FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Apr 1, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #6,288 of 7,931

Just bought some used off of Amazon (hopefully in like new condition like it said). Any suggestions for good tips for these iems? I'm so psyched!!

I've done a lot of tip rolling with these, and the stock tips are really one of your best options, in my opinion. 

I also like the Spiral Dots, the Cardas A8 tips, and the Meelec M6 tips (dual-flange). I personally would stay away from narrow-bore tips, which don't benefit the sound (to my ears).

Apr 1, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #6,289 of 7,931
Just bought some used off of Amazon (hopefully in like new condition like it said). Any suggestions for good tips for these iems? I'm so psyched!!

This is the first pair of IEM's, with which I use the silicon tips. I tried my trusty Comply's, but prefer the sound with the silicons. To me, the Comply's veiled the sound, a bit muffling the upper bass, lower mids. But with the silicon, the sound was open and clear (to me).

First pair that has actually sounded better with those tips!:sunglasses:

Apr 1, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #6,291 of 7,931
anyone try the spin fit tips with these iems?

yes and they work fine....thing is with tips: you'll often find people will try one kind for a bit
then try another...or switch back,...or try something else.
tips are soooo personal depending on one's ear shape (my right ear feel larger in opening than left, for example)
so in the end it's always YMMV...experiment with the seal....pull ear lobe back and up and insert.

i wasn't aware of a better way to insert earplugs until i saw this informative video
.....hope you enjoy it and also find it helpful.

from Etymotic

happy listening: 
beyersmile.png

Apr 1, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #6,292 of 7,931

I've done a lot of tip rolling with these, and the stock tips are really one of your best options, in my opinion. 

I also like the Spiral Dots, the Cardas A8 tips, and the Meelec M6 tips (dual-flange). I personally would stay away from narrow-bore tips, which don't benefit the sound (to my ears).

I've come to the conclusion for my ears, dual-flange silicone is the undisputed champ. They can be inserted quickly and easily, are durable and provide a strong seal. Been using then for years before with the TF10s.

Triple-flange create too tight of a fit / too high pressure for me to the point of being almost painful although probably offer the best isolation.

The stock single-flange tips were comfortable but either didn't seal consistently (medium) or were too large (large).

Foam tips (Comply or otherwise) are comfortable but are extra effort to insert properly and get dirty / clogged and have to be frequently replaced. Silicone seems to last almost forever.

Apr 2, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #6,295 of 7,931
  Is it it possible to buy a replacement pair of tweezers? I lost mine when I brought it out one day and I'm actually kinda fond of it. 
frown.gif

Wow I think you're in the minority here. You can try contacting Lend Me Ur Ears.

Apr 2, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #6,296 of 7,931
Have you said all that on the Vega thread? I got to borrow Vega for a week. They are good, but I didn't think they are extraordinary. When I said as much in the Vega thread, well let's just say they didn't take it well, lol...

Sorry, was on mobile only last week. Nah, I keep up with the Campfire threads but for quite some time they've been full of ideas and discourse that is... not quite lining up with what I generally believe in or like to interact with, and its just the internet, I don't need to add my voice. But you know how it is better than me, haha.
Seems some people love the Vegas from the get-go but I think it will take time for others. Myself, I'm starting to appreciate them a great deal but its taken 2-3 weeks. And that is in spite of the Vega - Mojo pairing which, while I can see why some would love it, is too full and smooth for me. But then, I've found this before with my U4-SE, and Nova for that matter, still don't have a great source for either (my phone is probably best for both and the amp or jack in it doesn't like really low impedance phones and often doesn't trigger the right channel).
FLC8s - Mojo combo is really really good, if I didn't just like buying cool things I could probably stop with that. 

Apr 4, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #6,300 of 7,931
  Wanted to post my thoughts on the Celeste last night but was too tired after 2 days of Canjaming so I'll post this during work on a slow Monday morning instead LOL.

Ok the basics first: There will be a total of 108 configuration: 3 low frequency options, 3 ultra low frequency, 3 options at the y connector switch (classic rock, male vocal, and female vocal), and 4 nozzles options which look identical to the nozzles for the FLC8S. The price is thought to be $2,000 but is not fixed and COULD be subjected to change. The tuning is probably not 100% fixed but maybe 80% fixed. 

Disclaimer: The options at Canjam were fixed at minimal low frequency and moderate ultra low frequency, with gold nozzle. However I was free to play with the Y connector switch (I will call this the Y switch). So I was probably not listening to the Celeste at my favorite configurations and that it has the potential to sound even better.

I'm also a current owner of the FLC8S and when listening to the Celeste, the main earphones for comparison was LMUE's FLC8S in balanced configuration. 

Firstly, the Celeste has the same house sound as the FLC8S except that I felt that it's probably less warm and more neutralish than the FLC8S. Hence at times, the FLC8S will come across as more musical and enjoyable, but the Celeste will have better clarity and be more revealing. Therefore it can be hard to tell which I prefer more because it's really YMMV, or in this case, MMMV. 

If I have to summarize, I will say the Celeste is less warm, with better resolution and wider soundstage compared to the FLC8S. The Celeste has less bass (due to its configuration) than the FLC8S that I chose to listen to but they are the same quality of bass that I love: powerful hard hitting bass with enough rumble to make it feel more natural but doesn't creep into the mids. They're probably almost identical in the bass department.

The thing that I'm able to play most with is the Y switch and it really makes a night and day difference! Probably about 90% of the time, the song will sound better if I choose the right vocal but for me I struggle abit to enjoy the classic/rock option. What it does is to push back the mids abit to increase the soundstage, sort of like moving back from the front row at a concert to the middle, but the change is quite disconcerting and I find that I prefer the vocal options most of the time. Of course, this creates the issue that I have to frequently toggle from song to song in order to match the right vocal setting.

And now on the issue of price. I will estimate that the Celeste is maybe 20-30% better than the FLC8S and even this is subjective depending on your preferences! This is where the FLC8S' fantastic pricing has come back to bite FLC in the rear. The FLC8S is such a crazy good value at $340 that the Celeste just seems way overpriced at $2,000 given how close they sound. Honestly, if I'm going to use price of the FLC8S as a basis, the Celeste should probably be priced at around $1,000, or maybe $1,500 max. I'm not trying to discredit Forrest's efforts, but I'm just calling it like I see it.

And in case anyone calls me a cheapo for suggesting a lower price, I actually bought a Dita Dream within the first hour of Canjam when it launches, making me the first retail customer worldwide. This is a $2,000 earphones and my most expensive single audio gear purchase (my second most expensive is my Hum Pristine custom at about $1,150, a far cry) to date. I'm not showing off, but want to point out that I'm willing to spend a crazy amount of money on something that is worth the price tag to me. 

While the Celeste sounds great, I do not think it's $2,000 great. I'm sure that there will be some who do, but I'm going to say it's going to be a niche. I will prefer to get the FLC8C at $650 paired with a $200 cable, than to get the Celeste at $2,000. The Beyerdynamic Xelento at $1,000, which some have complained is overpriced and I've tried at Canjam, would represent better value IMO.

In conclusion, I was a little, very slightly let down by the Celeste but that has nothing to do with the unit itself, but just more to do with how good the FLC8S was and my expectations that come with the $2,000 price tag.

Thanks for the insight. It looks like I can remove the Celeste from my watchlist. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back