flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Sep 20, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #24,046 of 39,419
Oh, great, all you guys with your cute doggie pictures... Hmm, how do I join the fun? Hang on... meet our Rex :D (and you should see the look both of my kids just gave me when I took this picture):

1600620038057.png

Sep 20, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #24,047 of 39,419
Need to rename the thread to “General high-end portable audio and cute doggie discussion” or maybe “IEMs and Dogs, what more do you want?”

Sep 20, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #24,048 of 39,419
Had to join the fun. Meet Charlie!
FB15F26B-D2CD-4E56-81D5-03CD7C86DE46.jpeg

Sep 20, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #24,050 of 39,419
I don't know what's weirder, that we all think spending thousands of dollars on in-ears is perfectly sane, or that we all have dogs? (Well most of us anyway, on both counts).
Definitely the IEM thing! At least where I am, pet dogs are everywhere nowadays, yet most people haven‘t really explored beyond the ear buds that came with their phone. Maybe they got a pair of bluetooth IEMs on sale.

Sep 20, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #24,051 of 39,419
VE makes good stuff! I agree that it’s mainly the price-to-performance that leaves me underwhelmed every time I hear their stuff. Good to see you like the VE8; frankly, I think that’s the best in their lineup. Despite the treble roll-off and very warm timbre, it’s incredibly technical; just a very solid IEM overall. Killer for male vocals imo. I was a bit meh on the Elysium, although it’s a decent IEM too. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on that one :)
Exactly! In the vacuum of price, VE would be a no brainer sheerly in the technicality and slight musicality alone. With the price factors in, it becomes a bit underwhelming.

Elysium impressions incoming!

Sep 20, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #24,052 of 39,419
Exactly! In the vacuum of price, VE would be a no brainer sheerly in the technicality and slight musicality alone. With the price factors in, it becomes a bit underwhelming.

Elysium impressions incoming!
I agree they are expensive, but on some of their IEM’s the timbre is just superior to everyone else. And I think they know it.

Sep 20, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #24,053 of 39,419
Alright, skipping the preamble because I've already waxed about losing my VE cherry and there's not need to rehash that for the Elysium impressions.

VE Flagship Pt2: Electric Boogaloo Elysian Fields? (Or Elysium)

The Elysium has excellent faceplates, but perhaps that's more on VE's part on designing such pretty things, but I digress as usual. So the shell itself is pretty interesting, flatter than the VE8 and much wider too, though still pretty small for a 6 driver tribrid setup. Chonky nozzles (yay !), but angled nozzles (oh no). I actually found the Elysium being uncomfortable for my earlets, definitely pushing out a bit on all sides to make it uncomfortable after a long listening session. Plus I could actually hear my the sound of silicone tips and my canals rubbing against one another as my left eat slowly forced the nozzle out. Despite the relatively deep stem, the angle really didn't cooperate and I got a similar fit as with the u12t on my left ear, of course it's much lighter and just stayed in that spot. Man I was told that the Elysian fields was paradise, but it feels like a mixed bag out of the gate. Perhaps Valhalla might be a better fit....Nah, I'll give more time. I found that the Elysium took a bit of power to drive, used it with the HFS Silver off the 4.4 on my 1A with high gain on 55.

Onto impressions!

Bass is a bit pulled back similar to the VE8 in the overall signature, but midbass slam and impact is much more present than on the VE8. This doesn't mask the sub bass at all. Which has good extension. Still neutral overall with a slight mid bass bias which I would have liked in the VE8 regardless of the cable.There's not bleed of course makes me a very happy boy, somehow kilobucks still manage to bleed these days.Good for some laid back listening in the evenings or a quiet stroll, definitely not for the commute though. Some excitement in Greek paradise would be nice though....

But Kuro, you haven't talked about the mids, that's suppose to be the highlight of the Elysium!

A disclaimer that this the only double DD mid design iem I've listened to (Lola is on my try list) so I could be listening to the standard for double DDs and completely missing that.(pls don't shoot me if my mids disagree).

