Flawless headphones under $500
Sep 16, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #16 of 42
Why not just send the D2000s for warranty service? They shouldn't fall apart after a few months.

Sep 16, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, he did say flawless. So I recommended an audiophile approved bassy can so that you have something great for movies at the same time. a900s are not really that good but might work if the word flawless wasn't put in the title
biggrin.gif

I was more thinking in the line of "as flawless as possible for the purpose".
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strange recommendation, I am pretty sure the HD650 are mostly appreciated by serious music listeners, exactly the opposite of what the OP claims to be.
I'd recommend more something in the line of ATH A900.

I get what he means, since the hd650 have great soundstage with an emphasis on bass and they are very smooth they are versatile both for music and movies. Even though it is definitely a serious headphone, some of its characteristics fit very well to the casual consumer.

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #19 of 42
Koss ESP/950 are easily the best headphones I've heard in the ~500$ range. Even with the included stock amp which is not highly regarded, they smoke most of the dynamic headphones I've heard. Recabled with Stax cable and plugged into a good amp (KGSS in my case), they enter in the high-end territory. On top of that, you get the awesome no questions asked lifetime warranty from Koss, what more could you ask.
o2smile.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #20 of 42
There's no such thing in the world as a flawless headphone, anyone looking for it is looking for an oxymoron. Even something the closest to being neutral and well-balanced like the HD-650 has some sort of weakness like the lack of speed. The only headphone you can find is one that fits your preference perfectly.

Sep 16, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #21 of 42
Thanks everyone for your responses. I guess I prefer a warm sounding headphone with a decent amount of bass compared to a headphone that has great highs and clarity. My denons were pretty balanced in that regard the only problem being treble. Voices in movies would sound distorted at times for example. But the soundstage was terrific partly because they were a closed headphone. So something that is very warm but not overly bassy would be my taste. And BUILD QUALITY is now a major factor as well. I didnt know 250 + headphones fell apart like that. so nothing made in china anymore.

Sep 16, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by notoriousmatty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everyone for your responses. I guess I prefer a warm sounding headphone with a decent amount of bass compared to a headphone that has great highs and clarity. My denons were pretty balanced in that regard the only problem being treble. Voices in movies would sound distorted at times for example. But the soundstage was terrific partly because they were a closed headphone. So something that is very warm but not overly bassy would be my taste.

In that case the Kenwood KH K1000 might be your ticket.
Too bassy maybe, but still worth checking out. They are extremely allround.

Sep 16, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #24 of 42
My favorite headphones in this general price range (unmodded and single ended) are the Audio Technica AD2000 and Denon D5000. Both are slightly over $500 (like about $525-ish at pricejapan.com). For my tastes, the AD2000 do the trick for me 6 times out of 10 and the Denons hit the right spot the other 4 times.

I prefer either to the K701, HD650, or Grados, Beyers and Ultrasones in the $500-ish or less price range. OTOH, most of those are in the $200-$300 price range, so I wouldn't expect them to be as good - and they're not - to my ears.

Sep 16, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #25 of 42
The AD2000s arent bad either but if I base things on my tastes before becoming a hardcore audio nut, Ive got a feeling the ad2000 would have been too thin in the bass region for me which is the reason for my hd650 recommendation.

Sep 16, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #26 of 42
I think im leaning towards the hd650's. JRs is having a good sale on these. 330 plus 50 dollar mail in rebate. I think im gonna pull the trigger. Anybody wanna buy a pair of denon 2000s with the right ear can fall off problem? haha. I just dont have the tolerance for a poorly built headphone and refuse to keep them.

Sep 16, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by notoriousmatty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think im leaning towards the hd650's. JRs is having a good sale on these. 330 plus 50 dollar mail in rebate. I think im gonna pull the trigger. Anybody wanna buy a pair of denon 2000s with the right ear can fall off problem? haha. I just dont have the tolerance for a poorly built headphone and refuse to keep them.

did you get my message?

Sep 17, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #30 of 42
hehehehe I think know what the OP means though. Somehow the force was strong within me when he posted this thread
wink.gif

Notoriousmatty,
You can shoot me if you hate the hd650s, I take full responsibility hehehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back