FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Oct 10, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #5,131 of 7,931
Hi All,

Also, are there any dual flange tips that work really well with these guys that are fairly easy to purchase?

best,
Hank

MEE Audio (M6) dual flange are excellent. Easy to buy thru eBay or their site.

Oct 11, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #5,132 of 7,931
New audio dual/triple flange tips fit well.

question for FLC users who also use a chord mojo: at what volume colour does your mojo show? I'm just getting into the mojo again and per volume colours I'm seeing (25 clicks)the first button as blue and the second button a light purple; and according to chord chord's volume table that's on the higher level which has me a bit concerned about hearing.

Oct 11, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #5,133 of 7,931
New audio dual/triple flange tips fit well.

question for FLC users who also use a chord mojo: at what volume colour does your mojo show? I'm just getting into the mojo again and per volume colours I'm seeing (25 clicks)the first button as blue and the second button a light purple; and according to chord chord's volume table that's on the higher level which has me a bit concerned about hearing.

I get from the lowest, purple top and color change bottom-->color change for both top and bottom one step by one according to the Mojo color table-->white bottom and color change top. I usually have mine in the red, red zone depending on what music I listen to. I go into orange, orange or green,green territory when listening to quiet piano recordings or really old blues. I don't know about others, but I think purple top region is pretty low volume. Listening to heavily compressed EDM might be OK, but listening to pop in that region is way too low for me. I don't have much hearing loss, so I'm not one of those guys that need huge volume boost.

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #5,134 of 7,931
  I get from the lowest, purple top and color change bottom-->color change for both top and bottom one step by one according to the Mojo color table-->white bottom and color change top. I usually have mine in the red, red zone depending on what music I listen to. I go into orange, orange or green,green territory when listening to quiet piano recordings or really old blues. I don't know about others, but I think purple top region is pretty low volume. Listening to heavily compressed EDM might be OK, but listening to pop in that region is way too low for me. I don't have much hearing loss, so I'm not one of those guys that need huge volume boost.

thanks, willowbrook...
below is from rob watts in his reply, which i thought i'd share:

canali said ''guys sorry to ask but this volume table is for the hugo...I can't find a similar one for the mojo.''

1/found my volume setting is blue to purple-ish (using flc 8s...have a pretty good seal, too)
based on this table i'm a bit concerned.... am i going deaf? (this is when outside, walking around, however)

2/also find my battery life is not 8 hrs...more like 4-5 based on my listening so far....anyfind have similar experiences?

The color setting for Hugo and Mojo is the same - the only difference is below -43 dB and above +3dB the differing light scheme kicks in. Also you can see variations in the two balls color as it gets closer to the next level.

As for battery life, this depends upon how well charged it is, and whether you are using USB or optical/coax, how loud you play, and the impedance of the headphones. So driving 300 ohms, using optical, green volume, you will get 8 hours. Use USB it will be 6 and a half hours. Use a low impedance IEM, green volume, and it will get worse. Use an 8 ohm loudspeaker and you will get even lower battery life.

Rob

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #5,135 of 7,931

thanks, willowbrook...
below is from rob watts in his reply, which i thought i'd share:

The color setting for Hugo and Mojo is the same - the only difference is below -43 dB and above +3dB the differing light scheme kicks in. Also you can see variations in the two balls color as it gets closer to the next level.

As for battery life, this depends upon how well charged it is, and whether you are using USB or optical/coax, how loud you play, and the impedance of the headphones. So driving 300 ohms, using optical, green volume, you will get 8 hours. Use USB it will be 6 and a half hours. Use a low impedance IEM, green volume, and it will get worse. Use an 8 ohm loudspeaker and you will get even lower battery life.

Rob

Thanks for sharing, I find mine to be around 6 hours in the red region with my flc8s.

Oct 12, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #5,137 of 7,931
Hey guys, i'm quite new to the audiophile niche and i'm looking to upgrade from my shure 215s to a $300-$400 earphone. My source is a sony z5p phone with a hifime es9018 usb dac. My files are all either .flac (24bit 94), CD quality or 320mp3.

I'm looking to get either the shure 535 or flc 8s. (others are either insanely expensive with a ridiculous mark up or cost like $80 for shipping)

I personally really like the shure 535 sound, am not a basshead but listens music with a wide frequency range.

A shure 535 at$320 would be a safe bet for me but now i've seen the flc 8s, I can't say i'm not tempted.

My questions are,
1. can the flc 8s produce the shure signature silky smooth mids?

2. how do the two IEMs compare?

3. Are the flc 8s worth the extra $40-50(shipping included)?

4. How durable and isolating are the flc 8s when compared to shure se series?

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could help me out. Thanks!

