flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 3, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #9,632 of 39,414
Yeah, but driver count doesn’t determine transparency or clarity. The 20-driver Rhapsodio Infinity comes to mind.
My friend in Hong Kong has tried the demo. It sounds more resolving and musical than A18t with excellent transparency. It is still in development, maybe will be even improved.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #9,633 of 39,414
My friend in Hong Kong has tried the demo. It sounds more resolving and musical than A18t with excellent transparency. It is still under development, maybe will be even improved.

Oh, if there are impressions behind it, then yeah, the FAudio flagship could very well be more transparent than the A18. Can’t wait for its release, then! :D

May 3, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #9,634 of 39,414
Yeah, but driver count doesn’t determine transparency or clarity. The 20-driver Rhapsodio Infinity comes to mind.

Whaaattt??! Come on, everybody knows that driver count is everything! :wink:
That's why the ones with the most drivers cost the most money :)
Except for the Tia Fourte, but that's because each of its drivers has been scientifically proven to be worth 5 normal ones :wink:

May 3, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #9,635 of 39,414
Oh, if there are impressions behind it, then yeah, the FAudio flagship could very well be more transparent than the A18. Can’t wait for its release, then! :D
I am looking forward to its release too. It is called Engine V2. Universal shell only. Estimate MSRP is around 2500 USD, cheaper than A18. :D

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #9,636 of 39,414
Whaaattt??! Come on, everybody knows that driver count is everything! :wink:
That's why the ones with the most drivers cost the most money :)
Except for the Tia Fourte, but that's because each of its drivers has been scientifically proven to be worth 5 normal ones :wink:

And three of the four drivers use neither tubes nor dampers, tuned purely by the acoustics of the enclosure.

I am looking forward to its release too. It is called Engine V2. Universal shell only. Estimate MSRP is around 2500 USD, cheaper than A18. :D

Darn, I was hoping for a custom version as well. Though, I’ve seen pictures of the universal and it is packed to the brim! :D

May 3, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #9,637 of 39,414
And three of the four drivers use neither tubes nor dampers, tuned purely by the acoustics of the enclosure.

Darn, I was hoping for a custom version as well. Though, I’ve seen pictures of the universal and it is packed to the brim! :D

Faudio has custom iem DIY workshop for customers. You can go there and build your own custom 22 driver beast by your own hands. That's would be more fun.

May 3, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #9,638 of 39,414
You are probably the first person to ever describe the LX bass in that manner. It's strange that you found the Dream bass to be as you described but yet the LX bass was not up to par, as, to me, I ranked the bass as follows: LX>Galaxy V2>Dream. Of course we all hear differently, but there has to be a logical explanation to your problem.

Did you get a good seal on the LX in your ear?
What tips were on the LX?
What cable?
As Deez also asked, what DAP or source did you use to test both units?

I will recommend oBravo eamt2c with 1z over all IEM (I have se5ult , Fad x-g , ex1000, shure se 535 )

I am using a ZX300 that a Friend bought for me while, and he also let me use his Dream at the same time. I do not know what tips were used, but it was a translucent tip that felt like rubber, but smooth. I do not know what cable was used, but I know that my Friend helped me to change the cables so that I could use the 4.4 hole on my player. I agree that the cable may be important, as even in speakers we also change the cables to improve the sound, but the cable change does not make a large change in detail or signature. I think that if I change the cable, the Dream may gan more vocal kids, and the Legend X may have more details. But it will not give the Dream the mid of the Legend X, or the legend X will not gain the bass precise detail of the Dream. I was also surprised that the Legend X had so little detail because it is EE’s best earphone, but my Friend also think the same which is why he suggested the dream when I told him my what I thought. But I think I will try the Legend X again, as it has a dynamic driver which is what @flinkenick seems to be recommending. I will also take time to read the comments about the Empire earphone here and on their main page to better understand their sound style.

@Tawek I read about oBravo. However it seems like this company does not do custom. Actually, it looks like the universals are even more painful to wear than normal earphones from the picture! Have you tried it? It looks so Long and deep in the ear!

@flinkenick Thank you! I see that your recommendation is to look at dynamic driver. I was searching the internet, and I see that another company that make a dynamic custom is the Kumitate earphone company. They have the KL-Ref. Have you heard it before? Would the KL-ref have the vocals of the Flamenco which was suggested with a similar bass as the dream? Sorry to bother you. I think that Jaben carries Kumitate but I only can test it next week when I have some free time to travel there.

May 3, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #9,639 of 39,414
I seem to either misunderstand what is meant by "resolving", or see it often being misused, as I see certain conflicting impressions on what it means to some vs others.

Can anyone please elaborate?

(Incoming textbook answer from @Deezel177 in 5...4...3... :ksc75smile:)

200w (8).gif

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #9,640 of 39,414
I am using a ZX300 that a Friend bought for me while, and he also let me use his Dream at the same time. I do not know what tips were used, but it was a translucent tip that felt like rubber, but smooth. I do not know what cable was used, but I know that my Friend helped me to change the cables so that I could use the 4.4 hole on my player. I agree that the cable may be important, as even in speakers we also change the cables to improve the sound, but the cable change does not make a large change in detail or signature. I think that if I change the cable, the Dream may gan more vocal kids, and the Legend X may have more details. But it will not give the Dream the mid of the Legend X, or the legend X will not gain the bass precise detail of the Dream. I was also surprised that the Legend X had so little detail because it is EE’s best earphone, but my Friend also think the same which is why he suggested the dream when I told him my what I thought. But I think I will try the Legend X again, as it has a dynamic driver which is what @flinkenick seems to be recommending. I will also take time to read the comments about the Empire earphone here and on their main page to better understand their sound style.

