FlaresPro/FlaresGold by Flare Audio
Feb 17, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #301 of 1,354
One particular device I'm waiting for, is the Sony XZ Pro/Premium 2 or whatever Sony names their 4k flagship phone this year, which certainly will have Bluetooth 5 on the Snapdragon 845. So, all I'll need to do is research for the high quality aptx models that are not full of bass. Its why I'd really like to see Flare have a Bluetooth 5 updated model, though thats not to say there is anything particularly wrong with the FlaresPro Bluetooth. Again, its my noticing differences between Bluetooth 4 and the 3.5mm input that has me avoiding Bluetooth until the wider bandwidth Bluetooth 5 has supporting models using aptx.

Well I have just upgraded my HTC U11 to Android 8.0 which has Bluetooth 5 supporting aptx HD and want to buy these so watch this space. :)

Feb 17, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #302 of 1,354
I'm definitely not being critical of the FlaresPro Bluetooth feature, and I recognize that many have, including you, mentioned it being very good. With that said, my issue is not with the FlaresPro Bluetooth, but rather Bluetooth in general. I'm just not impressed with the sound quality of Bluetooth I've listened to on other earphones, and have decided to wait until Bluetooth 5 aptx or aptx hd devices become available.

Current Bluetooth A2DP has easily enough bandwidth for aptX (352 kbps) and aptX HD (576 kbps). Even the 10-year-old Bluetooth 2.x + EDR standard offered up to 2100 kbps.

From my experience, the main problem is implementation. To give an example, aptX HD on LG's audiophile V30 flagship sounds worse than on their run-of-the-mill G6 model. And regular aptX on my 5-year-old Samsung Galaxy S3 sounds better than regular aptX on both recent LG models. All personally tested, with the same Astell & Kern XB10 receiver.

Bottom line, you can find great and not-so-great Bluetooth implementations. If the FlaresPro belongs to the former, there's no reason to wait for Bluetooth 5.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #305 of 1,354
Flares Pro Gold!

Have people seen Flare Audio's new offering? Claims to be better, refined design and of course gold plated..

If people see reviews of this one, please post them up. Not that I'd buy some at the price...

Feb 23, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #307 of 1,354
An advert from Flare just appeared in my inbox about the Flares Gold. I'll use Aussie dollars as my reference.

With the current exchange rate the Flares Pro are $AUS624. The Flares Gold are $AUS1784. That's three times the price and puts them firmly in the top end of dynamic driver iems as far as price goes. Looking at the specs I can't see too much difference so are they really going to be that much better? I can get the Campfire Audio Vegas (also DD iems) for slightly less money from overseas. Are Flare saying that these compare? Let's see what happens with reviews.

Feb 23, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #308 of 1,354
I ordered the audiophile ear tips from flare ,they come in a pack of three pairs ,they told me on the phone that they are better quality than the ones that come in the box and will last longer,they seem much better to me,not in sound but as in wear and tear
I see the flare gold is available,anyone who bought the flare pro gets a golden ticket of 349 pound taken off the price,they are £999

I bought the earfoams too - definately better quality. Mine have lasted about 4 months so far! Better than the two days of the originals . I do however always do the wet my ear, then lick the foam thing to lubricate them when putting them in (as gross as that may be to some) which I feel puts a lot less strain on them, they easily slide in.

I didn't notice the price of the Flares off, the Golds. I wonder if they have a 30 day return too.

Feb 23, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #309 of 1,354
I bought the earfoams too - definately better quality. Mine have lasted about 4 months so far! Better than the two days of the originals . I do however always do the wet my ear, then lick the foam thing to lubricate them when putting them in (as gross as that may be to some) which I feel puts a lot less strain on them, they easily slide in.

I didn't notice the price of the Flares off, the Golds. I wonder if they have a 30 day return too.
Yes they have a 30 day return on them as well just like the flare pro

Feb 23, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #310 of 1,354
Screenshot_20180223-120017.png

Feb 23, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #311 of 1,354
I just think they are high on crack.

It can have the same color as the precious metal gold, but it's not made of it.

Crazy price for pratically the same earphones.
I bought the first generation and I am glad till now with the sound, but this one will be waiting forever.

Feb 23, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #312 of 1,354
I just think they are high on crack.

It can have the same color as the precious metal gold, but it's not made of it.

Crazy price for pratically the same earphones.
I bought the first generation and I am glad till now with the sound, but this one will be waiting forever.

I think the flarespro are severely underrated , they are awesome buds and well worth the asking price in my eyes....but there not £999 buds gold plated or not.

Feb 23, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #315 of 1,354
Me neither, but it does look like a slightly different housing with a bulge in the middle.

To create a high end or luxury model is not crazy, is just like say Astell Kern making copper version and charging more - relatively common in the field of audio for audiophiles.

Shame how it goes against everything Davis said to me ages ago when talking about Flares , that his strategy was to make an earphone that blew much away but for £100 and sell lots. And have a fancy model with Bluetooth etc for about £350 (Flares Pro).

This goes in the opposite direction but then maybe he's trying everything to find his feet in the market, does he go for audio quality but hard to establish brand image at lower pricing, or go for a bling market and draw some richer customers in?

Or maybe they're only going to be available to current customers.. Trade-in offer only available for 60 days from today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back