yourself a delicious cake?

Nah, birthdays are for family time, sleep and audio articles. :wink:

21? Oh my.... I have socks that are 21 lol. Happy Birthday. My Birthday was on the 9th, but I don't dare say which one it was.

Nice! Happy belated birthday, Troy! :D

Man....twentyoneyearswtf!!! :D

Daniel...happy B-Day anyways !!
I don't just have some 21 years old socks btw.....i guess there are actually some knickers with the same age in my wardrobe as well...

giphy.gif

- rewind please -

Happy birthday and many, many more.

Cheers, guys! Much appreciated. :D

Jul 18, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #17,185 of 39,414
i remember there was a totl list before this that also opined that se5u was at the top of the game but I cannot for the life of me understand why. Ive had the se5u and it was the darkest IEM ive ever heard, and this is coming from a previous owner of the JH roxanne. Putting on any comparable (price wise) IEMs even the tg334 sounded so much clearer and defined. Not to shoot at spiral ears but im just really curious
It depends a lot on the criteria that are used to determine the rankings, as at the end of the day it is a subjective ranking (listening to music is invariably a subjective experience). What Nic did, and the reason I rate his shootout so highly, is establish his own criteria, his views on sound and his general approach to the shootout beforehand in a very comprehensive way (ie. the first post). Even if you have different conclusions based on your own experience, Nic made it possible to understand where he was coming from.

For someone like me, who shares similar preferences, it even became a reason to blind-buy the Empire Ears Phantom and I have never regretted that decision. I have not heard the SE5U, but the Phantom have a very warm signature that some people might consider dark, but I rate them among the very best I have heard. At the same time I know all too well that they will not be everyone's cup of tea. That is why I personally prefer this type of shootout over continually updated ranking lists, as the latter might create too much an impression of objectivity. When something is inherently subjective, the best thing to do is take that subjectivity into account and I think Nic did that very well. Based on the information he gave beforehand and applied consistently with each of the IEMs, a picture emerges of the specific strengths that result in a higher ranking. Those might not be your own priority, but a choice needs to be made in order to be consistent.

Jul 18, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #17,186 of 39,414

What the heck is with all these July birthdays?!? In the last 10 days it was my birthday, Nic's birthday, Daniel's birthday, and now yours. :D

Jul 18, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #17,187 of 39,414
Nah, birthdays are for family time, sleep and audio articles. :wink:

Nice! Happy belated birthday, Troy! :D

Cheers, guys! Much appreciated. :D
What the heck is with all these July birthdays?!? In the last 10 days it was my birthday, Nic's birthday, Daniel's birthday, and now yours. :D
Happy Birthday to all you great thread posters! Mine was yesterday! :ksc75smile:
101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-99-720x907.jpg

Jul 18, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #17,190 of 39,414
Birthday's, reviewers, Head-Fier's, music lovers and the parallels continue....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back