FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #6,261 of 7,931
How's the cable on the FLC8S like? I was reading that the cables might pick up a lot of microphonics and it's keeping me back in getting these due to a bad experience ordering custom cables.

I got some custom cables for my TF10. It's great that they would work with FLC8s, but I made the mistake of getting them teflon insulated. They're so stiff that they take every chance to wack surfaces and the stiffness also aids in vibration transfer. This makes my heart sink everytime I think about the investment I made here.

What are the cables insulated with. I think I saw PU?

Mar 24, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #6,262 of 7,931
great
coz i wanted to get a cable with a mic/vol control
but didnt know if the expensive fancy sstuff was worth it
microphonics of the stock cable isnt that bothersome to moa

Where do you plan to buy a cable with microphone? Do you know how much it'll cost?

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #6,264 of 7,931
  How's the cable on the FLC8S like? I was reading that the cables might pick up a lot of microphonics and it's keeping me back in getting these due to a bad experience ordering custom cables.

I got some custom cables for my TF10. It's great that they would work with FLC8s, but I made the mistake of getting them teflon insulated. They're so stiff that they take every chance to wack surfaces and the stiffness also aids in vibration transfer. This makes my heart sink everytime I think about the investment I made here.

What are the cables insulated with. I think I saw PU?

The stock cable is pretty nice.
I understood the stock cable used to be quite stiff and microphonic, but not anymore. Somewhere in time FLC has made modifications to the cable it seems

I have a recent model and the supplied cable is fine.
It gave me the confidence to buy the FLC silver wire to run balanced, but that cable I would not recommend.
This cable is way to stiff and microphonic or comfortable use

My next step will be:
  1. Put a balanced connector on the stock cable to use for the FLC's to keep using balanced, which I like
  2. Put a 3,5 mm balanced connector on the silver balanced cable (on the headphone side of the cable), so this cable can be used with my Oppo PM3 (where a stiff cable would be less of a problem)

I understood this is possible and that there are others who have modded their cable.
Can you guys recommend doing this, or will I just ruin my cables?

Thanks for any tips/replys

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #6,265 of 7,931

1. Put a balanced connector on the stock cable to use for the FLC's to keep using balanced, which I like
  2. Put a 3,5 mm balanced connector on the silver balanced cable (on the headphone side of the cable), so this cable can be used with my Oppo PM3 (where a stiff cable would be less of a problem)

Yes you can, just make sure you reterminate it correctly. Follow the TF10 pin polarity, Ground should be 1 L- and 1 R- .  You should be good.

What do you mean by the second one? Don't quite get what you are trying to say..

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #6,266 of 7,931
  Yes you can, just make sure you reterminate it correctly. Follow the TF10 pin polarity, Ground should be 1 L- and 1 R- .  You should be good.

What do you mean by the second one? Don't quite get what you are trying to say..

thanks for your reply

The second one I mean; the silver cable has a 2,5 mm balanced (4 pole) plug one end and the pins that go into the FLC's at the other end
I want to cut of the pins at the IEM side and solder a 3,5 mm (4 pole) plug at this end.
This 3,5mm pin will fit in my Oppo PM3 headphones. The Oppo is internally wired for running balanced

makes sense?

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #6,267 of 7,931
  thanks for your reply

The second one I mean; the silver cable has a 2,5 mm balanced (4 pole) plug one end and the pins that go into the FLC's at the other end
I want to cut of the pins at the IEM side and solder a 3,5 mm (4 pole) plug at this end.
This 3,5mm pin will fit in my Oppo PM3 headphones. The Oppo is internally wired for running balanced

makes sense?

Yep, as long as there is 4 conductor and solder on the right terminal it should work! 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 28, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #6,268 of 7,931
Per the link it has 0.78 mm pins, too large for flc 8s. I found this cable from eBay seller aeroflugel... can't tell if he just has one that is being sold used or if he makes/retails them. Any experience? http://m.ebay.com/itm/272562341199?_mwBanner=1

From what I've read, the standard TF10 pins (0.75mm) are marginally too thick and could stretch out the port (0.74mm). People have suggested you can sand it down, but I personally don't know how feasible this is.

Besides the LMUE Silver Cable (and the FLC8 / FLC8s default cables) the SG Audio Hive cables seem to be the only ones explicitly claiming to fit the FLC8/S:

https://www.instagram.com/p/_6VhFVCIPb/
https://sgaudiohive.com/collections/cables

Thanks to both of you for the details 

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #6,270 of 7,931
I have the Vegas.

They're my first 'TOTL or thereabouts' IEMs. Not to say they are indicative of all TOTL options, but you don't *need* this level. Not if you can't be comfortable spending the money. I'm not 100% sure I am but screw it, I'm still young and single enough to not be fiscally responsible. It does make me realise how good the FLC8s are. You are absolutely right to demo since you have the opportunity (I do not). 

Not to say the Vegas aren't doing things the FLC8s can't do, because they are, and not just in the sense that (out of the box at least) they try to collapse your skull with bass. The mid-range is weird and remarkable in the sense that it's not forward, it can't be against that bass, but the clarity is still breathtaking. Particularly with vocal detail, backing vocals really come to life. But its not the same presentation as the FLC8 on the whole, objectively its an upgrade but not directly. I suspect aspects of the Vega will be divisive, by design. Definitely worth trying of course.

Have you said all that on the Vega thread? I got to borrow Vega for a week. They are good, but I didn't think they are extraordinary. When I said as much in the Vega thread, well let's just say they didn't take it well, lol...

No. *duck and run*

Depends on your setup whether or not you even have the potential to hear a difference imho. With a high fidelity setup, I can hear a difference. Use a low or mid tier DAP, abd all bets are off...

Finally, bro :wink_face:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back