flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 5, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #6,601 of 39,414
Someone here bought the demo...lol

They offered to let me keep it until the new stocks arrived, but I said no. Getting a brand new unit is but a small factor; I was mainly concerned about having it distract me while I wrote my other reviews. :D

Dec 5, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #6,602 of 39,414
Ah cool, are we doing pics of new iems?

The irony is that the last IEMs I bought were actually for my wife. I only got to try them briefly before they were confiscated, but they sounded really nice for the price. Although not quite as tiny as those posted by Mim and Jackpot, nor quite as expensive as the ones you posted. But at least I got some spare tips out of it! :D
IMG_1143.JPG

Dec 5, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #6,603 of 39,414
They offered to let me keep it until the new stocks arrived, but I said no. Getting a brand new unit is but a small factor; I was mainly concerned about having it distract me while I wrote my other reviews. :D
:blush:

Dec 5, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #6,604 of 39,414
Anyone (@Deezel177 ? :ksc75smile:) know of a tentative release date for the new Empire Ears offerings? Specifically the one similar to Zeus XIV + (or with) bass?

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #6,605 of 39,414
Link to background info pls?
I got some interesting info in an email, but not sure I can repost yet. Here is some basic stuff about planars if it helps:
https://www.audeze.com/planar-magnetic-technology
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/how-planar-magnetic-headphones-work
Nice, really interested to read your impression, are you going to do a full review?
Yep. Btw, do you and @junix use EQ?
The irony is that the last IEMs I bought were actually for my wife. I only got to try them briefly before they were confiscated, but they sounded really nice for the price. Although not quite as tiny as those posted by Mim and Jackpot, nor quite as expensive as the ones you posted. But at least I got some spare tips out of it! :D
Score!! Or as we would say, "alle kleine beetjes helpen" :D

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #6,606 of 39,414
Dec 5, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #6,607 of 39,414
tumblr_m4jztb6k031rwm1lmo1_500.gif

Dutch language is amusing to me. :D Btw, congrats on getting your i4 Nic! How's your brief impression so far? Personally I find planar phones sounding a bit peculiar. Come to think about it, is this your first planar earphone?

Nice. Those FA tips are really good. You should use it as your primary, rather than spare IMO. Use it often for now, because you won't be needing them for VE5, or Prelude, hehe.

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #6,608 of 39,414
Dec 5, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #6,609 of 39,414
Anyone (@Deezel177 ? :ksc75smile:) know of a tentative release date for the new Empire Ears offerings? Specifically the one similar to Zeus XIV + (or with) bass?

Unfortunately, not. They tease me just as much as they tease everyone else. :D

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #6,610 of 39,414
Dutch language is amusing to me. :D Btw, congrats on getting your i4 Nic! How's your brief impression so far? Personally I find planar phones sounding a bit peculiar. Come to think about it, is this your first planar earphone?

Nice. Those FA tips are really good. You should use it as your primary, rather than spare IMO. Use it often for now, because you won't be needing them for VE5, or Prelude, hehe.
I only listened for a half hour when they arrived this morning before I went to work, then I made the mistake of walking to work with them. Forgot that streets tend to be noisy, since I always have ciems in :D

To be honest I need some time with them. They are very special, a unique ethereal sound due to the very quick treble, and excellent extension. Plus, there is a lot of quality in the bass; impactful, but very airy. But they are also very different from regular iems due to their open back nature. Iems produce a relatively small sound, but it is highly focused and precise. The i4 have a magnificent stage, but the imaging is different than what I am used to. So there is some funkyness going on that I still need to wrap my head around, it is a very different type of presentation that needs some brain burn :)

Agree on the Final tips, work very nicely. They were handing them out at Canjam London so I stumbled on them by chance, kinda similar to the Ortofon tips.

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #6,611 of 39,414
But in all seriousness I doubt anybody but Audeze can mod these, I read up on some background info and it is pretty complicated stuff hehe.

Actually there are a couple of mods for the i4. Here is EagleWing's OCD mod to help prevent the units from scratching:

IMG_2702.JPG

And then there is the Dynamo Mod. I hear that it takes the i4 to another level: Dynamo Mod

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #6,613 of 39,414
Actually there are a couple of mods for the i4. Here is EagleWing's OCD mod to help prevent the units from scratching:

That actually looks better than my i4.
And then there is the Dynamo Mod. I hear that it takes the i4 to another level: Dynamo Mod
Is this how they rick-roll people in India? Always great to learn about new cultures.
@flinkenick : Which Final tips do you like most? I own Type E.
Um the clear see-through ones? :) I don't know if the package had a name, I think I looked it up and it was maybe Type E(?) Or could be C..

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #6,615 of 39,414
I convinced my wife to write a review of them, but I ended up opting against posting it in the review section. I will quote in full:
"I can't hear a difference compared to those other ears I had been using before, but I like the colour better!"
tumblr_m4jztb6k031rwm1lmo1_500.gif

Dutch language is amusing to me. :D
If we ever meet in real life I will get you to pronounce "dubbeltje", that always goes well with people who do not speak Dutch. :D
Oh, but I use Final tips as my primary. I got some a while back and love them for my Ei.3! The "spare" ones are for whatever new IEMs I end up with (unless CIEMs).
@ranfan , @Wyville and I think that the Aeon Open would complement your PS2000e and RS2e
Yes, absolutely!

Hey at @EagleWings, high five!
Hkw5SLn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back