flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Sep 14, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #23,926 of 39,414
And speaking of Trio... and U12t, was doing recently more listening to FirAudio M4, and pretty much it sounds just like it looks below. If you combine the bass of Trio with mids/treble of U12t, you get yourself M4, like the best of both worlds :D

1600104771564.png

Sep 14, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #23,927 of 39,414
And speaking of Trio... and U12t, was doing recently more listening to FirAudio M4, and pretty much it sounds just like it looks below. If you combine the bass of Trio with mids/treble of U12t, you get yourself M4, like the best of both worlds :D

1600104771564.png
Yes but can I get the bass of the Trio, mids of the Nio and treble of the U12t in one IEM please?

Sep 14, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #23,929 of 39,414
This evening's listening perfectly illustrated the relative strengths (and weaknesses) of Trio and Nio respectively. Started off wanting to listen to Eva Cassidy's 'Simply Eva' album. I figured this is one for Nio (given it's affinity for euphonic female vocals) but I had Trio on, so gave it a go. No, just no! Unless you enjoy your eyes being drilled from inside your ears, avoid high-pitched, sometimes shouty female vocalists with less-than-perfect recordings on Trio. So I put Eva aside and put on some Jethro Tull (Crest of a Knave). What a difference. Pure joy. Probably the best rendition of this classic album I've heard to date. Ian Anderson's vocals were pitch perfect, all the instruments had their place, without a wrong note, and with so much detail and space I could have been getting a personal live performance from the band in my living room. How Trio can balance deep, punchy drums with pristine vocals and insanely detailed guitar strings and bells is beyond me. Listened cover to cover, then switched Trio with Nio and tried Eva again. And there she was, the Eva I know and love! Smooth, warm, emotional, occasionally pitchy but never harsh, with a smoothness to the strumming that makes for a relaxed and easy late night listen. I honestly don't believe there's one IEM that can play both these albums as well as I was able to hear them individually with the IEMs that best suited each one, and if there is I'm yet to hear it and probably can't afford it.

evacover.jpg crestcover.jpg

Sep 14, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #23,931 of 39,414
Sep 14, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #23,933 of 39,414
What's in each case and can you give details on what the actual cases are? Always on the hunt for better storage solutions.
I need to label them cause right now I’d need to open each one to tell you :D

The current collection is something like:
IER M9 + Eletech fortitude
A18S + Iliad
A12t + Plato/Socrates (undecided for now)
Thummim + Iliad
Elysium + Plato
MMR Balmung pending reshell
Sultan + Plato

They were all kinda stacked in the pelican case till now so I decided to put them in boxes in the big box... will be cleaning up soon so big sale on the horizon

Add: most cases are from Eletech cables (except the dark gray one which was a LE case)
The orange one is EA Leo II, the blue one is VE Elysium, the big eye is MMR Thummim

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #23,934 of 39,414
I believe both tia models (Fourté and Trio) are fully-tia, and it's why neither of them have custom variants. Whatever the case may be, the Trio is a great IEM for sure; probably - if we're talking personal preference - my second favourite behind the A18s.
I believe full Tia refers to the combination of Tia driver(s) and the acoustic chamber which are universal only. Just the use of the tia drivers is the rest of the line. So Trio would be the Tia chamber and the high Tia driver plus the mid BA and DD for the lows. Something similar to the Andromeda's TAEC which are used with the high BAs.

That got me thinking. What brand are you all most loyal or excited about when they release new models, flagship or otherwise? Mine would be Custom Art.

It's funny. I'm now on month 3 of an enforced medical layoff from work (nothing to do with the pandemic thankfully, it's my stupid legs. On crutches at the moment thanks to my knees and can hardly walk at the best of times. Doing physio now and things are improving s - l - o - w - l y)and hardly used my ciems or headphones as I largely tend to use them at work.
I'm hitting 10 months of self imposed layoff from work myself, the pandemic really hasn't helped and music is the only things keeping me sane. IEMs are a big help as opposed to full side. Sucks to hear, hope the physio gets you back on your feet soon, literally.

+2

64 is definitely the most exciting brand for me, mostly because their top-tier IEMs are the most innovative I've seen, and also seem to have more longevity and timelessness compared to some companies that churn out multiple models every year. But I keep an eye on all the major boutique players out of interest.
Kudos to that

They're just so brutally consistent in their products - I usually read up loads before purchasing anything from anyone, but when it comes to 64 I feel ultra safe buying something blind. I'm a huge fanboy though, what can I say :D
64 is the gateway drug to audio, but what can I say? huge fanboy as well. A whole stack of 64 stickers on my desk.

Wish I could say the same for 64 Audio. Both U12T i got had built issues on the same thing!!
QC is a hit a miss sometimes, and while it makes sense for the amount of money we;re shelling out that it shouldn't. You have to remember this a niche market and these companies are fairly small in the scheme of things. Unlike Sony who can afford to experiment with the financial backing and can afford good QC. U12t buys are Russian Roulette from us Canadian Bois experience.

