FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #7,517 of 7,931
Anyone have the regular original blue copper cable in 2.5 balanced option that came with your flc earphone and willing to part with it? I originally got the 3.5 option and like the cable so now I want to try the balanced version in my new balanced dap. I would buy it if you have one extra and are not using it. The cable Can be the flc8s, flc8d, or flc8n version, I would be happy with any version As long as it has 2.5mm balanced plug.

If you have one let me know via pm, thanks!

By the way I love this hybrid earphone and the sound is perfect with the copper and silver upgrade cables both are great cables and it is totally worth buying the upgrade cable

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #7,518 of 7,931
So i just got the Spinfits cp145 and upon first listen with my flc8s it sounds quite similar to cp100. You loose extension on both ends and vocals take the center stage. This gives the illusion of better details but that's not really the case.

Now the real benifit of spinfits is not the sound but comfort. Stock black tips are not that comfortable and white tips doesn't fit that well.

Tl;dr : For better comfort it's worth it.

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #7,519 of 7,931
am selling my flc 8s...i just hate being tethered to wires as i walk around with my mojo/ipod touch6.

here's hoping that forrestwei will soon someday come out with a great sounding wireless version that can do high res.

Sep 25, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #7,520 of 7,931
After getting my flc8s back from repairs i am enjoying these a lot. These need a bassy source to shine according to my findings. Give these puppies a warm source with good recordings and these will sing.

So far my favorite comination is grey grey gold. My source le max x900 is mid bass heavy so i don't need red plugs. Using tidal hifi and the output is exeeding my expectations.

Sep 25, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #7,521 of 7,931
After getting my flc8s back from repairs i am enjoying these a lot. These need a bassy source to shine according to my findings. Give these puppies a warm source with good recordings and these will sing.

So far my favorite comination is grey grey gold. My source le max x900 is mid bass heavy so i don't need red plugs. Using tidal hifi and the output is exeeding my expectations.

Agree with this. I've been using mine with my Cayin i5, which is fairly warm, and they play very nicely together. This is one of the reasons I've never moved on from the FLC8s. There are so many ways to tweak the sound. Not only does it have the filter system, but it responds noticeably to different tips, cables, and sources so well. There's so many ways to find the sound you like.

Sep 25, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #7,522 of 7,931
Just wanted to provide a nice shout out to LMUE (Lend Me Ur Ears) in Singapore. They are the key stocking distributor for FLC, and that is where I go when I lose little pieces for my FLC8S. I also bought a bunch of FLC IEMs from them, and some upgraded balanced cables also.

Anyway, my cables started coming loose on my FLC8S pair, and they sent me a replacement set under warranty even before they received my defective parts. They replaced both the cables and the IEMs themselves. Wow, what great service.

So at the moment I have two nice pairs of FLC IEMs, the 8S and 8D. Still on the fence about the 8N; as I am tempted to pick up the ibasso IT04 next just to have a different sound signature in the collection.

By the way, because of the tuning choices I like (fairly neutral) the 8S and 8D sound pretty similar to me.

Have you bought IT04? how do they fare compared to FLC? I just got FLC today but wondering if I should return and go for IT04 if its worth.

Sep 26, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #7,524 of 7,931
Just want to share some initial impressions on the 8N. My impressions are quite positive, and I want to be careful with my writing, as I don't want to start any hype given the fact that I don't have many other IEMs in the price range to compare. Just the Senn IE80S and the Simgot EN700Pro. And I prefer the 8N over both those IEMs.

First things first, the tuning system. I don't like the bass tuning filters as they are made of rubber-like material and seem quite delicate for continuous swaps. Not only they could easily wear out, but if you are not careful when swapping them, you could easily lose them given their diminutive size and bouncy nature. Especially, DON'T CHANGE THE BASS FILTERS IN A ROOM WITH CARPET FLOORING. The mid-high filters are fine as they are screwable type and are made of metal. But I guess these things are no news for people who already own the 8S.

So the sound... in its default config (Grey, Grey, Gold), 8N has a balanced, slightly warm and a slightly laid-back sound. This kind of tuning is right up my alley. But for someone preferring a neutral sound with detailed treble, the default config will come across smooth and quite laid-back. The placement of the presentation is neither forward nor backward and the stage is very spacious. Definitely wider than deep. So the lateral separation of instruments is very good while the layering is average. The note structure is quite neutral with the right amount of warmth and body. It doesn't display any strong characteristics that would swing the crowd in one direction or the other. Also it is not too neutral to a point it is boring either. A balanced sound that works with most genres and allows for prolonged listening without fatigue is what it is. Actually, for people preferring an exciting sound might find this config a touch boring.

