FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Nov 9, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #5,326 of 7,931
In my question regarding impedance, I was more referring to the load impedance of the IEM, not the output impedance of the player.  At a given SNR of the player, I believe  (?) a lower impedance IEM is more likely to hiss than a higher impedance IEM, given similar sensitivities. 

I know, that's why the paragraph about the output impedance was not directed to you but just a generalisation because I've seen wrong conclusions about hiss being drawn within the past few days by members that put it into direct relation with the output impedance.
But yeah, your second sentence is what I then tried to explain.

I'm not sure the device you're referencing is anything more than an impedance adapter, but with two selectable resistors to be put in series with the IEM.

And this is fortunately what iEMatch is not.

I don't believe it affects the output impedance of the device, but does increase the load impedance that the device sees, thus changing the apparent sensitivity of the IEM, and possibly improving the achievable SNR and dynamic range.  I would avoid using this unless I needed to because of hiss being audible during playback.  As you mentioned many IEM's (especially but not only hybrids) will have varying impedance with frequency, and this device could alter the frequency response.  It might be better or it might be worse, but in any case the IEM wouldn't sound as designed.

For the in-ear, an impedance adapter is seen like an increased output impedance on the player's side. That's also why impedance adapters should be avoided in combination with in-ears that don't have a flat impedance response.
As now mentioned for the third time, the iEMatch does not only really on an increased impedance. I unfortunately don't know what it does exactly, but I've measured its effect on the micro iDSD and to my knowledge, the iEMatch adapter has adopted the same circuit as it was also the case with other iFi products.
In fact, the resistance is even lower with the highest damping than with the medium damping setting. If you don't believe me, look it up in its manual or look at some measurements of the iEmatch circuit in the micro iDSD.

That's what makes it so interesting and useful and not just any other regular adapter that purely relies on an added resistance.

Nov 9, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #5,327 of 7,931
I know, that's why the paragraph about the output impedance was not directed to you but just a generalisation because I've seen wrong conclusions about hiss being drawn within the past few days by members that put it into direct relation with the output impedance.
But yeah, your second sentence is what I then tried to explain.
And this is fortunately what iEMatch is not.
For the in-ear, an impedance adapter is seen like an increased output impedance on the player's side. That's also why impedance adapters should be avoided in combination with in-ears that don't have a flat impedance response.
As now mentioned for the third time, the iEMatch does not only really on an increased impedance. I unfortunately don't know what it does exactly, but I've measured its effect on the micro iDSD and to my knowledge, the iEMatch adapter has adopted the same circuit as it was also the case with other iFi products.
In fact, the resistance is even lower with the highest damping than with the medium damping setting. If you don't believe me, look it up in its manual or look at some measurements of the iEmatch circuit in the micro iDSD.

That's what makes it so interesting and useful and not just any other regular adapter that purely relies on an added resistance.

Interesting. As I said I am not an expert on this stuff and I don't quite understand what that device does. I don't see how it could affect the output impedance of a source. If it works for you, great. I wasn't trying to be confrontational. I was just trying to offer an opinion based on what I know, which is limited, and why I qualified what I said. If your knowledge is superior, I defer. I'm not really that interested in the device,as I have no need for it. You seem quite convinced of the technology behind it based on measurements, which is cool. Peace and enjoy.

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #5,328 of 7,931

Did you even try to fully read and understand my last three posts? As to me, it does not entirely seem so.
I was just trying to be helpful and to explain the hiss, SNR and impedance thingies to you, and to give a general statement about the matter.
I probably shouldn't have wasted my precious time writing these lengthy replies, with the only purpose being to offer an insight to your question that I answered in detail. Nonetheless your direct reply to it didn't seem like you even read it completely.

Your last post doesn't seem like you read my last reply either, else you wouldn't have made the assumption that I have got and am using the iEMatch adapter (that I will by the way probably really buy as soon as it is available here, as it can be an effective solution to reducing hiss and the power output of a certain device without messing with the output impedance as it is not relying on resistors but a more complex voltage divider, buffer or something like that).

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #5,330 of 7,931
So I just recieved my FLC8s from Shenzhen Audio.
Funny little story: The mail man just told me that I have import taxes to pay. Right on the spot. In hindsight, spending my change yesterday was a terrible idea. Luckily my local bank is just 800m away. (And a DHL station is just next to it)
So he picked me up for a 200m ride. He told me that he was waiting at the pick-up station. After that, came the most insane half naked sprint of my life. Record time transaction. Another world-record sprint to the pick-up station. The guy just laughed his ass off. We fistbumped. Payed him the money. Gold-medal worthy stuff, right here.

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #5,331 of 7,931
Funny little story: The mail man just told me that I have import taxes to pay. Right on the spot. In hindsight, spending my change yesterday was a terrible idea. Luckily my local bank is just 800m away. (And a DHL station is just next to it)
So he picked me up for a 200m ride. He told me that he was waiting at the pick-up station. After that, came the most insane half naked sprint of my life. Record time transaction. Another world-record sprint to the pick-up station. The guy just laughed his ass off. We fistbumped. Payed him the money. Gold-medal worthy stuff, right here.

haha awesome!

Be sure to post your opinion, im really looking forward to some celeste news aswell. These FLC IEM's seem to be highly regarded!

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #5,332 of 7,931
haha awesome!

Be sure to post your opinion, im really looking forward to some celeste news aswell. These FLC IEM's seem to be highly regarded!

I will not comment on the sound for now, but fitment is great for me. Isolation is better then I expected. The cable however is terrible. Starting with Red-Grey-Grey.

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #5,333 of 7,931

What shipping method did you use?

Nov 11, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #5,339 of 7,931

I always avoid dhl and hate them......they steal our hard earned money in the name of customs on top of the s/h charges they beg us to pay.shame :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back