@Tawek I read about oBravo. However it seems like this company does not do custom. Actually, it looks like the universals are even more painful to wear than normal earphones from the picture! Have you tried it? It looks so Long and deep in the ear!

@flinkenick Thank you! I see that your recommendation is to look at dynamic driver. I was searching the internet, and I see that another company that make a dynamic custom is the Kumitate earphone company. They have the KL-Ref. Have you heard it before? Would the KL-ref have the vocals of the Flamenco which was suggested with a similar bass as the dream? Sorry to bother you. I think that Jaben carries Kumitate but I only can test it next week when I have some free time to travel there.

The Legend X sounds like it may lack burn-in. If your dealer sells Empire IEMs, try the Bravado or the Vantage to get an idea of the X series’ signature. The KL-Ref - from memory - is dark in tone with a top-end peak for clarity (not harsh, though). It’s more FitEar-esque with a reverb-like effect from a boosted mid-bass. The Flamenco is cleaner and tighter in the vocal range by comparison.

I seem to either misunderstand what is meant by "resolving", or see it often being misused, as I see certain conflicting impressions on what it means to some vs others.

Can anyone please elaborate?

(Incoming textbook answer from @Deezel177 in 5...4...3... :ksc75smile:)

A transducer’s resolution - to me - represents its ability to render the entire sonic landscape at once. While resolution is commonly attributed to clarity, the latter simply refers to the leading edge of the note. True resolution should render not only the whole note (from articulation to decay), but it should also accurately portray how well the note blends into the background. This determines how well the transducer resolves overtones or harmonics. The Warbler Prelude - for example - does this extremely well. Speaking of the Prelude, linearity and coherence also play a part in resolution. When the entire frequency response is even-handed and no range overpowers another, then every component of the soundscape is equally easily audible; increasing perceived resolution. Finally, coherence is responsible for constructing an even and proportional soundstage. Aside from volume, instruments should also be fanned out equally from left to right. This is why I highly praised the Mason V3’s coherence, which is capable of maintaining an equally-distributed stage despite its 16-driver configuration.

This is all I can say for now while I wait for dinner, so I’m sure there are tidbits I’m missing. Luckily, we have tons of insightful members here to chime in on their thoughts as well. I’d love to read them to see what they think! :D

May 3, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #9,642 of 39,414
A transducer’s resolution - to me - represents its ability to render the entire sonic landscape at once. While resolution is commonly attributed to clarity, the latter simply refers to the leading edge of the note. True resolution should render not only the whole note (from articulation to decay), but it should also accurately portray how well the note blends into the background. This determines how well the transducer resolves overtones or harmonics. The Warbler Prelude - for example - does this extremely well. Speaking of the Prelude, linearity and coherence also play a part in resolution. When the entire frequency response is even-handed and no range overpowers another, then every component of the soundscape is equally easily audible; increasing perceived resolution. Finally, coherence is responsible for constructing an even and proportional soundstage. Aside from volume, instruments should also be fanned out equally from left to right. This is why I highly praised the Mason V3’s coherence, which is capable of maintaining an equally-distributed stage despite its 16-driver configuration.

This is all I can say for now while I wait for dinner, so I’m sure there are tidbits I’m missing. Luckily, we have tons of insightful members here to chime in on their thoughts as well. I’d love to read them to see what they think! :D
Thanks! And the question was open to all of course, I was just teasing a bit :beerchug:

Wasn't aware that resolution and resolving were the same terms.:L3000:

May 3, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #9,643 of 39,414

Dream's weakness is indeed its thin mids, as with the Galaxy. But I was trying to read between the lines and check where your priorities lie, and since you mentioned detail frequently it seemed like an option. But good to know that vocals are just as important. Kumitate might indeed be interesting for you, from what I read they also tend to lean towards the brighter side. But like Fitear, it's one of those companies whom's iems rarely make it out of Asia so I've never been able to try them.

Out of curiosity, do you tend to generally listen at lower volumes? I've had discussions with friends about this in the past, the bass can more easily get overpowering at lower volumes, resulting in a different balance of the sound signature. So, bassy/warmer sound will result in a loss of transparency (or increased 'muddiness'), and a brighter signature is required to maintain a similar level of detail.

May 3, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #9,644 of 39,414
Thanks! And the question was open to all of course, I was just teasing a bit :beerchug:

Yeah well I am glad for your question as it gave us @Deezel177 definition, it clarifies things quite well and you’re right to ask, there are a lot of words and concepts involved in this hobby and you learn every day :)

Out of curiosity, do you tend to generally listen at lower volumes? I've had discussions with friends about this in the past, the bass can more easily get overpowering at lower volumes, resulting in a different balance of the sound signature. So, bassy/warmer sound will result in a loss of transparency (or increased 'muddiness'), and a brighter signature is required to maintain a similar level of detail.

I have noticed this as a low volume listener, isn’t this called the masking effect?

I find this is probably why I listen louder with the VE8 than the Phantom, I am not sure what the impedance and sensitivity of the Phantom (compared to VE8) is but it probably doesn’t explain it. Something I deeply appreciate with the Phantom, it’s not what I would call a bright signature but very nice balance even at lower volumes.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #9,645 of 39,414

It is of course possible to read the term as being "resolving detail" ie. referring to detail retrieval, rather than resolution. The terms "resolution" and "detail" are of course often used interchangeably, but the way I am learning it now (and I am just a grasshopper) is that the two are referring to different aspects of the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back