FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #7,441 of 7,931
I was gonna say, it's been a few days and I still can't settle on a tip.

After "settling" on a tip, I've gone back and done more testing and found improvements years later :wink:

I'd bet it's fairly common for us to part ways with a particular headphone because it doesn't sound quite right, when all it would have taken to turn it into one of our favorite headphones of all time would have been a change of eartip.

BTW, I think @Flcforrestwei did a good job with the FLC eartips. The slight flare and wide bore definitely helps the treble.

Jun 18, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #7,442 of 7,931
Well, I settled on the tips just a few days ago, so technically I couldn't settle on the tips for two weeks. I narrowed the choice down to a handful of pairs but just when I thought I had found the perfect tips I would hear a certain song that didn't sound quite right and back to the piles of tips, which resulted in playing with tips I didn't think would work initially and then came the extra pain of fiddling with the insertion depth.

With that said, it's possible that you just don't have the right tips for you in your tip collection.

After "settling" on a tip, I've gone back and done more testing and found improvements years later :wink:

I'd bet it's fairly common for us to part ways with a particular headphone because it doesn't sound quite right, when all it would have taken to turn it into one of our favorite headphones of all time would have been a change of eartip.

BTW, I think @Flcforrestwei did a good job with the FLC eartips. The slight flare and wide bore definitely helps the treble.
Yea, my tip rolling usually isn't so much about the sound for me, though I certainly pay attention to it. My ears are weird, I usually end up with the same size tip in each ear, but the turn in my ear canals are slightly different angles. Adjusting the tips/insertion is usually simply an effort to find a sound that's balanced between left/right.

I've had most of these for a while:
Spiral Dot
Symbio
SpinFit
Mee Audio
Various foams

I've never gotten a good fit from them on other IEMs, but the SpinFits seem to work best for now. I do think stock tips produce the best sound. I may try to grab some ML Spiral Dots, the M size I have might be a touch small, I hate how you can't get them in assorted sizes.

Jun 19, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #7,443 of 7,931
Yes, that is the case with most IEMs. But there is a bracket within which the sound changes with tip rolling, and my impressions are based on the average of how the 8N sounds across many tips. Every IEM has its own general characteristics and there are aspects that are independent of the tips, such as; resolution, imaging precision, layering etc. Also, it is all relative. When I say 8N is smoother than the EN700Pro, then it means the 8N is generally smoother across multiple tips, compared to EN700Pro across multiple tips.

Interesting. Perhaps I am lucky then in the sense that the stock tips seem to fit and sound the best for me... Then again I have limited amount of tips on me.

Jun 19, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #7,444 of 7,931
This tip thing can get really silly in how many factors of the tip that make a big difference.
It's not just the shape and size, it's also about how thin or thick the material is between two identical models but different brand:
I had two pairs of this model, only difference was the thickness. The thinner material one made a big difference in sound for this particular IEM . Moral of the story? Buy alot of them from different brands! Their cheap anyway..

Or get a custom pair made for you, never tried that..expensive, also makes them stick out of your ears more. I guess that can look pretty funny on the go :)
18ddfc16a46c5bb87ed2c13cfc40a02f4a97ee54eea48208372b52e82456b4f2.jpg

Jun 19, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #7,445 of 7,931
Moral of the story? Buy alot of them from different brands!
Good advice :)

Or get a custom pair made for you, never tried that..expensive, also makes them stick out of your ears more.
I've had a few of them, and the results weren't great. The sticking-out part is problematic for the sound, because it inevitably creates a much longer bore length which exaggerates the amplitude, but lowers the frequency of those resonant modes - neither of which is a good thing in my experience.

Jun 20, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #7,446 of 7,931
Btw, I received the replacement gunmetal filters for my flc8d from LMUE. Quick response and great service - they sent me two pairs. The interesting thing is that the filters are slightly different - the replacement ones have wider opening and I assume they are from their flc8s stock, so flc must have did minor redesigning - it would be interesting if anyone, who has the flc8s and one of the new models can also compare the other filters. I would have assumed that there might be just small manufacturing variations if I didn't have four gunmetal filters that are the same and all have wider opening than the flc8d ones.

Jun 26, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #7,449 of 7,931
Just got mine today and I immediately went for the popular Red-grey-gunmetal filter combo for that more fun sound. As for the tips, the stock is pretty good, but the vocals can get slightly messy. I then compared Spinfits and Spiral Dots MS, and settled to my good old Spiral Dots that served me well on my just-sold Massdrop +. The Spinfits can introduce some sibilance with some female vocals (Mariah Carey being one of them), where as the Spiral Dots smooths it out a bit. I do notice a slightly more impactful bass hit with the Spinfits, but I'm ok with slightly less bass in exchange for a bit less fatigue in the mids/high that I get with the Spiral Dots MS.

UPDATE: I went back to the stock Medium black silicone tip since it has a better seal and give a better seal. I'm also ordering Spiral Dots M to see if the slightly larger size can give a better seal and richer bass than the Spiral Dots MS.

Running on my LG V30 with High Impedance Hi-fi mode enabled.

20180626_010820.jpg

20180626_011514.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #7,450 of 7,931
Hmm, so I noticed that with my right ear piece, the gun metal MF/HF doesn't screw in all the way.

20180626_044225.jpg
I can't be sure of this affects the sound quality or not..

Even when I switch the ports, the right side still stick up a little bit more

20180626_044334.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #7,451 of 7,931
I have had the 8D for about two weeks and I think it is properly broken in. I use gunmetal on it, just like the 8S.

I must admit, it sounds almost exactly the same as the 8S with the red ULF filter and grey LF and also gunmetal. Just less filters to play with (or lose).

I am wondering what the going used price is for the 8S in the US? I have both the regular and balanced cables. I think the 8D is working fine for me, and that gives funds for new toys from FLC.

Jun 26, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #7,453 of 7,931
To be honest neither one of those looks screwed in all the way. The metal filter should sit flush with the nozzle.

Yeah, I can screw the gold all the way, but not the gun metal =(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back