flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 22, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #25,366 of 39,414
Pics are amazing as usual, look forward to the read :)
Getting a macro lens soon for the 12 Pro Max... still not re-investing into DLSRs but the itch is growing...
Had no idea this is a thing but it’s exactly what I’ve been looking for - didn’t want to get into proper photography, and the convenience of a lens like this sounds really appealing. Just ordered one from Moment

Nov 22, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #25,367 of 39,414
Thanks so much for your comments, guys! After a whole month of photographing FiR's ultra-smooth, unreflective, matte-finished IEMs, going back to glossy, mirror-like lacquer was a harsh, harsh reality check for me. :D But, in the end, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, and I'm glad you are too. :) One note I'd make about IEMs and macro lenses: Dust. So. Much. Dust. If you plan to go 80-100mm, be ready to get pretty thorough with a microfibre cloth or very creative with Photoshop's Clone Stamp tool. The devil, as they say, is in the details. :wink:

Hats off to you Daniel! I’m just too lazy nowadays to post-pro the dust :smiley: (unless it’s a dirty spot on the sensor). Amazing pics to capture the rainbow color of the bifrost faceplate!

Nov 22, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #25,368 of 39,414
Pics are amazing as usual, look forward to the read :)
Getting a macro lens soon for the 12 Pro Max... still not re-investing into DLSRs but the itch is growing...

Don”t invest into a DSLR, mirrorless are taking over David :wink:

Nov 22, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #25,369 of 39,414
Hats off to you Daniel! I’m just too lazy nowadays to post-pro the dust :smiley: (unless it’s a dirty spot on the sensor). Amazing pics to capture the rainbow color of the bifrost faceplate!

Cheers, man! Funnily enough, I started out not noticing at all, before progressively becoming more and more stringent about blotting every single one of them out. My girlfriend regularly laughs at how much I have to zoom into the image to get at them all, but such is the price of obsessi... I mean, perfection. :wink:

Don”t invest into a DSLR, mirrorless are taking over David :wink:

I'm still partial to that classic DSLR shutter, though. I get frustrated every time my dad changes it back to Silent Shooting for church work. And, the analog viewfinder is a must for me as well. With that said, I have been intentionally ignorant towards the mirrorless landscape. I'm sure they've got alternatives (or even fully-integrated) the features I'm looking for. I'd just rather not have an excuse to get an all-new camera. :D

Nov 23, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #25,370 of 39,414
I'm still partial to that classic DSLR shutter, though. I get frustrated every time my dad changes it back to Silent Shooting for church work. And, the analog viewfinder is a must for me as well. With that said, I have been intentionally ignorant towards the mirrorless landscape. I'm sure they've got alternatives (or even fully-integrated) the features I'm looking for. I'd just rather not have an excuse to get an all-new camera. :D
Yes, excellent photography as always. Dust on IEMs really is a pain to try and get rid of.

Funny, I personally am happy to get rid of the mirror slap sound. There’s something about the sound of the mirror in the absence of the film winder sound that annoys me :smile:. I like most mirrorless shutter sounds more. I also now can’t stand the optical viewfinder, as I hate taking eye level shots, and am too lazy and old to go crawling on my stomach or standing on furniture to get the right angles.

Nov 23, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #25,371 of 39,414
I'm still partial to that classic DSLR shutter, though.

This is still one of the reasons why I still love DSLRs lol

The mirror slap on my Hasselblad H5D system before was just something else lol
And I do miss it.

I’m still thinking of a camera to replace it tbh. But since I haven’t been getting any bookings recently due to COVID.
I’m just going nuts with this hobby of ours for now 😂

Nov 23, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #25,372 of 39,414
Don't see what all the fuss is about with these endless glamour shoots of IEMs. They are supposed to be in your filthy lugholes playing music, not polished to within an inch of their lives and draped seductively over rose petals on satin sheets.

Fiio are the absolute masters at this - why just have a couple of promo pics of your new product when you can have 738,000?

Nov 23, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #25,373 of 39,414
Don't see what all the fuss is about with these endless glamour shoots of IEMs. They are supposed to be in your filthy lugholes playing music, not polished to within an inch of their lives and draped seductively over rose petals on satin sheets.

Fiio are the absolute masters at this - why just have a couple of promo pics of your new product when you can have 738,000?
Pride of ownership and aesthetics are in my personal priority list. I wouldn't buy an ugly IEMs regardless of what it sounds like. This is doubly important for headphones and even source gear. Then again I am a photographer and love beautiful design, so there's that. May not matter as much to engineers or bean counters. To each his own though.

Nov 23, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #25,374 of 39,414
Pride of ownership and aesthetics are in my personal priority list. I wouldn't buy an ugly IEMs regardless of what it sounds like. This is doubly important for headphones and even source gear. Then again I am a photographer and love beautiful design, so there's that. May not matter as much to engineers or bean counters. To each his own though.

Form over function eh. Interesting.

Nov 23, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #25,376 of 39,414
Wow I'm not alone!

Considering the prices of IEMs, I absolutely expect a complete product that I enjoy owning and looking at

Nov 23, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #25,377 of 39,414

I agree with this with the important qualification that l would buy an ugly (imo at least) IEM if it sounded great (hell, my CFA Solaris 2020 is just meh looking to me) although that would somewhat detract from my overall enjoyment of the product.

However, yes, some of these images are excessive in both number and choice of setting imo (IEMs dangling in trees for instance), but that doesn't really bother me, it's just not my thing.

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #25,378 of 39,414
I second this.

I'm a photographer as well, and I am also very into design and aesthetics.

If an IEM sounds good as much as it looks good... It'll be in my collection. (IER-Z1R...bae, I'm looking at you :wink: )

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #25,379 of 39,414
I second this.

I'm a photographer as well, and I am also very into design and aesthetics.

If an IEM sounds good as much as it looks good... It'll be in my collection. (IER-Z1R...bae, I'm looking at you :wink: )

Mirror these thoughts. Why do you have beautiful designs and associated glamour shots of timepieces? When they....sit on your arm and tell you the time. And ditto a luxurious or ultra fast cars that.....get you to the shops and back or get you from 0-100kph in 2.5s on a track the two times a year they're taken for a spin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back