To be honest, I was super hyped about the mids after listening to the DMagic and...I end up a tad bit disappointed (which is an understatement) with what I heard. Elysium is able to make vocals the centerpiece of the signature without having to put them overly forward.Slight forward of neutral is where I put it. It does this in a way where it stands out compared to the other frequencies but maintains an overall neutral signature. In a way feels like a more technical version of the EE Athena, albeit at double the price brand new. I was expecting some more musicality and some more excitement in the mids.

Not much to say for the treble. The standard smooth and no sibiliance, a tad too safe and neutral. But it seems that most estats treble aim for that. I'm not sure if this is good or bad overall. But I much rather have that than peaky treble that hurts my ears.Extensions is pretty good. Maybe my favourite part of the signature when I look back even though there was less shimmer and air that I'd like which is a bit...worrying.

I stayed the course, walking through the entirety of the Elysian fields even with a mixed impression in the beginning.It really isn't the one for me. Overall the Elysium (like the VE8) leans more on it's technical chops, and I screamed loud enough about the timbre for the VE8, but Ely does it too (Post edit as I was reminded by @Frankie D ). And if my preference and ranking was based on pure technicality, they'd be taking Top 5 ranks and my recommendation without question. I wouldn't question VE's technical chops after hearing 2 flagships, but given the price the signatures end up being underwhelming, but enough to warrant somewhere in the 6-10 spots of my ranking. Speaking of Valhalla, I'm gonna give the Tribrid crown to the All Father since I prefer a bit more muscicality, The Elysian fields however are fine if you're looking for a capable neutral sound that ensures vocals shine through.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #24,054 of 39,419
Alright, skipping the preamble because I've already waxed about losing my VE cherry and there's not need to rehash that for the Elysium impressions.

VE Flagship Pt2: Electric Boogaloo Elysian Fields? (Or Elysium)

The Elysium has excellent faceplates, but perhaps that's more on VE's part on designing such pretty things, but I digress as usual. So the shell itself is pretty interesting, flatter than the VE8 and much wider too, though still pretty small for a 6 driver tribrid setup. Chonky nozzles (yay !), but angled nozzles (oh no). I actually found the Elysium being uncomfortable for my earlets, definitely pushing out a bit on all sides to make it uncomfortable after a long listening session. Plus I could actually hear my the sound of silicone tips and my canals rubbing against one another as my left eat slowly forced the nozzle out. Despite the relatively deep stem, the angle really didn't cooperate and I got a similar fit as with the u12t on my left ear, of course it's much lighter and just stayed in that spot. Man I was told that the Elysian fields was paradise, but it feels like a mixed bag out of the gate. Perhaps Valhalla might be a better fit....Nah, I'll give more time. I found that the Elysium took a bit of power to drive, used it with the HFS Silver off the 4.4 on my 1A with high gain on 55.

Onto impressions!

Bass is a bit pulled back similar to the VE8 in the overall signature, but midbass slam and impact is much more present than on the VE8. This doesn't mask the sub bass at all. Which has good extension. Still neutral overall with a slight mid bass bias which I would have liked in the VE8 regardless of the cable.There's not bleed of course makes me a very happy boy, somehow kilobucks still manage to bleed these days.Good for some laid back listening in the evenings or a quiet stroll, definitely not for the commute though. Some excitement in Greek paradise would be nice though....

But Kuro, you haven't talked about the mids, that's suppose to be the highlight of the Elysium!

A disclaimer that this the only double DD mid design iem I've listened to (Lola is on my try list) so I could be listening to the standard for double DDs and completely missing that.(pls don't shoot me if my mids disagree).

To be honest, I was super hyped about the mids after listening to the DMagic and...I end up a tad bit disappointed (which is an understatement) with what I heard. Elysium is able to make vocals the centerpiece of the signature without having to put them overly forward.Slight forward of neutral is where I put it. It does this in a way where it stands out compared to the other frequencies but maintains an overall neutral signature. In a way feels like a more technical version of the EE Athena, albeit at double the price brand new. I was expecting some more musicality and some more excitement in the mids.

Not much to say for the treble. The standard smooth and no sibiliance, a tad too safe and neutral. But it seems that most estats treble aim for that. I'm not sure if this is good or bad overall. But I much rather have that than peaky treble that hurts my ears.Extensions is pretty good. Maybe my favourite part of the signature when I look back even though there was less shimmer and air that I'd like which is a bit...worrying.

