flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 28, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #27,064 of 39,414
For anyone interested, the second instalment of my Masters of Classical Music series is up: MoCM FiR Audio M4
IMAGE_04.JPG

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #27,065 of 39,414
For anyone interested, the second instalment of my Masters of Classical Music series is up: MoCM FiR Audio M4
IMAGE_04.JPG

you should do a blog , name it something like dogs on classical

just put random barney pics with your reviews

success guaranteed.

Jan 28, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #27,066 of 39,414
you should do a blog , name it something like dogs on classical

just put random barney pics with your reviews

success guaranteed.
Great idea! :grin: Barnie actually does like classical. I used it early on to help him calm down and settle in his new home and now he seems to relax whenever I put it on. Sadly it was not enough to convince my wife we needed a high-end set of speakers. :sweat_smile:

When I did my Topping E30/L30 review, I was able to sneak Barnie in there...
IMAGE_11.JPG

Jan 28, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #27,067 of 39,414
Hi
Im new to iem
I just tried my friends shure 846 and i love the sound from it
Bass particularly is punchy but not boomy
The mid is quite thick as i like it
The only complaint i have is the treeble a little bit lacking for my preference.

but the main thing is that i never considered an iem because i never feel comfortable with those rubber/silicone/foam tips sticking inside my ear
I’m very prone to stereophonic.

anyway im really interested to get an iem
My budget is around $1000

like i told you i like the sound signature of the 846
But i welcome a bit more detail treeble.

i think i’m gonna get a custom iem
To eliminate the “stuffy” ear feeling and stereophonic.

can anyone suggest which custom iem that has similar signature as the 846 ? Especially in the low and mid ?

thank you so much

Jan 28, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #27,068 of 39,414
Great idea! :grin: Barnie actually does like classical. I used it early on to help him calm down and settle in his new home and now he seems to relax whenever I put it on. Sadly it was not enough to convince my wife we needed a high-end set of speakers. :sweat_smile:

When I did my Topping E30/L30 review, I was able to sneak Barnie in there...
IMAGE_11.JPG
[/QUOTE

Dogs have quite sensitive ears, Barnie needs an extended smooth treble, that only a sophisticated system can deliver.

Jan 28, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #27,069 of 39,414
Dogs have quite sensitive ears, Barnie needs an extended smooth treble, that only a sophisticated system can deliver.
Yeah, I know. He currently listens to classical music using the speakers from our ageing TV. Most unacceptable! I will have a serious conversation with my wife about the welfare of our boy. :sweat_smile:

Jan 28, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #27,070 of 39,414
Hi
Im new to iem
I just tried my friends shure 846 and i love the sound from it
Bass particularly is punchy but not boomy
The mid is quite thick as i like it
The only complaint i have is the treeble a little bit lacking for my preference.

but the main thing is that i never considered an iem because i never feel comfortable with those rubber/silicone/foam tips sticking inside my ear
I’m very prone to stereophonic.

anyway im really interested to get an iem
My budget is around $1000

like i told you i like the sound signature of the 846
But i welcome a bit more detail treeble.

i think i’m gonna get a custom iem
To eliminate the “stuffy” ear feeling and stereophonic.

can anyone suggest which custom iem that has similar signature as the 846 ? Especially in the low and mid ?

thank you so much

welcome to headfi , sorry for your wallet :)

seeing you are new here , and if you live say in USA where post is very easy/safe, you may wanna try out some universal iems from the FS thread , bargain appearing there every day

that way you can refine your taste and really nail your needs , as 846 seems to me a mediocre iem and you can buy much better stuff for 1000$ nowdays

customs are a big investment , with low resale value so you are bound to get a big hit if you buy something off other people's recs and end up not liking it/want to sell it

i would probably try some iems in universal and yu can alwys resell them here at zero/minimum loss , that way you will get a better understanding of your wants/needs

just my 2 cents , your money your ears your choice :)

Jan 28, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #27,071 of 39,414
Jan 28, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #27,072 of 39,414
I have little experience with high-end IEMs but I've heard the 2020 and OG versions of the Andromeda. The 2020 will fix the mids and highs for you, as @tawmizzzz pointed out, but it won't do much, if anything for the bass. Are you using as a source the Shanling MO you have listed in your signature? If so, it might make the 2020 overly dark - its stated output impedance is 0.16 ohm (scroll down for the specs here); both Andros are sensitive to variations in output impedance; below an ohm you'll get the bassiest but also the darkest presentation. Having said that, I found the 2020 to present no less spacious a soundstage than the OG.

When you wrote that you "couldn't handle the upper mids and highs of Solaris" were you referring to the original or the 2020 version? From brief auditions and memory, I found the original to be less bright, but I'll defer to others here about that.
This is exactly what happened when I paired andro with m0! I have never experienced sound of a iem changing so radically so much! Mirage only improved with m0, did not degrade like andromeda! Andro turned into a bass cannon, like Shozy Pentacle! It was unreal!

Jan 29, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #27,073 of 39,414
Hey guys, I posted this in the 64 Audio thread but thought it might be of interest to anyone here (who may not be cross-subscribed to that thread). My 64 Audio Shootout - pitting Nio, Trio, Fourte and Noir against each other in one epic review - is now online here. Hope you find it useful!

64AudioShootout_Cover copy.jpg

Jan 29, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #27,074 of 39,414
Hey guys, I posted this in the 64 Audio thread but thought it might be of interest to anyone here (who may not be cross-subscribed to that thread). My 64 Audio Shootout - pitting Nio, Trio, Fourte and Noir against each other in one epic review - is now online here. Hope you find it useful!

64AudioShootout_Cover copy.jpg
Beautiful picture!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back