flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 3, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #13,576 of 39,414
Well, to each their own. The review reached 5,000 words mostly because of the technologies I had to describe and the Synergy section. It's something I've never included with my IEM reviews, but I felt it mattered exponentially more when it came to headphones. The Sound section isn't much longer than usual, except for the two paragraphs I added in Presentation - again, because I felt it was necessary. As a professional, the ETHER 2 is a headphone I've waited for for a long time. As soon as I heard my own recordings on them, I knew that I was in for something outstanding - again, not in terms of sheer wow factor or flash, but how it performed without those crutches. Have no fear, I'll be doing more headphone reviews in the future. Hopefully you'll find one of those worth your time. :)
This could be key, I'm not a professional in this field, I only require that gear I own be enjoyable to listen to, according to my preferences. All the technology in the world wouldn't matter to me if I didn't like what I was hearing, as with these. And yes, that is always possible, we'll have to wait and see :)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #13,577 of 39,414
As I mentioned some time ago, I'll be bringing new kinds of content to my corner of the street at THL. You've all seen An Inner View, but I'm now proud to unveil my very first headphone review: A 5000-word essay on MrSpeakers' outstanding ETHER 2 - one of the most uncoloured, unadulterated yet musical headphones reference-grade has ever seen. This one was an absolute blast to write and I hope y'all find it worthwhile to read as well. Without further adieu, here's the ETHER 2!

Very nice review Vin Deezel! Nice enough that posters in the ETHER 2 thread want you to take over Tyll's previous reviewer position. Hard to beat that complement.

Now having a hard time getting ETHER2 pairing with the R4 out of my mind. Previously AFC + R4 + E4UA adaptor occupied that space.

ok.png

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #13,578 of 39,414
Thanks so much as always for your support on the new review, guys - always means a lot! :D

Hours, and hours, and hours of Photoshop. :p

Well, to each their own. The review reached 5,000 words mostly because of the technologies I had to describe and the Synergy section. It's something I've never included with my IEM reviews, but I felt it mattered exponentially more when it came to headphones. The Sound section isn't much longer than usual, except for the two paragraphs I added in Presentation - again, because I felt it was necessary. As a professional, the ETHER 2 is a headphone I've waited for for a long time. As soon as I heard my own recordings on them, I knew that I was in for something outstanding - again, not in terms of sheer wow factor or flash, but how it performed without those crutches. Have no fear, I'll be doing more headphone reviews in the future. Hopefully you'll find one of those worth your time. :)
Deezel, regardless of word count, you are an excellent writer. I thoroughly enjoy reading your reviews. They are informative and illuminating even if I have a marginal interest in the product. Still learning a lot about this hobby so your elequent insights are a vital component in my research and eventual investment in audiophile technology.

Jan 4, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #13,579 of 39,414
What does it mean when a balanced armature starts making clicking noises? did I just **** myself?

edit: nevermind, it was the coating from the connector of my cable eroding off :'(

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #13,580 of 39,414
Very nice review Vin Deezel! Nice enough that posters in the ETHER 2 thread want you to take over Tyll's previous reviewer position. Hard to beat that complement.

Now having a hard time getting ETHER2 pairing with the R4 out of my mind. Previously AFC + R4 + E4UA adaptor occupied that space.

Thanks so much, man! Tyll is royalty and I could never replace him or his sensibilities. I love where I'm at and I love where I'm going. :)

Deezel, regardless of word count, you are an excellent writer. I thoroughly enjoy reading your reviews. They are informative and illuminating even if I have a marginal interest in the product. Still learning a lot about this hobby so your elequent insights are a vital component in my research and eventual investment in audiophile technology.

Much appreciated, my friend! Words like these are what keep me going. Look out for more content from me soon! :D

Jan 4, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #13,581 of 39,414
Thanks so much, man! Tyll is royalty and I could never replace him or his sensibilities.

It's not so much about replacing Tyll as it's more the person that replaced Tyll is not meeting the needs of the community. I guess there are some looking for someone to fill that void.

