flickering clicking sound on HE5 - what could this be?
Dec 15, 2010 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Angaria

100+ Head-Fier
For the past few listening session I've heard a sort of hard clicking noise that comes through both sides of my beloved HE-5's.  [size=small]It's not noticeable at very soft volumes, but moderate volumes it's quite evident as a steady clicking.  However, it is intermittent, over a period of several seconds.  I'm using these with the HE5 amp.  Is there something I can do to diagnose this?  Thanks![/size][size=small] [/size]

Dec 15, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
For the past few listening session I've heard a sort of hard clicking noise that comes through both sides of my beloved HE-5's.  [size=small]It's not noticeable at very soft volumes, but moderate volumes it's quite evident as a steady clicking.  I'm using these with the HE5 amp.  Is there something I can do to diagnose this?  Thanks![/size][size=small] [/size]

Plug them into your iPod or PC directly and bypass your amp. Do you still hear the clicking?

Dec 15, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks. Will need a quarter inch to 3.5mm adapter to do that... maybe I can find some old receiver around here with a headphone amp.

Dec 15, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
Thanks. Will need a quarter inch to 3.5mm adapter to do that... maybe I can find some old receiver around here with a headphone amp.

That'll do it. Just want to make sure it's not your amp/source first. If the issue follows your HE-5s, then it has something to do with your headphones.

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 7
Well, I've learned that old Sansui's have pretty nice headphone outs.  The downside is that the clicking still occurs.  Odd thing is... I can't tell why it starts and stops - it doesn't seem to correspond to loud bass for instance.

Dec 16, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 7
Just swapped dacs and the cllicking disappeared.  Was all set to blame it on HiFace+ESS... but then I swapped them back in to be sure, and the the issue hasn't reoccurred.  So now it could be almost anything in the signal path and I can only hope it doesn't recur.

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Just swapped dacs and the cllicking disappeared.  Was all set to blame it on HiFace+ESS... but then I swapped them back in to be sure, and the the issue hasn't reoccurred.  So now it could be almost anything in the signal path and I can only hope it doesn't recur.

So there you go...you're headphones are fine.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back