FlaresPro/FlaresGold by Flare Audio
Feb 24, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #317 of 1,354
Me neither, but it does look like a slightly different housing with a bulge in the middle.

To create a high end or luxury model is not crazy, is just like say Astell Kern making copper version and charging more - relatively common in the field of audio for audiophiles.

Shame how it goes against everything Davis said to me ages ago when talking about Flares , that his strategy was to make an earphone that blew much away but for £100 and sell lots. And have a fancy model with Bluetooth etc for about £350 (Flares Pro).

This goes in the opposite direction but then maybe he's trying everything to find his feet in the market, does he go for audio quality but hard to establish brand image at lower pricing, or go for a bling market and draw some richer customers in?

Or maybe they're only going to be available to current customers.. Trade-in offer only available for 60 days from today.
Your all judging Davies before you have even heard the flare gold,try them out first you can always return them,I got a email off flare and they said the new model will blow me away,far better than the flare pro,now of course they would say that but with the 30 days money back,don't think they would sell many if it weren't better

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #318 of 1,354
Your all judging Davies before you have even heard the flare gold,try them out first you can always return them,I got a email off flare and they said the new model will blow me away,far better than the flare pro,now of course they would say that but with the 30 days money back,don't think they would sell many if it weren't better

Fair point ...but £999 Compared to £350. and also has the tech changed at all not just the finish? If so then how hard is it to make an upgrade in tech in the titanium only model? And would gold plating realy make such a difference?.
Flarespro are honestly one of my favourite audio products I have bought in the last 5 years I recommend these iems to anyone who asks, bur there not without faults.. Getting the fit right is hard but once found the right tips/depth/position they are easy.
They also can sound thin/ tizzy with bad recordings and thought it was a fault but now i i think it is just recordings, and i still would like to see a wired balanced cable.
I have a few iems including new oriveti primacy which are about the same price range, yes multi driver and totally different sound sig , comparing apples to oranges but would recommend the flares over the oriveti all day long.

Feb 24, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #319 of 1,354
Fair point ...but £999 Compared to £350. and also has the tech changed at all not just the finish? If so then how hard is it to make an upgrade in tech in the titanium only model? And would gold plating realy make such a difference?.
Flarespro are honestly one of my favourite audio products I have bought in the last 5 years I recommend these iems to anyone who asks, bur there not without faults.. Getting the fit right is hard but once found the right tips/depth/position they are easy.
They also can sound thin/ tizzy with bad recordings and thought it was a fault but now i i think it is just recordings, and i still would like to see a wired balanced cable.
I have a few iems including new oriveti primacy which are about the same price range, yes multi driver and totally different sound sig , comparing apples to oranges but would recommend the flares over the oriveti all day long.

Feb 24, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #321 of 1,354
I agree with you about the fit,nightmare at first,I also love the flare pro like an open window into the music,I'm gonna get the gold in a month or so and if they ain't much better I'll send them back and get another flare pro for the Mrs
Will be interesting to hear your thoughts between the two when you get them.

Feb 24, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #322 of 1,354
I received the email as well, hoping these Flares Gold were an updated, new iem with different tuning, etc., but they appear to be the same as the Pro, yet with a fancy color being Gold. I'm not sure if this will produce any change in the sound, but I doubt it will, or by much, if at all. I'm going to email my contact at Flare for any information, which I'll update here regarding whatever I find out.

Feb 24, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #323 of 1,354
I received the email as well, hoping these Flares Gold were an updated, new iem with different tuning, etc., but they appear to be the same as the Pro, yet with a fancy color being Gold. I'm not sure if this will produce any change in the sound, but I doubt it will, or by much, if at all. I'm going to email my contact at Flare for any information, which I'll update here regarding whatever I find out.
I'll email James from flare and see what he says as well,I've emailed James so I'll let you know when he gets back to me

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #324 of 1,354
I received a letter today from flare audio saying " i revisited our jet technology and refined the design of both jets so that it removed any remaining traces of audible distortion" so seems there has been tweaks but surely could do that on titanium version?????

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #325 of 1,354
Has anyone noticed that the body of the new Gold Pro is 24k gold-plated brass rather than titanium as used in the Pro? I suppose it is a possibility that could make some difference in the tuning/SQ. Sorely lacking in willpower, I am tempted!

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #327 of 1,354
Would a saxophone sound the same in titanium?
You pose a very interesting question. Makes me think that there will be more to the Gold than just gold.

Feb 25, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #328 of 1,354
Would a saxophone sound the same in titanium?

Saxophones are designed to impart a lot of nice colouration to just a resonating pipe - so bad example maybe. The choice to use titanium was supposed to be for it's hardness and Id have thought chosen to prevent resonances of some time . Brass is a lot less hard, but is more dense so.. They've supposedly strengthened the centre portion of the housing on this Gold, maybe to compensate for it not being titanium and making sure they perform the same in that respect, or just to dampen any resonances? Could then also be that brass is easier to mill to a higher precision because it's softer and is needed for the gold plating if that then brings a smoother surface..

Well, make sure you try out the Gold before my Golden Ticket runs out! :) My willpower is low too but I'd sell my current Pros if I kept the Gold, I certainly can't justify both!

Feb 26, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #329 of 1,354
Saxophones are designed to impart a lot of nice colouration to just a resonating pipe - so bad example maybe. The choice to use titanium was supposed to be for it's hardness and Id have thought chosen to prevent resonances of some time . Brass is a lot less hard, but is more dense so.. They've supposedly strengthened the centre portion of the housing on this Gold, maybe to compensate for it not being titanium and making sure they perform the same in that respect, or just to dampen any resonances? Could then also be that brass is easier to mill to a higher precision because it's softer and is needed for the gold plating if that then brings a smoother surface..

Well, make sure you try out the Gold before my Golden Ticket runs out! :) My willpower is low too but I'd sell my current Pros if I kept the Gold, I certainly can't justify both!
Not sure if the Mrs wants my flare pro so might put them on eBay,they like new less than a month old,only want 215 quid for them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back