flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 2, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #5,791 of 39,414
Top IEMs I want to review:

VE8
SE5U (make a freakin demo already)
U12t

Hmm - this looks like a fun game! :wink:

Top 5 IEMs on my hitlist I'd like to spend some time with for review/general listening purposes (disclaimer - not all are flagships):

Rhapsodio Infinity (because... 20 drivers?!)
Lime Ears Model X
64 Audio U12t (loving the tone on the U8 at the moment)
The new EE models
LZ-A5

What's on everyone else's radar at the moment?

Edit - obviously wouldn't mind hearing the VE8 at some point, too, given how everyone seems to suggest they are their desert island TOTL pick...

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #5,792 of 39,414
Hmm - this looks like a fun game! :wink:

Top 5 IEMs on my hitlist I'd like to spend some time with for review/general listening purposes (disclaimer - not all are flagships):

Rhapsodio Infinity (because... 20 drivers?!)
Lime Ears Model X
64 Audio U12t (loving the tone on the U8 at the moment)
The new EE models
LZ-A5

What's on everyone else's radar at the moment?

Edit - obviously wouldn't mind hearing the VE8 at some point, too, given how everyone seems to suggest they are their desert island TOTL pick...

The U8 is such an underrated bass-head IEM. It is probably the most sophisticated and mature of its kind. I personally can't wait for a U8Tzar; that'd be a definite front-runner on my To-Buy list. :D

Nov 2, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #5,794 of 39,414
@Wyville Thanks Erik. Very nice observations and thanks for sharing your thoughts.. Like you pointed out to @fuhransahis , it seems like our life experiences and exposures also influence our definition of accurate timbre. And we all seem to take slightly different approach to identify timbre in gear. And as Nic rightly pointed out, an IEM with accurate timbre doesn't necessarily mean it has accurate timbre across all instruments. For example, I mentioned Zeus-XIV is the most accurate I have heard in an IEM. But it is not the ideal IEM I would use or recommend for classical though. But it works great for rock and vocals. The Zeus-R on the other hand, works better for classical with respect to its tuning and presentation.

Btw, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the VE line-up too.. It was a great read.. I am glad you found an IEM that perfectly lines up with your priorities..

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #5,795 of 39,414
From what I can recall, the Katana's lean bass and picky-as-hell treble will absolutely ruin synthetic music. Heck, my jazz collection could barely get through the thing in one piece. :D

Ah, see, some say the bass is great, some say not. I must hear it for myself to know. :)

Since he loves the dynamic driver bass (who doesn't? :wink: ) Then maybe he'd prefer the AAW900.

Of course, there may be something in the new EE lineup that could slake his want.

Nov 2, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #5,796 of 39,414
Ah, see, some say the bass is great, some say not. I must hear it for myself to know. :)

Since he loves the dynamic driver bass (who doesn't? :wink: ) Then maybe he'd prefer the AAW900.

Of course, there may be something in the new EE lineup that could slake his want.

The EE prototypes are a great call, but I still can't recommend the AAW W900 simply because of it's terribly incoherent treble. Maybe AAW's new AXH could be the one to bridge the gap... :wink:

Nov 2, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #5,797 of 39,414

I had the AAW900 for a week and honestly I liked the U8 over it. Not sure if it's because the nozzle wasn't long enough and I had an OK fit, but the U8's is very underrated and it's bass while not like a dynamic, was the closest I've heard to dynamic for BA IEM.

Nov 2, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #5,798 of 39,414
@Wyville Nice 'brief' impression there! :D Thank you very much for writing, and sharing with us. I think you may have just found your 'one'. Now, if only VE can accept a universal pair order with puppy credit. Or at least, a semi-custom model, haha. The same goes for Warbler. Since the Prelude I think matches very well to your sound preference.

Nov 2, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #5,799 of 39,414
I had the AAW900 for a week and honestly I liked the U8 over it. Not sure if it's because the nozzle wasn't long enough and I had an OK fit, but the U8's is very underrated and it's bass while not like a dynamic, was the closest I've heard to dynamic for BA IEM.

I agree. The U12 for me is the closest to DD that any BA I've heard. I bet the U8 is the same.

Nov 2, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #5,800 of 39,414
@Wyville Nice 'brief' impression there! :D Thank you very much for writing, and sharing with us. I think you may have just found your 'one'. Now, if only VE can accept a universal pair order with puppy credit. Or at least, a semi-custom model, haha. The same goes for Warbler. Since the Prelude I think matches very well to your sound preference.

I believe VE can make you a universal pair if you ask very nicely. Warbler - on the other hand - is apparently bound by physical constraints.

Nov 2, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #5,801 of 39,414
The EE prototypes are a great call, but I still can't recommend the AAW W900 simply because of it's terribly incoherent treble. Maybe AAW's new AXH could be the one to bridge the gap... :wink:
If the new upcoming EE model is anything like the Spartan, I'd be very interested in giving it a try (or putting it in my wishlist). It could be the best value IEM in this high-end territory. Best bang-for-the-buck for @Kenneth Galang.

By the way Deezel, have you tried the SE5U recently? It seems from your post a while before that you had. I wonder what you think of it compared to Prelude. Also, I'm also curious to know if the Samba sounds good for female vocals. Do you happen to know? :)

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #5,802 of 39,414
I believe VE can make you a universal pair if you ask very nicely. Warbler - on the other hand - is apparently bound by physical constraints.
Something like this would be nice. :thumbsup: It's a semi-custom model.

17077123_270157713423700_7975949139928154112_n.jpg

Nov 2, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #5,803 of 39,414
The Dream on the other hand, is the closest dynamic driver I've heard to have a speed like a BA. It's crazy tight, and powerful. :D

c98ac579475b13f397f86431445212d5.gif

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #5,804 of 39,414
If the new upcoming EE model is anything like the Spartan, I'd be very interested in giving it a try (or putting it in my wishlist). It could be the best value IEM in this high-end territory. Best bang-for-the-buck for @Kenneth Galang.

By the way Deezel, have you tried the SE5U recently? It seems from your post a while before that you had. I wonder what you think of it compared to Prelude. Also, I'm also curious to know if the Samba sounds good for female vocals. Do you happen to know? :)

Based on the last time I tried either prototype, they're unfortunately not in the same vein as the Spartan-IV. They both veer off neutral in different ways; the Proto-X is more natural, visceral and expansive, while the Proto-H is more lively, energetic and dynamic. I still haven't had the opportunity to audition the SE5U. My previous comments regarding its lack of versatility were based off of conversations I've had with owners of the SE5U. They all agreed that genres which require speed, liveliness and energy (such as speedy rock, metal, EDM, etc.) would not fare well on the SE5U. Knowing your preferences, the Samba would indeed be great for your collection of female vocals. It's an IEM that prioritises upper-mid energy above lower-midrange heft, so there would be no need to apply that curve of yours anymore. :wink:

Something like this would be nice. :thumbsup: It's a semi-custom model.

17077123_270157713423700_7975949139928154112_n.jpg

Honestly dude, since CanJam 2017, I haven't seen anyone demo nor purchase nor wear a single one of these. I still don't know what semi-custom fit means to this day. :D

Nov 2, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #5,805 of 39,414
Sigh, I remember in the dark ages (maybe 2 years ago), the Shure 860 was the TOTL iem to aspire to, with an exorbitant price...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back