Flawless headphones under $500
Sep 17, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #31 of 42
I think the HD-650 is a great place to start, as well. Only catch is that you have to power them with something adequate... which can end up going over your budget.

ast - the DT150 has my attention, too. I've read lots of good things about it and it's high on my list for the next headphone. Maybe a Christmas gift to myself this year!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #32 of 42
I think a receiver is the cheapest way to get adequate power into high impedance senns. My audiolab integrated powers the hd600 to kingdom come
biggrin.gif
Waaaay more power than the gilmore lite. Just slightly less refined and adds a little hiss and BASS
smile.gif

Let me add... Maybe a crappy receiver however will have a crappy sound though. My audiolabs are far from crappy though and the caps inside were upgraded too so this might explain some of my past raves on how they sounded with my AD2000s and HD600s

Sep 17, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, he did say flawless. So I recommended an audiophile approved bassy can so that you have something great for movies at the same time. a900s are not really that good but might work if the word flawless wasn't put in the title
biggrin.gif

Actually, if they've been re-cabled and dampened/modded inside the cups by -=Germania=- then they are actually very good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #34 of 42
It's really frustrating when people recommend things that they haven't heard or don't take the ops rig into account...I know the 650s are awesome phones, but they will be really underpowered in his rig...

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you say underpowered? Hes using a receiver

The headphone out of a receiver does not usually provide very good quality amplification.
Vintage gear from the 70's and 80's often do though.

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #37 of 42
Actually, what receiver is the OP using by the way? The ones I have all do good with my hd600s which is why I recommended the 650s for a receiver since its only supposed to be slightly less efficient than the 600s and of the same impedance (even the impedance curve is the same). The gain on my receivers and integrated amp is pretty much not a bottleneck for the hd600s which is supposedly only a little less efficient than the 650s.

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #38 of 42
Im using a denon avr-988. Are the hd650s that power hungry? Do you see what I mean when I say no owner seems happy? Out of the thousands of headphones created no one can recommend one without being contradicted.

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #39 of 42
The denons should be fine. The problem with some people recommending things are that they only think for their own tastes. I was sort of giving you something thats unarguably a high end can that you can upgrade your system around if you wish yet can be powered adequately by your amp and suit your movie/gaming/music needs now at the same time. I would have said hd600 if it were for my tastes but for movies and games I was thinking the same signature with more bass wouldn't be a bad thing. What do you think?
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by notoriousmatty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I have a dilemma . Should I get the SENN hd595 with a darkvoice 336i amp or just a pair of senn hd 650's for the same price?

How about a pair of HD650 from J&R Music for $280 after the $50 rebate for sending Sennheiser some old cheap ear buds, and $245 + shipping for that used 336i?

My 336i is really good with my HD600, so I think it would be a good match for the HD650 too (although I like the HD600 more and sold my HD650).

Sep 18, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #42 of 42
I dont think the 595s will satisfy you with whatever amp unless you are okay with much less bass. The hd600s are great like HeadphoneAddict said but for the bass lover, get the hd650s since your music use is only 10% anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back