FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #7,217 of 7,931
image.jpg
I have not had issues with pins being too long. They slide in comfortably without putting pressure. Attached is a picture. The only reason that you actually see the pins is because the FLC has a bit of a transparent plastic protrusion at the connector, that's why the FLC cable has a little bit of a sleeve at the pins. I don't have issue with microphonics and the memory wire is comfortable to me. The cable is a bit rubbery, though, and I prefer braided or cloth. It works with my iPhone, and I have no way of testing on android. Remote buttons habe a nice tactile feel and click nicely when pressed. To me, they're a B+ for mobile use in general. They're the best (and only) FLC mobile use cable I've come across. There is no slider at the y-split.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #7,218 of 7,931
Word of caution: the NA TF10 pin fit will be hit & miss due to tolerances. My first set (Arete) were extremely tight to get onto the FLC8s and I'm wary to remove them now. My second cable (Lune) were a better fit, tight but not as tight, to get on a second set of FLC8s. Other connector types I've ordered through NA also have been hit & miss.

I had no problems at all. Since all Forrest cables are (let's say) average one, Arete cable is good solution.

Mar 9, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #7,219 of 7,931
After much deliberation and indecision, I finally decided to order the flc8s, as well as the flc upgrade cable. In the end, getting them with Amazon prime (lend me your ears store) and next day shipping, proved to difficult to turn down. I'm truly anxious to finally hear these, after reading about them for nearly 2 years, lol.
I do have a question that I'm hoping all you knowledgeable flc owners may be able to help me with. What filters should I try first, if I'm looking for max sub bass and airy, sparkling treble? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Mar 9, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #7,220 of 7,931
After much deliberation and indecision, I finally decided to order the flc8s, as well as the flc upgrade cable. In the end, getting them with Amazon prime (lend me your ears store) and next day shipping, proved to difficult to turn down. I'm truly anxious to finally hear these, after reading about them for nearly 2 years, lol.
I do have a question that I'm hoping all you knowledgeable flc owners may be able to help me with. What filters should I try first, if I'm looking for max sub bass and airy, sparkling treble? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Congratulations, I am sure you will be happy with your decision.
As you know it is question of personal taste. I started with red/black/gold but settled with red/black/gunmetal.

Mar 9, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #7,221 of 7,931
Congratulations, I am sure you will be happy with your decision.
As you know it is question of personal taste. I started with red/black/gold but settled with red/black/gunmetal.
Thank you, and I'm sure I will enjoy them! How would you describe the sound using the red/black/gunmetal filters?

Mar 9, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #7,222 of 7,931
Thank you, and I'm sure I will enjoy them! How would you describe the sound using the red/black/gunmetal filters?
Pretty much what you asked for - max sub bass and airy, sparkling treble :wink:
I'm sure you'll enjoy them. They're awesome IEMs - they easily compete with any <$1000 IEM I'm aware of.

Mar 9, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #7,223 of 7,931
I'm sure you'll enjoy them. They're awesome IEMs - they easily compete with any <$1000 IEM I'm aware of.

Fully quote, nothing to add

Mar 9, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #7,224 of 7,931
Sounds GREAT!! I am really, really excited to get them now. I've loved the LZ's and the Brainwavz that I've tried and now own. I consider the A4 and A5, as well as the B200 and B400 price to performance ratio monsters and can't wait to see how the Flc stack up. In my opinion the B400 and A4 compete with western branded stuff up to 2x and 3x's what they cost, so you saying the 8s compete with stuff upwards of $1000.00, has me giddy to try them!

Mar 9, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #7,225 of 7,931
I still haven't found an IEM that I like better than the FLC8S when you factor in sound quality; comfort, and price. This IT04 looks like it may be a contender; I bought the IT01 for grins and giggles and for the money they are sweet. Sometimes I like a travel pair that won't freak me out if they get lost.

In terms of filters; I would suggest you just use them as they come out of the box for a bit, and then fine tune based on your perceived needs to add or subtract power at various frequency bands addressed by the filters. They do break in a bit in my opinion, so that may be a factor. For example, I think the red ULF filter sounds much more natural now than when I first purchased the unit. I run them fairly "flat"; red ULF; grey LF, gunmetal/black for MF/HF.

Change filters over a bowl so that when the filters go flying (and they will go flying) they stay in the bowl and don't go on vacation in your kitchen or office table or what have you.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #7,226 of 7,931
I still haven't found an IEM that I like better than the FLC8S when you factor in sound quality; comfort, and price. This IT04 looks like it may be a contender; I bought the IT01 for grins and giggles and for the money they are sweet. Sometimes I like a travel pair that won't freak me out if they get lost.