With the DD in place for bass, you do get the nice natural decay and sub-bass rumble. Its just a touch north of neutral and is slightly warm. Actually the warmth really is from the slightly-toned-down treble than the bass itself. The mid-range is sufficiently bodied without favouring either instruments or vocals. While the mid-range is far from being soft, it lacks just a bit of dynamics. Also the upper-midrange is a bit on the smoother side. If you are someone who prefers the female vocals to soar and string instruments to have some bite, the default config may not rock your boat. While the treble is not excellently linear, it doesn't have any annoying peaks in an aim to artificially boost articulation and resolution. The treble extension is average and so is the resolution. Again, this is a $350 IEM, so you can't expect high-end level performance here.

While this IEM doesn't achieve any unparalleled feats, I really can't seem to find any negative aspect about the IEM in terms of the sound. I will test other filters and report back later. For now, I am very much satisfied.
Nice review..... I am facing that issue with vocals (the depth of the vocal is not felt) These pairs are amazing if not. Will changing the filters help vocal depth? Which configuration do you suggest?

Sep 26, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #7,525 of 7,931
Hey Poison, what filter combinations are you using now? My guess is you MF/HF filter is gold. If so, try gunmetal. That is a pretty easy experiment. Or change the bass from grey to black but I think that is a more radical change.

For general awareness, I have my lightly used FLC8S (just back from a warranty replacement) for sale over on ebay for US buyers. I hope to consolidate to just the 8D. I love red ULF and grey LF, and that is the stock tuning of the 8D.

Sep 27, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #7,526 of 7,931
Nice review..... I am facing that issue with vocals (the depth of the vocal is not felt) These pairs are amazing if not. Will changing the filters help vocal depth? Which configuration do you suggest?

Thank you. Unfortunately, the mids on the 8N is a bit relaxed. With the Grey+Clear+Gold filters combo, the IEM becomes mid-centric to an extent. But it still wouldn’t give you the deep vocals you are hoping for.

Sep 27, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #7,527 of 7,931
Thank you. Unfortunately, the mids on the 8N is a bit relaxed. With the Grey+Clear+Gold filters combo, the IEM becomes mid-centric to an extent. But it still wouldn’t give you the deep vocals you are hoping for.
Thanks. Do you recommend any other iem(under $500) that can give good vocal depth and is equally good with 8N? I was thinking of IT04 but looks like it has the same issue.

Sep 27, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #7,528 of 7,931
Thanks. Do you recommend any other iem(under $500) that can give good vocal depth and is equally good with 8N? I was thinking of IT04 but looks like it has the same issue.

There are some general purpose threads where you might get better traction on this question.
I would suggest you identify one pair or IEMs that you like, and ask what are the current products that would match that profile.

Sep 27, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #7,529 of 7,931
I have the 8s and I can recommend the Toneking T66s for an upgrade on mid and high refinement to the 8s.

Sep 27, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #7,530 of 7,931
Do you recommend any other iem(under $500) that can give good vocal depth and is equally good with 8N?

If you find an answer to that, please come back and post it here. I think you'll struggle to find anything that truly beats the 8N or 8S for < $500. At least I haven't. Not yet.

I have the 8s and I can recommend the Toneking T66s for an upgrade on mid and high refinement to the 8s.

Thanks for the suggestion @thejoker13 - it's always useful to get feedback on what others consider an upgrade. Can you post some photos of the T66s with their tips removed, side-by-side with your 8s (for size comparison)? I own some ToneKing (T0200) earbuds, and they're really good. Fairly neutral, with no outrageous resonance peaks - no peaky treble or flabby bass. They're also very well built, with detachable mmcx cables - with most other manufacturers you'd struggle even to find an mmcx cable that good for that price :)

But the problem I have with most multi-BA IEMs is they're usually pretty large (Westone and the Rose Mini series are about the only exceptions to this), so getting a good fit/seal can be a crapshoot. The other issue is that in order to boost the upper treble, the nozzle diameters get very wide, creating even more problems for the fit/seal. Those T66s nozzles look quite chunky. Are they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back