flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 13, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #13,681 of 39,414
I feel like some earphones completely surround you and fill your ears at the same time. What's the best way to describe this sensation? I get this sensation from my A12t's but a lot of cheaper universals don't sound like that. I have to be honest I still haven't demoed much of the higher end earphone sphere so I'm not sure if those sound like that too, but the Laylas which are the first earphones I've demoed that are more expensive than my customs do sound like that. They filled my ears yet surrounded me with sound as well as my customs did, perhaps even better.

Jan 13, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #13,682 of 39,414
I think most people will like the Solaris, unless you are really looking for neutral / analytical.
Not the just the Solaris methinks, not a lot of stuff out there actually is neutral/analytical. I almost dropped 3K on the A18t before I found out about headfi

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #13,683 of 39,414
I hope the Solaris won't turn into a noble K10. I really gotta go demo it but I honestly have no plans of buying universal. Has anyone done a custom sleeve for it yet?

I am waiting on my custom art custom tips for the Solaris, sometime in january not sure yet when... I’ll let you know!

Jan 13, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #13,684 of 39,414
Not the just the Solaris methinks, not a lot of stuff out there actually is neutral/analytical. I almost dropped 3K om the A18t before I found out about headfi
This. Why don't more companies make IEMs that sound natural/warm/musical instead of extracting details and making it full analytical

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #13,685 of 39,414
Not the just the Solaris methinks, not a lot of stuff out there actually is neutral/analytical. I almost dropped 3K om the A18t before I found out about headfi

Are you saying you believe the A18t is neutral/analytical, or that it isn't?

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #13,687 of 39,414
U18t or A18t? ... they sound very different. Also, "very neutral" is a funny term...like ordering a burger "extra medium." :smile_phones: Would agree if you don't appreciate a neutral sound, the A12t is probably a better choice, but it does give up some headroom and detail vs. the 18.

In my experience, the U18t impressed me enough that I sprung for the custom version. I was pleasantly surprised to find the custom version significantly strengthened some of the only weaknesses I found in the universal version.

This Inner Fidelity review observed the same:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/64-audio-a18t-in-ear-monitor

In my personal review of the U18t, I mention that its most impressive strength is the ability to be both neutral and incredibly fun and engaging. This is what makes it so unique in my experience.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/64-audio-u18-tzar.22420/reviews#review-20908

The A18t only improves upon the signature of the U18t.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #13,688 of 39,414
Are you saying you believe the A18t is neutral/analytical, or that it isn't?
It is very neutral and borderline bright.

Personally the A18t is what I would describe as neutral and bright. Albeit in relation to the mainstream sound tuning that 64 Audio.

This. Why don't more companies make IEMs that sound natural/warm/musical instead of extracting details and making it full analytical
When you get into the territory of some of the high end stuff, they tend to focus on techcal capability which seems to translate into analytical more than anything else.

Personally I prefer a flat neutral/analytic sound with some musicality thrown. Sadly the overwhelming majority of IEMs are: pick 1 of the 3, some offer 2 of 3.

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #13,689 of 39,414
Personally the A18t is what I would describe as neutral and bright.

Personally I prefer a flat neutral/analytic sound with some musicality thrown [in]. Sadly the overwhelming majority of IEMs are: pick 1 of the 3, some offer 2 of 3.

So, you owned the A18t and sold it when you found it too neutral?

This is exactly what makes the A18t so unique in my experience.

Jan 13, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #13,690 of 39,414
A12t is probably a better choice, but it does give up some headroom and detail vs. the 18
For some reason, the more I listen to mine and play around with eqs the more I think the A12t is a little dark in the treble. Perhaps it is my tastes changing to want a brighter signature, but even the old AK Layla I demoed a few weeks ago sounded a tad brighter than the A12t. Overall, it's been feeling quite dark and warm sounding to me lately. Probably been boosting treble too much in my eq's

Jan 13, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #13,691 of 39,414
I personally didn't find the u12t "dark," at least not generally speaking. I found the overall presentation of the u12t to be powerful, with a definite emphasis on the lower frequencies. However, it still had a very clean and defined top-end to my ears.

But, in comparison to the u18t, (which would be a worthy competitor to any other totl iem in virtually any sonic area,) the top-end of the 12 is clearly less pronounced, and slightly less defined; a little darker, as you say, Pithy. The ability of the 18 to tick out every little last detail anywhere on the soundstage in the high frequencies is really astounding to me...and made the 18 sound much more exciting to my ears, which is a large reason I went with it.

On the a18t, I find that everything I loved about the u18t is preserved and enhanced. The two areas I find to be the most improved on the custom version are spatial imaging performance and bass. At times I found the u18t to have a little less bass than I would have liked, (even less than what I'd consider neutral.) I felt this had a slightly detrimental impact on tonality. On the custom, there is a significant enhancement to the bass, in both overall warmth and impact. This does a lot to help enrich tonality. And, while being able to pinpoint instruments was good on the U18t, I just find there to be far more accuracy in this regard on the custom.

After my experience comparing the custom version of the 18 against the universal, I'd be curious to hear the custom version of the 12. While I like the u12t, and would consider it to be quite technically proficient, I found it to sound a bit flat. I would guess that I'd find the custom version to be a bit more energetic and exciting...

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #13,692 of 39,414
I'm sure it wasn't easy for Erik @Wyville to send Trinity loaner back after the review, cause I know he loved that new Jomo audio hybrid flagship :wink: Just shared his review on tw6 which I'm sure gonna make it to Head-fi soon as well.

No granite countertop, so you guys know the picture didn't come from me :wink:

Pics_07-IMAGE_7.JPG

Jan 13, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #13,693 of 39,414
Yeah, A12t isn't actually dark per se. Its probably my preferences shifting due to playing with eqs and listening to the layla. To me, the highs sound a little flat. Drums sound flat to me without an eq. I've heard people say hi-hats don't sound natural on 64 audio iems but I can't tell. It's the rest of the drum kit sounding flat as well. Theres also a noticeable upper mids dip when compared to my really old (and possibly broken) B stock Campfire Audio Jupiters. I was listening to the Jupiters and I noticed some details I hadn't noticed before with my A12t in the upper mids. Lows to low mids are all pretty pronounced to me but that might also be caused by my current selection of source and cable which are a Chord Mojo and Hansound Aegis. I'm planning on getting a dx200 and a Leonidas II to try and skew the A12t to a brighter signature.

I feel like the more I listen to higher end gear in particular, the more picky I get. I used to like damn near everything, heck I used to love the shure se846 but that thing sounds so dark and flat to me now.

Edit: either that or I'll sell a kidney and try to get one of them spanking new electrostat driver iems

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #13,694 of 39,414
@toaster22
Those are the words of a lunatic deeply in love with their A18t. Their technical prowess are indeed competitive and TIA certainly helps allocating drivers usually used in highs to the mids and bass. I didnt own the 18t at all, but it was definitely on my shortlist for my first TOTL IEM. It just didnt tick the boxes like the Zeus R did, and the price factored in as well.

@pithyginger63
Sell your other kidney as well and get me an electrostat as well :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back