FlaresPro/FlaresGold by Flare Audio
Apr 26, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #1,157 of 1,354
Thanks for the thorough answer :)
Is the Flare 2HD a good match with the Chord Mojo?

The Flares Pro and Gold sound great on the Chord Mojo, so no reason the 2HD wouldn't too as its the same driver and only marginal differences in the enclosure. For me its a decent step up in overall SQ from the Flare BT module, which to me has a less neutral balance compared to the Mojo (and other amps).

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #1,158 of 1,354
The Flares Pro and Gold sound great on the Chord Mojo, so no reason the 2HD wouldn't too as its the same driver and only marginal differences in the enclosure. For me its a decent step up in overall SQ from the Flare BT module, which to me has a less neutral balance compared to the Mojo (and other amps).
Thanks Jonathan, you pushed me two steps forward in direction of the Pro 2HD :wink:

May 11, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #1,159 of 1,354
Heads up for Flare Audio selling off a couple of pairs of ex-demo Golds on ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flare-Au...less-Bluetooth-Earphones-ex-demo/192911469604

I personally think they're as technically as good as the 2HDs. Only difference appears to me to be a louder mid-range on the 2HD, giving a feel of more detail in the frequencies the brain is more sensitive to. The Golds on the other hand have more upper treble (which is less noticeable because we're less sensitive there) so has more "air" and a slightly faster feeling attack on percussive sounds (like those heard in field recordings, more than in music).

I sent my 2HDs back in the end because there wasn't really a large improvement, just a change of emphasis, which I wasn't going to lock in massive depreciation on my Golds for (despite having bought them originally for large discount).

May 15, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #1,160 of 1,354
Heads up for Flare Audio selling off a couple of pairs of ex-demo Golds on ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flare-Au...less-Bluetooth-Earphones-ex-demo/192911469604

I personally think they're as technically as good as the 2HDs. Only difference appears to me to be a louder mid-range on the 2HD, giving a feel of more detail in the frequencies the brain is more sensitive to. The Golds on the other hand have more upper treble (which is less noticeable because we're less sensitive there) so has more "air" and a slightly faster feeling attack on percussive sounds (like those heard in field recordings, more than in music).

I sent my 2HDs back in the end because there wasn't really a large improvement, just a change of emphasis, which I wasn't going to lock in massive depreciation on my Golds for (despite having bought them originally for large discount).

I bought one of those and they still got another two pairs for sale so there is more than just two. How many is anyone's guess however. Apart from the "golden" (brass) metal plates on the box which are a bit tarnished and one of them has stains, everything else is in mint condition as far as I can see.

I've got them in my ears as I type and there are quite a change from the Pro. More comfortable, easier fit and seal with silicones and less microphonics. Tonally they don't feel peaky as the Pro do, improvement in smoothness is significant but they also feel less energetic and overall I might find a them a bit too warm/thick sounding.

Do you think I would prefer the Pro 2 HD? I certainly would if they'd feel a bit leaner sounding with a bit more energy in the upper midrange.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #1,161 of 1,354

Good call, many thanks. Given the bargain price I've decided to get some Gold's again. It wasn't a big enough step up before against the others, but for that price it certainly is!

May 24, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #1,162 of 1,354
Flares gold good for all round music genres off a ak sp1000?

May 24, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #1,163 of 1,354
I bought one of those and they still got another two pairs for sale so there is more than just two. How many is anyone's guess however. Apart from the "golden" (brass) metal plates on the box which are a bit tarnished and one of them has stains, everything else is in mint condition as far as I can see.

I've got them in my ears as I type and there are quite a change from the Pro. More comfortable, easier fit and seal with silicones and less microphonics. Tonally they don't feel peaky as the Pro do, improvement in smoothness is significant but they also feel less energetic and overall I might find a them a bit too warm/thick sounding.

Do you think I would prefer the Pro 2 HD? I certainly would if they'd feel a bit leaner sounding with a bit more energy in the upper midrange.

I can't answer whether you'd prefer the 2HD since its the only one I haven't heard. But I'm wondering what you mean by "more energy" as for me I don't really get that. I could see why you might interpret the Pro as having more bite because of the lift in the presence region. That is not an improvement in dynamics though, which is what some might call "energy" its simply because the Pro's are more prominent in that range. I cannot tell a difference between the Pro and the Gold in dynamics at all, but I do agree that the Gold's being more neutral, smoother, and they do not exacerbate poorer recordings where there is some harshness or sibilance. In fact I'm hearing more detail as a result, something I know Flare themselves boast about for the 2HD. Though being the same driver it can't be real detail more that the balance allows different details to come through.

I would also question what you are driving the Gold's with. Were your comments whilst using the Bluetooth module or a better source, as that does make a significant difference?

May 24, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #1,164 of 1,354
Flares gold good for all round music genres off a ak sp1000?

The Golds certainly don't favour any music genre, I can confirm that. And though I've not heard it, can't see why the Sp1000 wouldn't drive them very nicely. Most of my listening of the Gold's has been via the Chord Mojo/Poly and through that they do sound excellent.

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #1,165 of 1,354
The conclusion I came to comparing the Gold to the 2HD, was that the 2HD simply had a slightly more prominent mid-range and so you heard more of it.. which then one might translate into being a more detailed mid-range (because it's slightly louder).

In gaining that though, I found it lost some air in the upper treble compared to the Gold. When listening to field recordings - e.g. a binaural thunderstorm - there was a little bit more realism in attack with the Golds. Could hear that too with accoustic percussion in music but then that depends on the music you're listening to.

