FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Jun 24, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #4,276 of 7,931
IMO,measurements aren't all that useful with IEM's. For me the 8S is a fair step ahead of the 2002, but ears and opinions differ. I had a decent audition of the 2002 and was rather disappointed, but we all hear differently.

definitely disappointed in the bass so far. 2 dynamic drivers and that's all they tuned it for? oye. sigh.

Jun 24, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #4,277 of 7,931
hey guys, so as noted i might spring for these (used pair)
...is the stock blue braided cable decent? or should i go for some upgrade by lume or someone?

This is a question only you can answer. The 8S cable is very capable sonically, but it's ergonomics could be better. Many are fine with it, others not. I'd say give it a try, then decide. The original FLC8 cable is very good and and a lot easier to live with, should you have problems.

Jun 24, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #4,279 of 7,931
This is a question only you can answer. The 8S cable is very capable sonically, but it's ergonomics could be better. Many are fine with it, others not. I'd say give it a try, then decide. The original FLC8 cable is very good and and a lot easier to live with, should you have problems.

Not a fan of the memory wire on the FLC8S stock cable so I agree the ergonomics are lacking. May have to try the original cable

Jun 24, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #4,280 of 7,931
I was looking closely at the sub bass plugs and wondering how they actually work since they are hard and not a soft porous material for sound to travel through.. I realized is how they work is they actually likely prevent the dynamic drivers movement. If you look at the different pieces they are different lengths beyond the flange point. Kind of like packing a sealed subwoofer with foam, they work the same way. They block the amount of air flow making it tighter. 

That said, I really love these IEM's. The soundstage is slightly small but the detail and clarity is just beyond me. I'm going to email FLC and see about getting the original cable because I hate this stock cable.. I've tried the silver upgrade and I hate it. It sounds better but it is horrible. Its my opinion anyways. 

This IEM really is the best buy for the money as far as audio goes. Headphones, IEM's, speakers, anything. They are amazing. Nay, astonishing. They tickle my ear buttons every single time I listen to them. Unlike mother other high end IEM's that can either blow your mind or suck depending on the source and more specifically the song, these shine no matter what I throw at them. 

Jun 25, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #4,281 of 7,931
That said, I really love these IEM's. The soundstage is slightly small but the detail and clarity is just beyond me. I'm going to email FLC and see about getting the original cable because I hate this stock cable.. I've tried the silver upgrade and I hate it. It sounds better but it is horrible. Its my opinion anyways. 

The Null Audio Arête is working for me and some others here. A bit longer and better feel. Patience required for delivery, though.

Jun 25, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #4,283 of 7,931
IMO,measurements aren't all that useful with IEM's. For me the 8S is a fair step ahead of the 2002, but ears and opinions differ. I had a decent audition of the 2002 and was rather disappointed, but we all hear differently.

I also enjoy FLC8S more than DN2002 for sound but mostly due to ergonomic mismatch of DN2002 + my ears.

definitely disappointed in the bass so far. 2 dynamic drivers and that's all they tuned it for? oye. sigh.

FLC8S bass is pretty impressive. I think you'd enjoy DK4001 bass more.

Jun 25, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #4,284 of 7,931

Mind if I be "that" guy and ask for a link? Have any pics of yours? 

https://www.null-audio.com/collections/iem-headphone-cable/products/arete-series-mkii-replacement-cable-for-earphones (I got the full nylon black version - see pic - because I thought it would be the least microphonic and I have not had issues with that, but it is a bit thicker.)

FWIW, I thought the pins fit fine and another happy red-grey-gold user here.

Jun 25, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #4,285 of 7,931
1/ anyone ever use this 'ear candi' to try to get a better seal with their iems, vs different tips or going custom?

https://earcandi.com/

https://earcandi.com/how-it-works/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuPeVhnNZeg&ab_channel=earcandi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yZ2cwOnN1Y&ab_channel=Mrwhosetheboss

2/anyone ever get custom moulds for their iems...i know that for knoble that  there is a local audiologist who does their moulds...
but will also of course for $150 do moulds for most iems....anyone ever gone this route?

Jun 25, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #4,289 of 7,931
I was looking closely at the sub bass plugs and wondering how they actually work since they are hard and not a soft porous material for sound to travel through.. I realized is how they work is they actually likely prevent the dynamic drivers movement. If you look at the different pieces they are different lengths beyond the flange point. Kind of like packing a sealed subwoofer with foam, they work the same way. They block the amount of air flow making it tighter. 

This IEM really is the best buy for the money as far as audio goes. Headphones, IEM's, speakers, anything. They are amazing. Nay, astonishing. They tickle my ear buttons every single time I listen to them. Unlike mother other high end IEM's that can either blow your mind or suck depending on the source and more specifically the song, these shine no matter what I throw at them. 

The sub bass filters essentially work like the port on ported loudspeakers. The red one totally blocks the driver vent, giving you the equivalent o a sealed box speaker design. Sealed box speakers actually extend deeper into the sub bass than an equivalent ported design. Ported designs are popular because they typically have higher sensitivity and give the impression of more bass, but it is actually mid and upper bass, with a steeper roll off in to the sub bass.

If you decide on the original FLC8 cable email lendmeurears.com, not FLC. They will provide you with ordering information and you can have your cable in a few days.

Jun 25, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #4,290 of 7,931
I also enjoy FLC8S more than DN2002 for sound but mostly due to ergonomic mismatch of DN2002 + my ears.

FLC8S bass is pretty impressive. I think you'd enjoy DK4001 bass more.

switching to comply tips from the stock spinfits definitely kicked up the bass significantly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back