In terms of filters; I would suggest you just use them as they come out of the box for a bit, and then fine tune based on your perceived needs to add or subtract power at various frequency bands addressed by the filters. They do break in a bit in my opinion, so that may be a factor. For example, I think the red ULF filter sounds much more natural now than when I first purchased the unit. I run them fairly "flat"; red ULF; grey LF, gunmetal/black for MF/HF.

Change filters over a bowl so that when the filters go flying (and they will go flying) they stay in the bowl and don't go on vacation in your kitchen or office table or what have you.
Thank you, and I'll definitely take your words to heart. I've read that the filters are somewhat difficult to change out, so I'm sure I'll have trial and error at first. Thanks for the bowl suggestion. I'll try that for sure. Also, is there a paper in English included, that breaks the filters down for you? I think I read somewhere in this thread about there being paperwork in Chinese included.

Mar 9, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #7,227 of 7,931
What filters should I try first, if I'm looking for max sub bass and airy, sparkling treble?

I found the FLC8S to be a great tool for learning what I like (and don't like!) in an earphone's tuning.

IME, an interesting experiment was to listen to what the FLC8s was capable of at the extremes of its tuning options.
i.e. listen to it for a while with no filters at all, then go to the other extreme of the most restrictive filters (clear, clear, blue).

That will give you an idea about the range of adjustments that are possible - you have 3x3x4 choices in between those extremes :)
It honestly sounds pretty good through most tunings.

Some are outstanding though (red sub-bass, black or gray bass, gold or grey nozzle).

Mar 11, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #7,228 of 7,931
My FLC8s and the FLC upgrade cable arrived this morning and I've gotten to give them a couple of hours of ear time. I love the sound ootb and can tell I'm going to be using these alot going forward. I'm a little disappointed that they didn't come with the spin fit tips that the description said would be included. I bought both the cable and earphone from lend me your ears store on Amazon. The description said it would include the spin fit tips, but nope and I went with the blue instead of the red because of the supposedly free tips.
Also, holy crap is the "upgrade" cable springy and unruly. I knew about the stock cable issues from reading this thread, but the stock cable actually is softer and much, much more manageable. I wonder if the stock cable has recently been updated? Needless to say, I'm less than impressed with the cable for 100.00 and the lack of spinfits, but at least the earphone is super comfortable and sounds great.

Mar 11, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #7,229 of 7,931
My FLC8s and the FLC upgrade cable arrived this morning and I've gotten to give them a couple of hours of ear time. I love the sound ootb and can tell I'm going to be using these alot going forward. I'm a little disappointed that they didn't come with the spin fit tips that the description said would be included. I bought both the cable and earphone from lend me your ears store on Amazon. The description said it would include the spin fit tips, but nope and I went with the blue instead of the red because of the supposedly free tips.
Also, holy **** is the "upgrade" cable springy and unruly. I knew about the stock cable issues from reading this thread, but the stock cable actually is softer and much, much more manageable. I wonder if the stock cable has recently been updated? Needless to say, I'm less than impressed with the cable for 100.00 and the lack of spinfits, but at least the earphone is super comfortable and sounds great.

Welcome to the club :beerchug:

Don't be too sad about missing the SpinFit tips. The stock silicone FLC tips are virtually the same. They're just very slightly wider diameter at the top (in theory, slightly better for treble extension, but maybe slightly less comfortable, although YMWV depending on your ear canals). There are plenty of cable options to explore later. Enjoy!

Mar 11, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #7,230 of 7,931
Welcome to the club :beerchug:

Don't be too sad about missing the SpinFit tips. The stock silicone FLC tips are virtually the same. They're just very slightly wider diameter at the top (in theory, slightly better for treble extension, but maybe slightly less comfortable, although YMWV depending on your ear canals). There are plenty of cable options to explore later. Enjoy!
Thank you! I love these more with every song. I really like the supplied tips, and get a great seal with them. I'm just disappointed I didn't go for the red and actually feel a little foolish I chose the blue just for the spin fits, lol. I actually am thinking something is actually wrong with the upgrade cable and will probably just return it. Every time the L plug gets bumped or swivels, the track changes or accesses my Google assistant. I've never had that happen before and it doesn't do it with the stock cable or any other cable I have. Oh well, you can't win em all. Cheers to Forrest for creating an awesome earphone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back