Then, when going through all my Flares, R2 Pro, Flares Pro, Flares Gold , when you don't compare them directly looking for differences, I'm finding myself pretty happy with any of them to be honest ! Makes me wonder why I've bother loosing money on depreciation to chase the small differences..My change of DAP from AK 120 Mk II to AK 320 made much more difference to noticable pleasure. And it's an increase in pleasure I'm after, rather than a change in presentation... if you see what I mean. I often listen to Tidal on my phone via Flares.. and then I listen to Tidal on my AK320 (both in HiFi mode). I appreciate that move each time much more than changing Flares model.

May 25, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #1,166 of 1,354
I can't answer whether you'd prefer the 2HD since its the only one I haven't heard. But I'm wondering what you mean by "more energy" as for me I don't really get that. I could see why you might interpret the Pro as having more bite because of the lift in the presence region. That is not an improvement in dynamics though, which is what some might call "energy" its simply because the Pro's are more prominent in that range. I cannot tell a difference between the Pro and the Gold in dynamics at all, but I do agree that the Gold's being more neutral, smoother, and they do not exacerbate poorer recordings where there is some harshness or sibilance. In fact I'm hearing more detail as a result, something I know Flare themselves boast about for the 2HD. Though being the same driver it can't be real detail more that the balance allows different details to come through.

I would also question what you are driving the Gold's with. Were your comments whilst using the Bluetooth module or a better source, as that does make a significant difference?

I was used to harmanish curve iems and I didn't use foams. Now I am fully used to Flares signature and use the large acoustic lens foams (which turn out to be surprisingly comfortable, I normally hate foamies). Also I couldn't aesthetically cope with Pro's IMO too elevated upper treble and killed it by stuffing foam in the nozzle below the acoustic lens. After doing that the Golds have slightly more upper treble ( a peak the Pros don't have anymore but is siginficantly less elevated than the unmodded Pros) but the Pro still feel brighter and v-shaped compared to the Golds. I find the Golds more relaxed and the Pros more energetic/engaging. I can't say I find the Golds more resolving, on a few occasions I heard stuff I thought I hadn't heard with the Pros but it turned out it was there too just presented slightly less obviously.

As for what source I use, I do most of my listening with a lowly Audiotrack Prodigy Cube Black Edition USB powered DAC/Amp whose opamp has been replaced by a Burson V5i. It's surprisingly good, especially considering the overall £100 cost. My QP1R DAP has only a slight edge in detail retrieval and separation and I find the quality of the bass to be superior on the Cube. I don't know how the Bluetooth module sounds as I don't have any device that can make use of it.

Those Flares are overall so good it feels a bit like end game for me now. I have the feeling I got "there" finally.

May 25, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #1,167 of 1,354
Don't quote me on this (haven't made a proper AB yet), but I feel that Gold has better 3D soundstages, more (mid) bass and prominent highs (aka more likely to sound peaky) than 2HD, while 2HD has better mids/vocal, less peaky highs and overall more versatile than Gold which I think probably excels for classical. For everything else, I'd take 2HD though.

May 25, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #1,168 of 1,354
I'd agree with that mostly, although I've not examined the mid bass/prominent highs so much.

I've a theory the extra 3D feel comes from the upper treble, and more upper treble gives you faster leading edges (meaning more harmonics to a wave form) which often plays into how the brain reacts to sounds in 3D space - a slower attack lessens our ability to hear where it's coming from. That's why emergency service vehicles often use those noise / crunch sirents in between the usual "woo woo" - the sharp sounds allow us to hear where it's coming from more easily.

For me, I'm not a much of a classical listener but I like to hear more 3D sound and attack on my electronic music and acoustic folk, rock, jazz, world music . And then I listen to music with field recording or just straight field recordings. I'd miss that better 3D-ness from all those genres and it would a pain to have to switch over for other genres... hence I returned the 2HDs.

May 28, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #1,169 of 1,354
Don't quote me on this (haven't made a proper AB yet), but I feel that Gold has better 3D soundstages, more (mid) bass and prominent highs (aka more likely to sound peaky) than 2HD, while 2HD has better mids/vocal, less peaky highs and overall more versatile than Gold which I think probably excels for classical. For everything else, I'd take 2HD though.

Sounds like it would be worth doing a proper AB comparison.

For me, though I've not heard the 2HD, I don't feel the need to at the moment, given how good the Gold is and how neutral the balance seems to be. I don't like to have a tipped up balance that accentuates the mids/vocals as I think you imply the 2HD does. I've also not heard anything approaching a peaky high range, it sounds very smooth to me but at the same time extends higher than the Pro does. And as for music listened to, classical is probably my least favourite and probably my mix is more akin to LuckyNat's here, and all of those types I think sounds superb via the Gold's. I'd also not want two different IEM's for listening to different types of music.

The Gold does seem to convey a very convincing sound stage (or 3D as you'd put it) and is certainly a decent step up from the Pro's, which for an IEM I always thought was good anyway.

May 28, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #1,170 of 1,354
It's obvious to me there is a peak in upper treble in the Gold. it's less elevated than in the pro but it's definitely there, the 8khz peak is gone however and this certainly greatly contribute, along with the toned down bass, to the overall feeling of smoothness I get with the Gold.

It's possible to kill the upper treble peak of the Pro by stuffing some foam between the driver and the acoustic lens. Unfortunately, no such thing is possible with the Gold as there is no free room between the driver and the acoustic lens.

If the Pro 2 HD does away with this peak, then it's certainly a winner in my book. As it stands for me now I prefer my foam modded Pro over the Gold for it's more engaging sound and lack of upper treble peak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back