Flawless headphones under $500
Sep 16, 2008 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

notoriousmatty

New Head-Fier
After months of browsing this forum and looking for the perfect headphone it seems every headphone has some sort of flaw. I purchased a pair of Denon 2000s and while the sound quality was decent they fell apart within one month of use. Im going through a high end denon receiver with 70% movies 20% games and 10% music. So whats generally the highest regarded headphone at this price ( i wont be buying or using a different amp than my receiver).
atsmile.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #2 of 42
There are no flawless headphones. The only headphone I have never heard a complaint about is the Audio Technica ATH-L3000 but I'm sure you'll find someone willing to prove me wrong on those as well. They'll set you back at least 3000$ though.
popcorn.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #3 of 42
3k is a bit more than what I expect to spend, at least at my age now haha. Well I guess some phones have some flaws that are worse then others. how about I say the least amount of flaws. I looked into the beyerdynamic 990s 2005 edition but a fair amount of people complain of piercing highs. Grados sr325i are too bright and are uncomfortable. I just cant seem to find a happy owner.

Sep 16, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are no flawless headphones. The only headphone I have never heard a complaint about is the Audio Technica ATH-L3000 but I'm sure you'll find someone willing to prove me wrong on those as well. They'll set you back at least 3000$ though.
popcorn.gif

Oh there are flaws even with the L3000, at least to the extent that there are other phones out there that do some things better than the L3000. Also the fact that the L3000 is a closed phone produces problems of it's own. I've setteled on the combo of the L3000 and the GS-1000 and for me that covers all bases.

Sep 16, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #6 of 42
The existence of Head-fi proves that all headphones are flawed.

Sep 16, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The existence of Head-fi proofs that all headphones are flawed.

Well said my friend
o2smile.gif

Just look at my golden sr325i's..
frown.gif

That's my fakesmile, to overcome the pain for paying that much for them..
smily_headphones1.gif

Happy again.. Manic depression or something similar..?

Sep 16, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #10 of 42
It isn't about being flawed or more accurately less flawed; it is about fit for purpose and different likes, dislikes and preferences. Some fons are forward and agresssive (Grados) others have warmer sound sig (Senns), some are detailed and/or emphasis on highs, etc etc, and then there is closed, open, and then there are the comfort issues, and then there is durability (seriously fell apart after 1 month?) and other parameters (like asthetics).
Which headphoes are less flawed is simply another way of asking which are best. And that is a highly subjective question. Which car is best? Two seater sports coupe, or four wheel drive seven seater; V8 or turbo charged 4 etc etc. @ $500 or thereabouts, it isn't about which is best, it is about what suits your preferences. The OP needs to identify what is important to him, and then get Headfiers opinions on what might be the OP's holy grail for $500. I like my Proline 550s and I like my AD900s, but they are very different fons based on sound signature.

Cheers and good luck with your headphone journey. And just like life, it is the journey that counts, the destination may not be all it is cracked up to be.

Sep 16, 2008 at 10:54 AM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get some hd650s, they should be great for your purposes

With all due respect, what purposes? Listening at home through a reciever is all we have, oh and Denon D2000 sounded alright before they fell apart. How about a K701, or Pro 750, or 325i, or Beyer, or ...........

The OP needs to identify what sound characteristics might be most important to him, plenty of people don't feel the HD650 is for them. A great fon granted, but not everyones cup of tea.

Sep 16, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #13 of 42
From what he wrote, i put down hd650s because I just assume the non demanding listener will more likely like a bassy headphone with a good soundstage for games and movies which is the most he will use them for. He listed 10% for music which might be more demanding on a quality amp and maybe balancing the hd650s for maximum performance. From the looks of it though, it seems like the hd650 should be a good start from the detail of his post

Sep 16, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what he wrote, i put down hd650s because I just assume the non demanding listener will more likely like a bassy headphone with a good soundstage for games and movies which is the most he will use them for. He listed 10% for music which might be more demanding on a quality amp and maybe balancing the hd650s for maximum performance. From the looks of it though, it seems like the hd650 should be a good start from the detail of his post

Strange recommendation, I am pretty sure the HD650 are mostly appreciated by serious music listeners, exactly the opposite of what the OP claims to be.
I'd recommend more something in the line of ATH A900.

Sep 16, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #15 of 42
well, he did say flawless. So I recommended an audiophile approved bassy can so that you have something great for movies at the same time. a900s are not really that good but might work if the word flawless wasn't put in the title
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back