Flats now $35 ?!
Jan 7, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HI Tommarra,

That is very interesting as I am the only one other than Joe Grado who is authorized to have them made and sell the official Grado pads...

Todd

But there is the possibility that they were used- meaning the 'original' owner bought them from you or Grado.

Jan 7, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
It seems unreasonable to create a topic calling Todd out for raising the price of one of his products by $5.

I was just curious, that's all. I'm happy I got this answer, it makes sense after all. I guess I should be glad we can all save $15 by buying them from Todd instead of Joe Grado.

My only complaint would be that the slits aren't cut cleanly enough, I had to finish them myself with a X-acto.

Jan 8, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey fkclo, did you receive the HP2 you won by $20 ( I was the one who bidded just under you :p ) on Audiogon ?

Killercrush: the HP2 was actually shipped to a fellow head-fier in New York who has given it a good listen before it was sent on the way to me (because the seller did not want to ship outside USA). It will be with me sometime this week. According to the listening impression it is a real genuine HP-2 in mint condition (except that the pads has degraded after the years). The Seller, although new to Audiogon, was actually doing a good job packing and he shipped fast!

A small secret - my set ceiling price was actually way above yours :)

I was keen because I want to have a backup pair of HP2. My current one is working fine but it is not in top notch cosmetic condition and so something better is always on my mind.

F. Lo

Jan 8, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #21 of 35
Looks like I slid in under the wire here. I got mine shipped to Turkey two weeks ago for the then-price of $30. Came in a ziploc bag, which was wonderful. An absence of such goods had me, later that same night, storing cut celery in that same bag. Thanks for some great pads, Todd. I imagine you'll keep on selling them for $35. Head-Fi can take a little pushing now and again.

Apr 6, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #22 of 35
I, too, was surprised at the price. Not at Todd for charging it, just that y'know, they're just foam.

But I ordered the other day, got 'em very quickly, and they sound great. Totally worth it. And great service by Todd, as usual.

Apr 7, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #24 of 35
This thread served as a timely reminder to me that I need to order a set of Grado flats from Todd, which I've just done. Did the increase in price of the flats by $5 affect my decision to buy them? It did not alter my decision to buy the flats. However, in bringing the topic to my attention, it did provide the occasion for my actually ordering this item. Thanks very much for the helpful reminder, everyone!

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #25 of 35
I received my TTVJ Grado Flat pads today, and they are, indeed, a worthy addition to my collection of Grado pads (comfies modded to the same shape of the Flats, Bowls, squashed Bowls, HD414 pads modded to the same shape of the Flats) - and now, real Flats. The foam in the Flats is slightly thicker and firmer/denser than the foam in the comfies or the HD414 pads. This means that the drivers are stably supported a little further from the ear than with modded HD414 pads, which tunes the sound differently from any of the other Grado pads in my collection. It's closest to the modded HD414 pads, but with the spectral energy shifted moderately from the bass to the midrange and a noticeably wider soundstage. The TTVJ Grado Flats are a worthy tuning tool for a set of ALO-modded SR225's that I find to be the most all-around competent phones I've ever had the pleasure to use in my listening. The Flats are well worth their price for use with these phones.

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #26 of 35
That sounds like a nice accurate description, I have experienced this too when I switched from the modded HD414 pads to the flats on my SR100, the flats have been there since, I'll never need anything else... maybe another pair of these $35 Grado hockey pucks.

Apr 13, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would agree as my flats just arrived today. Without this thread, I probably would not have given them a try.

This thread seems to be acting as an unnecessary advertisement, I ended up ordering a pair too
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread seems to be acting as an unnecessary advertisement, I ended up ordering a pair too
wink.gif

Haha it looks like I slightly drained everyone's wallet ! ; )

Apr 13, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #30 of 35
nice to see flats getting some attention again. For me, grados are far from a pleasurable experience without flat pads. with bowls and even HD414's, I can't hear the music, all I can pay attention to is this glaring treble, jabbing me in the face. Once the flats go on, everything smooths back out to normal, and there is the soul of the music staring at me to appreciate.

My only complaint with their sound is that the bass gets a bit boomy. but i'll take that over the artifacts produced by the other pads. just my 2 cent rant....
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back