flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 10, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #9,812 of 39,414
it's weird, if I use more precise language, I wouldn't say that the track sounds "above me", rather, it feels "higher than normal" like I was sitting on a low couch listening to them perform. I noticed this most on the Freddie freeloader from kind of blue. the saxophone (there's a saxophone on either side) is usually just below chest level when it is being played, but in the album they sound like they are shoulder height. I'm not sure what type of piano (left) was used in the recording, but it also sounds as if it were coming from shoulder height. the trumpet (center) sounds like it's just above eye level. my left ear isn't fully healed yet (I can hear up to 19 khz now but not very loudly) so my hearing isn't too precise at the moment.

I read up a little on the sound engineering of the recording. I'm listening to the dsd from acoustic sounds, which I believe was meant for speakers (does that even matter). the microphone placement isn't actually low, from pictures, it seems to be placed quite high up. the room they recorded in is pretty large too, there's plenty of reverb in the recording to be heard. this is a really old recording, recorded in mono using tape rather than digital.

I love this album all the same tho

Well, the track themselves are mono, but the resulting recording is always stereo. Otherwise, the track would have literally zero width; localised in a congested smush in the middle of your head. Reverb is also usually added via outboard gear rather than literally recorded, unless - again - the recording was made in a live environment with room mics to capture reverb off the walls. I’ll look it up and get back to you.

May 10, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #9,815 of 39,414
I posted this by accident in the Empire Ears thread last night. I guess I was passed the point of exhaustion, because I thought I posted it here instead.

So... here it is.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

If anyone is looking for a really affordable Phantom-like IEM...

Of course, I say that, having never heard Phantom. So please, take that with a pinch of salt. :wink:

May 10, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #9,816 of 39,414
I posted this by accident in the Empire Ears thread last night. I guess I was passed the point of exhaustion, because I thought I posted it here instead.

So... here it is.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

If anyone is looking for a really affordable Phantom-like IEM...

Of course, I say that, having never heard Phantom. So please, take that with a pinch of salt. :wink:

thanks. Love seeing a more reference product at a lower cost. Just wondering what KIND of salt? May I recommend a nice Black Lava salt to go with the nice red. I believe it will be a wonderful complement.

May 10, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #9,817 of 39,414
The Erlkonig has finally been revealed! More subtle than I expected, but there's way more to this design than just flash. The shell itself is entirely made of pure silver and the faceplates are removable for both easy cosmetic swapping and accessing the dial that lets you choose between the four different signatures. (Image from @MyIEMStore on Instagram)

31897665_757804281093351_8472941001411919872_n.jpg

May 10, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #9,818 of 39,414
The Erlkonig has finally been revealed! More subtle than I expected, but there's way more to this design than just flash. The shell itself is entirely made of pure silver and the faceplates are removable for both easy cosmetic swapping and accessing the dial that lets you choose between the four different signatures. (Image from @MyIEMStore on Instagram)

Wait till you see the whole package :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May 10, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #9,821 of 39,414

yes,
it's the only earphone that instead of a pelican case will arrive in a safety box :ksc75smile:

So cool. Yes a safe would be nice.

May 10, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #9,823 of 39,414

Wowsers!
I'm a sucker for good design and aesthetics and this is a seriously nice job :)
I wonder how it sounds :p

May 10, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #9,824 of 39,414
Wowsers!
I'm a sucker for good design and aesthetics and this is a seriously nice job :)
I wonder how it sounds :p

These are my impressions from my CanJam write-up. :wink:

Vision Ears

Stationed at the opposite end of the Euphoria suite was German IEM manufacturer, Vision Ears. Amin and Marcel flew all the way to Singapore for the event, where they previewed their prototype universal flagship IEM: The Erlkonig. The Erlkonig is a 13-driver IEM with 4 switchable tunings – selected via a dial around the cavum of the shell. The IEM’s faceplate, shell design and tuning dial will be unveiled at High End Munich in May. The Erlkonig I heard had a specific tuning pre-selected, which I will refer to as the CanJam Singapore tuning.

Vision Ears Erlkonig: The Erlkonig is a mainstream-tuned IEM with no particular bias towards any genre or tonal direction. Although this would imply a generic or unsubstantial signature, the Erlkonig strives because of a balance between versatility, engagement and technical performance. The CanJam tuning was particularly mid-bass-emphasised and lightly warm. Because of admirable low-end extension, bass notes are as melodious as they are easy to identify. Much like their flagship VE8, the Erlkonig crafts its energetic and inviting signature through dense notes set against a pitch-black background. But, in order to maximise soundscape expansion, the Erlkonig produces neutrally-sized instruments fanned out equally throughout its stage. Compared to similarly-tuned IEMs like the Jomo prototypes or the Unique Melody Mason V3, the VE flagship fares better in terms of note resolution and vocal definition. Because of an intricate balance between a lifted mid-bass, a linear midrange and a refined-yet-articulate treble, instruments sound more complete and coherent – even though they still lean more towards clarity than organicity.

The Erlkonig’s midrange is defined by an evenness that spans throughout its vocal range. Unlike the scale and forwardness of the VE8, the universal flagship sources its resolution through density and physical solidity. The aforementioned fully-formed instruments are equipped with a tactility that gives its presentation realism without the need for a brighter tone. Although a lower-treble lift exists to provide articulation in snare drums, hi-hats, etc., smoothness is excellently maintained through great headroom, a speedy decay and balance against low-end warmth. Like the VE8, the Erlkonig maintains a linear and neutrally-tuned upper-treble. It performs excellently in extension and transient response, forming generous amounts of micro-detail throughout the stage without forging an excessively wispy or crispy presentation. This sense of top-end control is also why the Erlkonig maintains a blacker background than the VE8. Its resolution, cleanliness and well-organised stage is a result of this achievement; maintaining both a spacious, roomy soundscape, and the dynamic impact of a boosted mid-bass.

Taken together, the current iteration of the Erlkonig is an excellent all-rounder. Although its mind-blowing rumoured price will only be palatable to the upper echelon of audiophilia, its performance evokes a similar vein of supremacy. The CanJam tuning was admittedly immensely enjoyable, but to me, it’ll take at least three more excellent signatures for this flagship to prove its worth – a challenge I’m sure Amin and Marcel won’t mind accepting with a wink and a smile.

May 10, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #9,825 of 39,414
I dare say the pre reveal one looked hella better >:-]]

Shell etched too, tuning dial openly accssible but recessed under the concha on the inside ear side

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back