I'm in the same camp! My first 64 audio product, which will be the tia Trio, is being delivered today. I keep checking my front door like a fool. Can't be more excited to try it out!
I was the same way when I got my A3, took the day to work from home so I could get it straight from the delivery person!

Sep 14, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #23,935 of 39,414
I need to label them cause right now I’d need to open each one to tell you :D

The current collection is something like:
IER M9 + Eletech fortitude
A18S + Iliad
A12t + Plato/Socrates (undecided for now)
Thummim + Iliad
Elysium + Plato
MMR Balmung pending reshell
Sultan + Plato

They were all kinda stacked in the pelican case till now so I decided to put them in boxes in the big box... will be cleaning up soon so big sale on the horizon
Michael, are you gonna start an Eletech fanclub? You collection is literally X + Eletech Cable

Sep 14, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #23,936 of 39,414
Michael, are you gonna start an Eletech fanclub? You collection is literally X + Eletech Cable
Well right now I’m kinda carrying their EU sales all by myself and we’re doing a tour for them soon too :D

Edit: carrying sales as in I’m the only one buying like a lunatic*

To me cables are for the most part well... vanity. And where vanity is concerned I love Eletech. Also their pin QC is insane so if I use any other cables right now and stretch the sockets my entire Eletech collection goes to ****

As Deezel called it a while back, perfect visual continuity

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #23,937 of 39,414
Well right now I’m kinda carrying their EU sales all by myself and we’re doing a tour for them soon too :D

To me cables are for the most part well... vanity. And where vanity is concerned I love Eletech. Also their pin QC is insane so if I use any other cables right now and stretch the sockets my entire Eletech collection goes to ****

Ah, official EU dealer :p Gotcha

Yeah cables end up being audiophile bling for the most part. A decent copper or SPC is fine, Electech aesthetics are bae though.

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #23,938 of 39,414
I believe full Tia refers to the combination of Tia driver(s) and the acoustic chamber which are universal only. Just the use of the tia drivers is the rest of the line. So Trio would be the Tia chamber and the high Tia driver plus the mid BA and DD for the lows. Something similar to the Andromeda's TAEC which are used with the high BAs.

I'm hitting 10 months of self imposed layoff from work myself, the pandemic really hasn't helped and music is the only things keeping me sane. IEMs are a big help as opposed to full side. Sucks to hear, hope the physio gets you back on your feet soon, literally.

Kudos to that

64 is the gateway drug to audio, but what can I say? huge fanboy as well. A whole stack of 64 stickers on my desk.

QC is a hit a miss sometimes, and while it makes sense for the amount of money we;re shelling out that it shouldn't. You have to remember this a niche market and these companies are fairly small in the scheme of things. Unlike Sony who can afford to experiment with the financial backing and can afford good QC. U12t buys are Russian Roulette from us Canadian Bois experience.

I was the same way when I got my A3, took the day to work from home so I could get it straight from the delivery person!

Well, technically-speaking, all tia drivers need an acoustic chamber of some sort. Otherwise, there'd be no rhyme or reason to their tuning. The one on the customs are specifically called the tia bore on their website, and it basically creates a controlled chamber so the tia driver sounds the same no matter the shape of the custom. Since all the drivers in the universals are tubeless, they all require individual acoustic chambers, which makes things exponentially more complicated. But, yeah, it's just semantics at this point. 'Point is: They all sound at least pretty, darn good. :D

If I'm good for anything, it's puns and buzz words. :p

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #23,939 of 39,414
Well, technically-speaking, all tia drivers need an acoustic chamber of some sort. Otherwise, there'd be no rhyme or reason to their tuning. The one on the customs are specifically called the tia bore on their website, and it basically creates a controlled chamber so the tia driver sounds the same no matter the shape of the custom. Since all the drivers in the universals are tubeless, they all require individual acoustic chambers, which makes things exponentially more complicated. But, yeah, it's just semantics at this point. 'Point is: They all sound at least pretty, darn good. :D
Yup Tia gud.

There' s just a bit of confusion stemming from what they list on the site regarding the Tia universals. Lets just call it magic

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #23,940 of 39,414
The A18s is number one on my 'must audition' list even though I've sworn off all-BA IEMs. My wallet is on strike though, so chances are slim I'll ever get to own it. My ears will have to live on a diet of Nio and Trio for the foreseeable future, but I'll continue to live vicariously on this forum to share in the experience of these exceptional IEMs.

Yeah, having gotten to know your tastes fairly well over the past few weeks, the one reason I'm holding back from fully recommending the A18s to you is that it practically screams BA. Obviously, that's not a bad thing by any means, and I'm also not implying that it's got a plasticky timbre, which - for some reason - a lot of people tend to stereotype with all-BA IEMs. Given the sheer variety of sounds I've heard come out of BA's, and how natural and meaty the A18s sounds, for example, I have no clue how that association ever came to be, but I digress. I'm just not sure if that's something you'd be able to get over, even if it ticks all the other boxes. Hopefully, you'll get to hear a demo of it soon somehow. Have you tried contacting 64 or one of their dealers for a loaner, perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back