Oct 12, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #5,138 of 7,931
The mids on the FLC8S are different - they aren't as lush (as the SE535), and are a little more prominent or forward in the mix.

The SE535 has a quite linear but well extended bass - it won't have the warmth or the thump of the SE215 (BA vs dynamic driver)

The FLC8S has a reasonable fit, but won't be as good as the SE535 in fit, isolation or ergonomics - especially coming from the SE215.

The FLC8S is far more configurable (tuning) so you will be more likely to find a combination which is closer to your overall tastes.

Disclaimer - I owned the SE535LE for 2 years, currently have the FLC8S (review sample), and have tried or owned all the Shure line-up except for the SE215 and SE846. 

Oct 12, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #5,139 of 7,931
Hmm. Very interesting. thanks for the reply brooko^.^

Can anyone testify on flc 8s' build quality and durability? My next IEM will be used for a few years, and i don't want them breaking out of warranty anytime soon.

What do you guys think about the value of the se535 (320-330usd) and flc 8s(358usd) which can i get more bang for my buck? ( in regards to clarity, separation, and soundstage)

And for those that have brought it, is the flc 8s' isolation good enough for noisy train/ plane/ bus rides?

Thanks in advance!
beerchug.gif

Oct 12, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #5,140 of 7,931
I owned both 535 & FLC8S, to me they are 2 differents specimens .
Technically FLC are better but when it comes to the sound it is really a matter of preferences:
535 are thicker, more intimate, typical shure vocal (lush, forward, sweet etc...) where FLC8 are airier with better stage, better bass (quality not quantity) and more extension in the highs. 

Fit & isolation are different too:
I liked 535 comfort & isolation with Comply while FLC8s are hybrid with dynamic driver so isolation is less and I sold them because of the fit/comfort which was nok for me (large nozzle)

I would not put $300/350 on SE535 as I feel something more recent like CA Nova are better for the same tonality
FLC8s are worth the money if you like this kind of sound signature & if isolation is not your n°1 criteria. Plus you can adjust the sound with filters, huge plus!

IMHO

Oct 12, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #5,141 of 7,931
Small question, is the isolation reduced due to the vented design? also, can the more isolating tips be used on the flc 8s? eg:frowning2: triple flange, shure foam olivers, complay foam)

Oh and also the flc 8s is pretty much the most i'm going to spend. over $400 usd for the CA NOVAs is quite simply too much for me. i've got quite a tight budget.

i'm probably going to look like an idiot here, but technically, since the sound signature of the flc 8s can be changed, shouldn't the flc 8s be able to fit most preferences for music? Then it really would be a pair of great iems with great flexibility to fit any pair of ears wouldn't it?

anyway, thanks for your help and suggestions, cololinho. i'm probably going to use my shure 215s for heavy transport and my flc 8s for indoors and more quiet environments. thanks! 
etysmile.gif

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #5,142 of 7,931
  Small question, is the isolation reduced due to the vented design? also, can the more isolating tips be used on the flc 8s? eg:frowning2: triple flange, shure foam olivers, complay foam)

Oh and also the flc 8s is pretty much the most i'm going to spend. over $400 usd for the CA NOVAs is quite simply too much for me. i've got quite a tight budget.

i'm probably going to look like an idiot here, but technically, since the sound signature of the flc 8s can be changed, shouldn't the flc 8s be able to fit most preferences for music? Then it really would be a pair of great iems with great flexibility to fit any pair of ears wouldn't it?

anyway, thanks for your help and suggestions, cololinho. i'm probably going to use my shure 215s for heavy transport and my flc 8s for indoors and more quiet environments. thanks! 
etysmile.gif

Cololinho pretty much nailed the impressions. It depends on your preferences. SE535 was tuned to be a mids machine, syrupy, lush, forward, intimate. Absolutely awesome for vocals. However, listening to it I craved more treble presence and extension, a bigger soundstage, and a more natural bass to my ears. Here is where the flexibility in FLC8S shines. I love how the subbass and midsbass can be separately tuned bcos everyone's bass preferences are different. However, in any configuration, the FLC8S mids cannot emulate the SE535 mids, because it is tuned towards a more detailed and airy presentation.

If you check out HifiChris' amazing review, he explores 7 possible tunings and their characteristics, from neutral, mid-centric, treblehead to basshead.

The vent for the dynamic driver reduces isolation somewhat, but also because its design is not as ergonomic as Shure's. Earlier in the thread, double-flange MEE tips are recommended and can be bought off eBay.

To me the FLC8S is one of the best IEMs for its budget, even without its tuning options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back