Anyways, really glad Nic seems to have found his soulm8 in the Layla. I knew they have been dating for a while, but didn't know how serious it was until the recent review. That along with your positive impressions of the Layla makes it something to seriously consider.

It looks quite nice. Too bad it's an additional $500 to achieve this similar niceness.

NicLayla-2-1024x683.jpg

Jan 4, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #13,582 of 39,414
It's not so much about replacing Tyll as it's more the person that replaced Tyll is not meeting the needs of the community. I guess there are some looking for someone to fill that void.

Anyways, really glad Nic seems to have found his soulm8 in the Layla. I knew they have been dating for a while, but didn't know how serious it was until the recent review. That along with your positive impressions of the Layla makes it something to seriously consider.

It looks quite nice. Too bad it's an additional $500 to achieve this similar niceness.

Well, that's a shame. As an engineer, I personally love InnerFidelity for Bob Katz's Katz Corners just as much as I love it for Tyll, so I still have my fix. Obviously, those who mostly go on there for Tyll's content will feel a missing piece. The Layla is a stunner indeed, but it caters to tighter sensibilities. It isn't as easy to love as more fun, mainstream offerings in tone and energy, even though it's an outstanding technical performer. Going off of your analogy, Layla is very much a more mature, laid-back, long-term partner than a fun, happy-go-lucky fling - one you tend to appreciate more when they're gone than when they're there.

JH's new designs are wonderful indeed. I spoke to several of their dealers in Singapore and agreed that they're really going for the jugular as far as companies like Noble are concerned; who rely mostly on cosmetics nowadays. We'll see how the Khan fares soon. The full-wood designs are understandably pricey 'cus they takes tons of effort to not only CNC the material, but to hollow it out evenly for the internals as well. As Nic mentioned in his review, purchasing a high-end IEM from them will also apparently include a Skype call to discuss design, so I'm sure less pricey designs that look just as good aren't out of the question once you get your ideas across to them.

Jan 4, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #13,583 of 39,414
I'm old school so Layla is inline with my purchasing choices. We are all at different stages in this hobby. I'm near the end so looking for stable products not FOTM.

As the end is near in this hobby, I start reminiscing as more and more old school websites related to this hobby going down for the count. Mysticriver.net gone. AnythingbutiPod I think went down recently...

I have my eye set on the Camouflage model. There is a Los Angeles Satellite JH Audio Office where one can get impressions done and I'm assuming check out designs. I feel more comfortable with a Satellite Office nearby in case of fit issues.

Anyways, keep up the good work. Don't worry about the PEAR SH-3 demo, will focus on Layla.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #13,584 of 39,414
I'm old school so Layla is inline with my purchasing choices. We are all at different stages in this hobby. I'm near the end so looking for stable products not FOTM.

More and more old school websites going down for the count. Mysticriver.net gone. AnythingbutiPod I think went down recently...

I have my eye set on the Camouflage model. There is a Los Angeles Satellite JH Audio Office where one can get impressions done and I'm assuming check out designs. I feel more comfortable with a Satellite Office nearby in case of fit issues.

Anyways, keep up the good work. Don't worry about the PEAR SH-3 demo, will focus on Layla.

Thanks! I forgot to respond to your PEAR message earlier, so I'll do so now. I actually contacted PEAR about an SH-3 review several months ago, but received no response. I'll give it another go and see if they're interested. :)

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #13,585 of 39,414
Hey guys, I just created a discussion and impressions thread for FAudio - an in-ear monitor manufacturer based in Hong Kong. I personally think their customs are among the most gorgeous I've seen, and their universal Major is undoubtedly one of my favourite IEMs of 2018. Go have a look, subscribe and look out for more content on them soon. Cheers! :D https://www.head-fi.org/threads/faudio-discussion-and-impressions-thread.896901/

Jan 4, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #13,586 of 39,414
You can request cables without the bass pot, but the bass would permanently be set to full-whack. Double Helix Cables offers an option where you could specify what level you want the bass to be permanently set at. Once you specify the setting (whether it be 12 o' clock, 2 o' clock, etc.), they apply resistors to the plug to simulate the bass pot in that setting. If I remember correctly, they're tiny, so they won't add any bulk. Personally, I'd recommend getting the cable with a bass pot. The bulk it adds is surprisingly inconsequential.

