FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Mar 30, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #2,926 of 7,931
  Really really enjoying the grey-red-green at the moment. Definitely don't feel that the green is as hot now, and the extra air up top is definitely lovely. 

Yep, after they break in I find this to be the best combo for me as well
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #2,928 of 7,931
Have the original FLC8 unbraided cable and the new silver cable on the way, looking forward to comparing.  I also ordered some Spinfit tips to try on these as well as my RHA T20.

By the way, how many users get some driver flex with the red and gray bass plugs when inserting using the stock tips?  Forrest mentioned this earlier as not unusual, but I am a little concerned about damage to the driver over time.  I only get it on my left piece as my left ear canal is a little smaller than my right.

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #2,929 of 7,931
  Have the original FLC8 unbraided cable and the new silver cable on the way, looking forward to comparing.  I also ordered some Spinfit tips to try on these as well as my RHA T20.

By the way, how many users get some driver flex with the red and gray bass plugs when inserting using the stock tips?  Forrest mentioned this earlier as not unusual, but I am a little concerned about damage to the driver over time.  I only get it on my left piece as my left ear canal is a little smaller than my right.

I get bad driver flex each time I put them in... especially on right side. It even happens when moving it around and adjusting the seal! I'm a bit concerned as well. I'm using grey sub-bass, grey low, and gold treble. Tips are Sony Hybrids. 

Apr 1, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #2,931 of 7,931
I don't believe it is vented, depending on the plugs and nozzles that are used.  And I believe the venting would have to be on the part of the IEM that is not inserted into your ear in order to be effective.  The black overall bass filter does have a vent,  while the gray has only a very small vent.  And if you use the red sub-bass it is completely sealed.  This is how it extends deep bass.  Its like an acoustic suspension speaker, it extends bass deeper than a comparable ported design.  Porting a speaker gives overall increased bass response (this would correspond to the second (non-sub) bass filter.  That's why the black or no bass filter gives more overall bass.  Using the red sub-bass extends the sub-bass deeper.

I think driver flex is also somewhat dependent on the  individual and how the tips seal in the ears.  Often using foam tips helps as the pressure equilibrates more slowly but only if the foam stays compressed long enough to get them properly inserted.  Even then, if you adjust them again, you might get flex.

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #2,932 of 7,931
I don't believe it is vented, depending on the plugs and nozzles that are used.  And I believe the venting would have to be on the part of the IEM that is not inserted into your ear in order to be effective.  The black overall bass filter does have a vent,  while the gray has only a very small vent.  And if you use the red sub-bass it is completely sealed.  This is how it extends deep bass.  Its like an acoustic suspension speaker, it extends bass deeper than a comparable ported design.  Porting a speaker gives overall increased bass response (this would correspond to the second (non-sub) bass filter.  That's why the black or no bass filter gives more overall bass.  Using the red sub-bass extends the sub-bass deeper.

I think driver flex is also somewhat dependent on the  individual and how the tips seal in the ears.  Often using foam tips helps as the pressure equilibrates more slowly but only if the foam stays compressed long enough to get them properly inserted.  Even then, if you adjust them again, you might get flex.

Red ULF plug will cause the driver flex the most because it is closed. Others are actually vented, so there will be less driver flex. You must be careful when putting them in by gently pushing them. Open your mouth for an easier fit. It is also a good sign of seal and foam tips can help to prevent this.

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #2,933 of 7,931
Yes, correct.  I've been trying some Crystal foam tips, but didn't lessen it.  I may try going to the gray sub-bass and see if I can reduce or eliminate.  The Crystals really brought out the sub-bass so the gray may be a good match sound-wise too.  There seem to be mixed opinions if it can cause damage, most say not, but I sure don't like hearing the flex.

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #2,935 of 7,931
i'm a big fan of the red-grey-green and red-grey-gold combos. 75% with the green, 25% of the time with the gold. i don't find the treble hot at all with the green. and no driver flex with the red.

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #2,936 of 7,931
  i'm a big fan of the red-grey-green and red-grey-gold combos. 75% with the green, 25% of the time with the gold. i don't find the treble hot at all with the green. and no driver flex with the red.

Same here. Used to find the green extremely hot but now I love it. Strange how things change but yeah. Very much prefer it over the golds. That air up top and not-too-forward mids is verrrrrry addictive. 

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #2,937 of 7,931

Same here. Used to find the green extremely hot but now I love it. Strange how things change but yeah. Very much prefer it over the golds. That air up top and not-too-forward mids is verrrrrry addictive. 

Is it ever possible to get bored with the FLC's?? 
tongue.gif

Forrest could do a $150 version FLC5s 1BA+1DD to us who can't afford the FLC8s 
redface.gif

Apr 1, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #2,938 of 7,931

I see where you're going, but even the slight opening would give enough room for for air evacuate, even if its a multi chamber designed headphone. That's why I find it quite odd, but I guess, not impossible. 

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #2,939 of 7,931
What's the general consensus on driver flex? Is it damaging to the dynamic driver over time if it happens frequently? ....Or more of a harmless thing? 

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #2,940 of 7,931
  What's the general consensus on driver flex? Is it damaging to the dynamic driver over time if it happens frequently? ....Or more of a harmless thing? 

I've read somewhere that the drivers will give out much earlier before you can damage them with flexing. I'm not sure if it has been measure or some sort, but I don't think you have to worry.Try to put them on without having the dynamic drivers flex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back