FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #6,857 of 7,931
Sorry for the dumb question, but are the FLC 8s still the best buy for their price range? I know a lot of good IEMs have come out around this price in 2017.

I haven't yet heard a better non-electrostatic IEM at any price. I love my $1000 Xelentos and SE846, but still prefer the FLC8S. You might want to hang tight for a month though, because FLC has the Celeste, FLC9, FLC8d, FLC8n, and goodness knows what else all imminently about to launch.

Dec 19, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #6,858 of 7,931
Has anyone modified their green filter to have a larger "side-hole" (mids control)?
Or equivalently, knocked the filter out of their gold nozzle?

I quite like the green nozzle at reasonable volumes (more air, sense of space than gold or gunmetal), but feel the mids could use more amplitude with this amount of upper treble.

To answer my own question, this effect can be had by simply not using any filter in the nozzle.
Folks that like the gold nozzle sound, but wishing for a bit more extension up top may like this mod.
Using it with red and black bass filters and I think it sounds glorious. YMMV.

Dec 19, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #6,859 of 7,931
This is exactly my idea. I am planning to use comply tx400 foam tips with no nozzles. Tx400 has waxguard so that will act as filter in this regard.

I tried no nozzle with spinfits but there is too much grainyness in treble and sounds unrefined.

Dec 20, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #6,860 of 7,931
This is exactly my idea. I am planning to use comply tx400 foam tips with no nozzles. Tx400 has waxguard so that will act as filter in this regard.

I tried no nozzle with spinfits but there is too much grainyness in treble and sounds unrefined.

Do you (did you?) listen at high volumes?
Just curious, as I don't detect those problems at lower, long-term-listening volumes.
But, at OMG-i-love-this-song-let's-crank-it volumes, yes, I would agree there is some disjointedness in the treble with this configuration.
I wouldn't listen at that volume for very long though...

Dec 20, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #6,861 of 7,931
Do you (did you?) listen at high volumes?
Just curious, as I don't detect those problems at lower, long-term-listening volumes.
But, at OMG-i-love-this-song-let's-crank-it volumes, yes, I would agree there is some disjointedness in the treble with this configuration.
I wouldn't listen at that volume for very long though...

I usually listen at low to average volume levels. I figured that treble was hollow and peaky like it is coming from an empty vessel. This was during brief listen for like 20-30 seconds.

Dec 22, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #6,865 of 7,931
Sorry for the dumb question, but are the FLC 8s still the best buy for their price range? I know a lot of good IEMs have come out around this price in 2017.

There are others out there that are worthy contenders, in my opinion, depending on what you like. I'm thinking of the Audio Technica ATH-IM03 & -e70, Ortofon e-q8, and Earsonics SM64. Of course, none of those are tuneable.

Edit: not a dumb question :)

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #6,867 of 7,931
Here's my 2 cents (warning: I love good stuff but I don't consider myself an audiophile, just a keen amateur).

Have had/have: SE420, AKG-702, B&W P7 wireless/wired.

Wow. Just wow. I have been using the FLC 8S for 4 days now in the stock config. The only 'mod' I did was to use some SpinFit tips.

Where do I even start? Great soundstage, excellent detail, deep tight bass (never even appreciated how many types of bass exist as with the other headphones they all sound the same), amazing treble (it almost knocks me off the chair!), incredible dynamics (the music goes up A LOT when it needs to be, 'quiet/normal level' otherwise)...in just a few words the music that comes out of these things feels 'alive'. Difficult to describe really, but it's like when you listen to live music and you feel like 'part of the show'.

Also, comfort is top-notch, I was a bit worried as I considered the Shure olives to be the best in terms of fit and comfort, but the FLC 8S (either with their stock silicon tips or with the SpinFit) are even more comfortable. Must be due to the shape of the actual headphone and relatively small footprint.

Even the packaging is premium with a very fancy design. Really like it.

Paid £287 including taxes via Amazon Global.

Absolutely love it.

Thanks for the recommendations and a Merry Christmas to All.

(Source: iPhone 6 / Spotify 320).

Dec 25, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #6,869 of 7,931
Merry Christmas Forrest

Dec 25, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #6,870 of 7,931
Here's my 2 cents (warning: I love good stuff but I don't consider myself an audiophile, just a keen amateur).

Have had/have: SE420, AKG-702, B&W P7 wireless/wired.

Wow. Just wow. I have been using the FLC 8S for 4 days now in the stock config. The only 'mod' I did was to use some SpinFit tips.

Where do I even start? Great soundstage, excellent detail, deep tight bass (never even appreciated how many types of bass exist as with the other headphones they all sound the same), amazing treble (it almost knocks me off the chair!), incredible dynamics (the music goes up A LOT when it needs to be, 'quiet/normal level' otherwise)...in just a few words the music that comes out of these things feels 'alive'. Difficult to describe really, but it's like when you listen to live music and you feel like 'part of the show'.

Also, comfort is top-notch, I was a bit worried as I considered the Shure olives to be the best in terms of fit and comfort, but the FLC 8S (either with their stock silicon tips or with the SpinFit) are even more comfortable. Must be due to the shape of the actual headphone and relatively small footprint.

Even the packaging is premium with a very fancy design. Really like it.

Paid £287 including taxes via Amazon Global.

Absolutely love it.

Thanks for the recommendations and a Merry Christmas to All.

(Source: iPhone 6 / Spotify 320).

Welcome on board!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back