The Double Helix Cables website has details one can point to for their respective cable maker.

https://doublehelixcables.com/product/eidolic-4-pin-sirens-series-jh-connectors-for-layla-and-more/

ptf.png

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/71-PTF5650R000BZEK?r=71-PTF5650R000BZEK

Mouser is an awesome electronics site (Berkshire Hathaway company [Warren Buffet]), but their photos suck.

This is for 6/8 wire. 4-wire is another resistor. If the cable maker has no experience with the 4-pin and resistor, it's probably not recommended. But at least you can get an idea of what it takes without the bass pot dial thingy.

I had to go through this mess a long time ago because Nic planted the Layla seed.... Damn You Nic!!!

In the end, I'm just going to go the e4ua adaptor route w/ bass pot dial if I go JH Audio. I'm also going e4ua adaptor route if I get into headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #13,587 of 39,414
@AC-12
Thanks for the heads up, sadly as a Canadian on the wrong side of a trade war, high currency exchange rates and noticed by the CRA, I'll be looking to buy from dealers here since I wont have to sell my kidneys.

Can't you just send to a USA address or use a Broker? Of course it has to be justifiable. 15% discount ($400) + free shipping + duty saved - petrol - possible hotel - pickup charge. If you bring across border, you can just throw in your bag so it doesn't look out of place and not declare.

old video left coast

https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/top-10-cross-border-shopping-tips-for-canadians

Jan 4, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #13,588 of 39,414
Can't you just send to a USA address or use a Broker? Of course it has to be justifiable. 15% discount ($400) + free shipping + duty saved - petrol - possible hotel - pickup charge. If you bring across border, you can just throw in your bag so it doesn't look out of place and not declare.

old video left coast

https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/top-10-cross-border-shopping-tips-for-canadians

Maybe in the days when the rate was 1.15 as oppose to the 1.35 nowadays. For me at least its pretty much the same, either way I do it, might as well save myself 4 hours round trip and customs and instead wait for a courier at home.

Jan 4, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #13,589 of 39,414
The Double Helix Cables website has details one can point to for their respective cable maker.

https://doublehelixcables.com/product/eidolic-4-pin-sirens-series-jh-connectors-for-layla-and-more/

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/71-PTF5650R000BZEK?r=71-PTF5650R000BZEK

Mouser is an awesome electronics site (Berkshire Hathaway company [Warren Buffet]), but their photos suck.

This is for 6/8 wire. 4-wire is another resistor. If the cable maker has no experience with the 4-pin and resistor, it's probably not recommended. But at least you can get an idea of what it takes without the bass pot dial thingy.

I had to go through this mess a long time ago because Nic planted the Layla seed.... Damn You Nic!!!

In the end, I'm just going to go the e4ua adaptor route w/ bass pot dial if I go JH Audio. I'm also going e4ua adaptor route if I get into headphones.
Much appreciated, sounds like a pain to work around removing the bass pot.

Interesting decision on their part to jack the bass up and instead use the pot to bring it down to neutral. I might not even like the neutral bass in this case.

Whelp I'll save myself a couple hundred and get the Phantom then.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #13,590 of 39,414
Much appreciated, sounds like a pain to work around removing the bass pot.

Interesting decision on their part to jack the bass up and instead use the pot to bring it down to neutral. I might even like the neutral bass in this case.

Whelp I'll save myself a couple hundred and get the Phantom then.

It actually makes a ton more sense to get as much volume as possible whilst maintaining quality, then bringing it down via attenuation. You get a lot more headroom that way. You’re guaranteed high-quality bass when pumped loud, meaning it’ll retain that quality at low volumes. If you achieve high quality at low volumes, you can never be sure whether or not that bass will distort, or bloom, or loosen up, etc. when pumped loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back