FlaresPro/FlaresGold by Flare Audio
May 30, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #1,187 of 1,354
I'm not sure whether turbulence is going to be much of an issue in the Flares, given that those driver membranes move a fraction of a millimeter. I think the path from driver to eardrum uses more horn theory, than other scientific approaches. As its about constant directivity, maintaining the wave-front shape and transitioning it to the eardrum effectively.

I've used front horns in my main speaker system for the past 20 years or so including a lot of DIY and experimentation. And from that I think the finish on the enclosure is very important at driver exit as well as the shape and termination of the throat and the flare. But equally as stated above, by using the correct materials and surfaces between the enclosure and the ear canal.

I'm not convinced that the gold or rhodium plate adds anything over the titanium in the other Pro's though. But I'm planning on experimenting on that myself too. I do think that Flares Audiophile tips are good though, I've not used anything else on these that provide such a good overall balance.

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #1,189 of 1,354
Hello everyone, I'm considering buying the HD version as a gift for my father (or for myself if it's that good lol). His collection consists of Andromeda S, RHA CL2, Xelento, Sony EX1000, IER M9, IER M7, Solaris, Vega, iSine 20, qdc Gemini, and most of Final Audio line. Can anyone compare it to some of what I list here? :)

It doesn't look like it's a well-known brand but most reviews I've read (2 from Headfi) are glowing.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #1,190 of 1,354
The only other thing I'm finding annoying is the ridiculously short cables when using the bluetooth unit. It would have been nice to be able to clip to trousers or lower down. I'm having to make some kind of neck chain thing to clip the device on which is not ideal. I hope that Flare come up with an extension cable, or maybe I will just make my own.

Apologies for reviving an old post, but I wondered if you found a solution to this issue you can recommend? A little surprised no-one else has mentioned this. I absolutely love the sound of the Flares Pro, my first higher-end IEMs, but the bluetooth module is incredibly annoying to use. Like you I want to be able to see it to operate it while in use, and the shortness of the cables means they bulge out uncomfortably and unnaturally when clipped to the neck of tshirt or shirt, which also adds microphonics I don't get when using wired.
I guess the only solution would be to find a decent MMCX male-female extension cable but I've struggled to source one. For now I'm using wired (via PC USB and a Fiio E10 DAC) and with a Fiio BTR1 bluetooth unit, which is fine, but the Flares BT unit does sound better for wireless.
I called Flares about it (weirdly enough their factory is about a mile from my house), but they said they had no suggestions and that no-one else had raised the issue before. Can anyone suggest this sort of cable at all?

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #1,191 of 1,354
Apologies for reviving an old post, but I wondered if you found a solution to this issue you can recommend? A little surprised no-one else has mentioned this. I absolutely love the sound of the Flares Pro, my first higher-end IEMs, but the bluetooth module is incredibly annoying to use. Like you I want to be able to see it to operate it while in use, and the shortness of the cables means they bulge out uncomfortably and unnaturally when clipped to the neck of tshirt or shirt, which also adds microphonics I don't get when using wired.
I guess the only solution would be to find a decent MMCX male-female extension cable but I've struggled to source one. For now I'm using wired (via PC USB and a Fiio E10 DAC) and with a Fiio BTR1 bluetooth unit, which is fine, but the Flares BT unit does sound better for wireless.
I called Flares about it (weirdly enough their factory is about a mile from my house), but they said they had no suggestions and that no-one else had raised the issue before. Can anyone suggest this sort of cable at all?

I can't really see why this is a problem, why do you need to see the module when its in use if clipped to a shirt? I always use the phone to control the tracks and volume, so need to touch the BT module. I've found they work fine with no microphonics either with the cables over the ears or hanging down. The cables are long and flexible enough for either. I use mine clipped to the back of my shirt when running, and that works well too.

However, if you really need an extension. The easiest way if you cannot find one ready made, would be to buy a cable for a Shure IEM with the MMCX connectors, and then buy and solder on a couple of MMCX female connectors. That would be really easy to do. I've got one of those Shure cables and use my Flare BT module in the car sometimes, with the 3.5mm plugged into the car AUX socket.

Jun 27, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #1,192 of 1,354
@Jonathan Dunham thanks very much for the reply. It may just be me but I really do find it quite annoying, the way the cable balloons out if clipped to the front of a shirt/tshirt and I don't want something flapping about when I'm running (I'll probably end up getting some true wireless phones for that purpose, these are more for work/home use.