I stayed the course, walking through the entirety of the Elysian fields even with a mixed impression in the beginning.It really isn't the one for me. Overall the Elysium (like the VE8) leans more on it's technical chops, and I screamed loud enough about the timbre for the VE8, but Ely does it too (Post edit as I was reminded by @Frankie D ). And if my preference and ranking was based on pure technicality, they'd be taking Top 5 ranks and my recommendation without question. I wouldn't question VE's technical chops after hearing 2 flagships, but given the price the signatures end up being underwhelming, but enough to warrant somewhere in the 6-10 spots of my ranking. Speaking of Valhalla, I'm gonna give the Tribrid crown to the All Father since I prefer a bit more muscicality, The Elysian fields however are fine if you're looking for a capable neutral sound that ensures vocals shine through.
Pretty spot on impressions. I’d personally like a little more upper treble out of the elysium to give it a bit more sense of space and air

I also appreciate the more linear midrange though, it seems like half the models on the markets just crank up the upper midrange until the model sells :D that being said, I’m especially biased when it comes to that because it seems like the 2k region is my kryptonite

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #24,056 of 39,419
@mvvRAZ loved this:

The stock cable is great, although I’m almost certain that the pins are out of spec. When I tried to reinsert it into the Sultan, I was met with greater resistance than the one that the Rebels put up in Star Wars, so I simply gave up.
Ye Olde Noble Sockets, never change Noble.

Interesting take on the thinner vocals being a good match with warm gooey instrumentals. The thinner vocals were a big issue I had with it and super noticeable even testing it before Odin.

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #24,057 of 39,419
@mvvRAZ loved this:

Ye Olde Noble Sockets, never change Noble.

Interesting take on the thinner vocals being a good match with warm gooey instrumentals. The thinner vocals were a big issue I had with it and super noticeable even testing it before Odin.
I had that experience with the sultan with the AK SR25 and the DD Hifi adapter. It was fully resolved when I swapped to the AKA (was never a believer in adapters till that happened lol)

I’d say it’s worth sharing that when I had the WM1Z, I think the current might’ve been insufficient for the estats and ended up making them insanely bright and uncontrolled. I have no idea if the same happens to the WM1A (and you loved the Odin so there’s a good chance that’s not the case), but it might be worth trying with a different DAP too

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #24,058 of 39,419
Sep 23, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #24,059 of 39,419
I had that experience with the sultan with the AK SR25 and the DD Hifi adapter. It was fully resolved when I swapped to the AKA (was never a believer in adapters till that happened lol)

I’d say it’s worth sharing that when I had the WM1Z, I think the current might’ve been insufficient for the estats and ended up making them insanely bright and uncontrolled. I have no idea if the same happens to the WM1A (and you loved the Odin so there’s a good chance that’s not the case), but it might be worth trying with a different DAP too
I've always gotten my adapters with Neotech Silver from Triton so I can't speak for cheaper adapters and whether there's a difference. AK adapters use the 3.5 for grounding so I'm curious if the 1A one from PW Audio would make a difference.

Speaking of current and estats, to my knowledge the Odin and the MKII by extensions should be using the Gen 2 Sonion estats which solve the power issue (I'm looking at you Wraith). Wonder whether Noble chose to go Gen 2 with the Sultan. That could be a power reason, but I've never had issues with the 1A in that regards.

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #24,060 of 39,419
I've always gotten my adapters with Neotech Silver from Triton so I can't speak for cheaper adapters and whether there's a difference. AK adapters use the 3.5 for grounding so I'm curious if the 1A one from PW Audio would make a difference.

Speaking of current and estats, to my knowledge the Odin and the MKII by extensions should be using the Gen 2 Sonion estats which solve the power issue (I'm looking at you Wraith). Wonder whether Noble chose to go Gen 2 with the Sultan. That could be a power reason, but I've never had issues with the 1A in that regards.
I think the PW and the AKA one should sound give or take similar. They both have the grounding which is ultimately their advantage

I think what’s in the Sultan is also gen 2, though I’m not 100% certain. Did you find the vocals to be sibilant at any point or just thin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back