FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Oct 2, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #7,563 of 7,931
And how to do that?

This solution only to those who think Gold is not sparkle enough.

filter.png

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #7,568 of 7,931
This solution only to those who think Gold is not sparkle enough.

Did that and vocals are not as smooth as before but highs have become quite a bit sparkly now, even better then gunmetal. Need to test this out for more time but i think vocals is a compromise now.

Thanks

Yup i didnt like it and reverted it... I think my filter was misaligned before i took it out now it's all good i can see the white thingy

How did you put it back again?

Oct 2, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #7,569 of 7,931
Did that and vocals are not as smooth as before but highs have become quite a bit sparkly now, even better then gunmetal. Need to test this out for more time but i think vocals is a compromise now.

Thanks

How did you put it back again?

Just do the forrest's procedure in reverse. Push it from the big nozzle with the white part facing down

Oct 2, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #7,570 of 7,931
Just do the forrest's procedure in reverse. Push it from the big nozzle with the white part facing down

I am giving Comply a try before putting these back again. Comply calms down sibilance a bit, testing if i can live with that.

Sparkle is similar to green filter but unlike that vovals still have weight in them.

Oct 2, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #7,571 of 7,931
Oct 5, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #7,572 of 7,931
This is a further feedback of a modded gold fiter. Now after using this for last few days, I have decided to keep on using it. Initially i thought of reverting back but after some experimenting i have made the combo to work for me.

Grey grey modded gold presents a bright signature. I don't have problem with bright signatures but it also added sibilance to upper mids. To balance that i changed grey sub bass to red and white stock tips to black. Red plug is an absolute must with modded gold. Other most important thing is getting a perfect seal. I get perfect seal with black stock tips as it becomes noticeably dark with them. Sibilance is still there but it's not a deal breaker now. Overall signature is much more exciting now. My source is mid bass heavy which complements this tuning well.

I will keep on using this tuning for at least a month. My ears have adjusted to signature now.

@csglinux can you post a frequency response graph of red grey modded gold vs red grey gold if you don't mind..? I want to see what it looks like :thinking:

Oct 6, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #7,575 of 7,931
This is a further feedback of a modded gold fiter. Now after using this for last few days, I have decided to keep on using it. Initially i thought of reverting back but after some experimenting i have made the combo to work for me.

Grey grey modded gold presents a bright signature. I don't have problem with bright signatures but it also added sibilance to upper mids. To balance that i changed grey sub bass to red and white stock tips to black. Red plug is an absolute must with modded gold. Other most important thing is getting a perfect seal. I get perfect seal with black stock tips as it becomes noticeably dark with them. Sibilance is still there but it's not a deal breaker now. Overall signature is much more exciting now. My source is mid bass heavy which complements this tuning well.

I will keep on using this tuning for at least a month. My ears have adjusted to signature now.

@csglinux can you post a frequency response graph of red grey modded gold vs red grey gold if you don't mind..? I want to see what it looks like :thinking:

Please take the following measurements with the large pinch of salt they deserve. There are lots of caveats here:

1) I'm using a Vibro Veritas coupler, which doesn't accurately match the transfer impedance of your inner-ear. (Neither does a proper 711-compliant coupler, but at least there's some kind of standard there.) Absolute values won't match those from other measurement rigs. Deltas might not match perfectly either, but the trends should match.
2) I have mic compensation curves to account for my mic's lower sensitivity in the lows and highs.
3) I use a diffuse-field compensation correction, simply because I'm used to looking at the data that way. But it's true that all these compensation curves are somewhat arbitrary.
4) I'm using default stock white FLC eartips. The stock black FLC eartips are within measurement tolerance of the white for me. (That doesn't mean they'll be that way for you though - more pliable material might seat differently in your ear canals.) As for SpinFits - I do like them and use them a lot. They're slightly more comfortable for me, but @Flcforrestwei has pointed out that there are differences in the treble (the wider/flared bore of the FLC tips boosts the treble around 10+ kHz). I was a skeptic about this, until I checked. Of course, @Flcforrestwei was right :)
5) I'm using a StarTech sound card for the A->D and a Hugo 2 for D->A from REW.
6) Input power was the same for all cases, output normalized at 1 kHz, but note that some of the FRs have a bit of a bump around 1 kHz, which can throw off the OASPLs somewhat.

FLC8S_Modified_Gold.png

There's no right or wrong here, it just depends on personal preferences and your own ears - and recordings. My take on the above is that the modified gold (removing the damper in the gold filter) results in essentially a gold mid-range and a green-filter-like upper register.

Something interesting I figured from this... For a long time I've been wanting something between Gunmetal and Blue. You can sort of do that by taking those dampers from the gold filter and shoving them into the gunmetal (on top of the existing gunmetal filters), to create what I've called a "Double-Filtered-Gunmetal". I've put the results on a separate graph below so things don't look too cluttered:

FLC8S_Dbl_Filtered_gunmetal.png

I like this :) It makes the resulting FR more like that of the KSE1500 (which, for those of you that don't know, is the current best-sounding HP on the planet - at least to my ears). This double-filtered gunmetal seems to work great in the FLC8N too, which has more energy than the FLC8S above 10 kHz. I'll need to spend more time listening to this, but this has definitely got me a whole lot more excited about the FLC8N (which I initially felt had a bit too much energy in the lower treble for my ears). At least it's another option to try on top of the 36 or 37 tuning options you already had :)

P.S. I don't think there's a right or wrong with the eartip choice either (i.e., SpinFit vs FLC tip). Sometimes you might want a little more treble and sometimes you might not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back