flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 1, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #10,172 of 39,414
Speaking of sources, I picked up something nice to play with from hifisolutions when I brought back Utopia. I too can confirm nobody on this thread had anything to do with it!

IMAG1488.jpg

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #10,173 of 39,414
Lots of cool new gear. Loving it.

I feel, based on limited knowledge, at the Copper is warmer more relaxed and gives me A more subtle inner detail in the mids and upper mids/lower treble.

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #10,174 of 39,414
I don't know if it was addressed previously, but can I ask why the thread for The Soundwriter is no longer available and @flinkenick your article on it on theheadphonelist also leads to an Error 404. Did something happen? Why is it so difficult to find information on them!!

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #10,176 of 39,414
I don't know if it was addressed previously, but can I ask why the thread for The Soundwriter is no longer available and @flinkenick your article on it on theheadphonelist also leads to an Error 404. Did something happen? Why is it so difficult to find information on them!!
The Soundwriter project is undergoing some revisions, I think they will make an announcement when the time is right. As a sidenote, I have come to find the Soundwriter the highest performing (BA) iem I have heard so far in terms of transparency and resolution.

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #10,177 of 39,414
The Soundwriter project is undergoing some revisions, I think they will make an announcement when the time is right. As a sidenote, I have come to find the Soundwriter the highest performing (BA) iem I have heard so far in terms of transparency and resolution.

I see... I thought they got kicked off Headfi because they were advertising through the wrong channels or smth lol...

Jun 1, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #10,179 of 39,414
the discussion on amp was very insightful and interesting thanks guys :D
Just wondering, what's Sony amp general traits? I have Zeus XR, Layla and would like to buy my first proper dap, currently looking at Sony. Had tried AK line up but it feels too analytical to me

i have zeus xr + wm1a and they sound fine , more than enough power for my XR ( listen to 30-50/120 no need to raise the volume any higher)

also i think - since XR is not some thick-sounding ciem - that it should pair also well with wm1z (if you are not on a budget and want something lushier than wm1a)

Jun 1, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #10,181 of 39,414
Jun 1, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #10,183 of 39,414
Speaking of sources, I picked up something nice to play with from hifisolutions when I brought back Utopia. I too can confirm nobody on this thread had anything to do with it!

Make sure you try in USB mode as well, with a device in airplane mode feeding it. Hugo2 sounds different from every port. The highest sound quality with Hugo2 is with no filter (white) and no crossfeed. I also found Hugo2 + CDM (amp only mode) to be the best SQ(all the detail, stage, layering and separation of Hugo2 + Warm Mids, overall emotion and life of tube amp). I've got Wa8 coming and I can only imagine what H2 + Wa8 will sound like. = P

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #10,184 of 39,414

Oh Jesus, the Soundwriter was already my most anticipated IEM to hear, now you've made it even worse. There is something to high quality wiring and components, the clarity I heard in the Zeus XR was astounding. I'm sure SW has this as well given the similar take on quality internals approach o\f EE instead of just cheap wiring.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #10,185 of 39,414
Oh Jesus, the Soundwriter was already my most anticipated IEM to hear, now you've made it even worse. There is something to high quality wiring and components, the clarity I heard in the Zeus XR was astounding. I'm sure SW has this as well given the similar take on quality internals approach o\f EE instead of just cheap wiring.

I should remind you that the Soundwriter is a collaboration with 64Audio; not EE. But, I can confirm what Nic's saying: There will be a shift in the SW's campaign, but it's all for the best and I can't wait until Project K unveils their flagship in its final form. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back