I appreciate the suggestion but I don't have any soldering kit and wouldn't be particularly confident doing that. I have found some mmcx m-f cables online (big Chinese stores) but they're either too long (2m) or too short (15 cm!) with not much in between. The search goes on I guess!

It's a niche demand I realise, the bottom line is these are fantastic sounding earphones, and I may stick to pairing then with the FiiO bt dac for now.

If anyone has any other ideas I'd be grateful

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #1,193 of 1,354
I can't really see why this is a problem, why do you need to see the module when its in use if clipped to a shirt? I always use the phone to control the tracks and volume, so need to touch the BT module. I've found they work fine with no microphonics either with the cables over the ears or hanging down. The cables are long and flexible enough for either. I use mine clipped to the back of my shirt when running, and that works well too.

However, if you really need an extension. The easiest way if you cannot find one ready made, would be to buy a cable for a Shure IEM with the MMCX connectors, and then buy and solder on a couple of MMCX female connectors. That would be really easy to do. I've got one of those Shure cables and use my Flare BT module in the car sometimes, with the 3.5mm plugged into the car AUX socket.
you can wear it over ear? from the picture, I'd assuem they're meant to be worn down

Jun 27, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #1,194 of 1,354
@Jonathan Dunham thanks very much for the reply. It may just be me but I really do find it quite annoying, the way the cable balloons out if clipped to the front of a shirt/tshirt and I don't want something flapping about when I'm running (I'll probably end up getting some true wireless phones for that purpose, these are more for work/home use.

I appreciate the suggestion but I don't have any soldering kit and wouldn't be particularly confident doing that. I have found some mmcx m-f cables online (big Chinese stores) but they're either too long (2m) or too short (15 cm!) with not much in between. The search goes on I guess!

It's a niche demand I realise, the bottom line is these are fantastic sounding earphones, and I may stick to pairing then with the FiiO bt dac for now.

I had the same issue about the cables being too short initially but got over it quickly. For my case I was lucky to have quite a few t shirts with front pockets on them and the length of the cable is perfect length to clip onto while allowing for full range of motion with your head. I find the length perfect for pocket shirts, vnecks and clipping to the bottom of collared shirts (looks kinda nerdy but cool at the same time on my collared shirts). I love these iems so much I go out of my way to wear shirts and jackets that are able to be comfortably clipped onto.

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #1,196 of 1,354

No worries. And good luck trying to find a solution. If you have a friendly audio club locally someone there might solder you a cable up, it wouldn't be hard. If I didn't have a large backlog of jobs to do myself, I'd do it for you!

The reason you're finding all sorts of weird cables commercially is that the short ones are for the original intended use of MMCX which is for RF purposes not audio. Don't forget its good to keep cable lengths short anyway, which is one reason Flare have done what they have with the Pro's.

Jul 1, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #1,197 of 1,354
Jul 1, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #1,199 of 1,354
care to share why are you selling it? if it's the best you've ever heard? :)

They are far from best I have ever heard, but they produce technically the best sound out of all IEMs I have tried and own.

They can actual rival all my CANs (which no other IEM I know can do)... but that is exactly why I do not need them. I have multiple CANs, high-end speaker system so from IEMs I expect portability, and to sound good on the go with my phone. Flares are truly high-end IEMs and require proper gear to accompany them to shine and show their strength. For that kind of listening I have my CANs and Speaker system. I pushed too hard :) for excellence and got what I paid for, it is just not what I need on the go with my phone :)

They are very good IEMs if someone is looking for high-end sound from IEMs (and can be bothered to drive them with equally high quality gear.

Hope it makes it clearer.

Cheers

Jul 7, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #1,200 of 1,354
I'm interested in the Flares Pro 2 HD after reading all the bold claims of them beating many TOTL such as Andromeda, Oriolus MK2, Tia Fourté, EX1000 Etc. (I have the Oriolus MK2 for reference, insanely musical but suffers slightly from hybrid incoherence issues and BA Timbre)

My biggest sound concern is and always has been immersion. I'm looking for a sound that makes me forget I'm wearing IEMs, a powerful musical sound with a soundstage that I cannot sense the end of. A wide, deep, spacious, even cavernous sound. An organic, smooth, non-analytical mid-range (non-abrasive)

with complimentary treble.

If anyone had heard the Acoustune HS1551, that kind of spacious only with higher resolution and even wider, enveloping stage.

Does the Flare Pro 2 HD achieve this kind of sound? Can anyone articulate in detail the stage dimensions, imaging, layering, separation, 3D-ness, transparency?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back