FlaresPro/FlaresGold by Flare Audio
Jul 23, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #1,216 of 1,354
Regarding immersion when listening - I've had that desire before too, but the simple fact is that not much music is recorded that way! Sure, you can do things to make everything sound immersive but I'm not sure you can do that without DSP, by just using headphone design.

Turn up the volume, reduce outside noise (iems are good for this), relax and quieten your mind. I think those are the best ways to achieve a more immersive sound. Just make sure your headphones have good detail. I think Flares are good for the reach-out-and-touch aspect of an immersive sound for sure. I found the golds were a bit better at this for me than the 2HDs.
;
I disagree that iems would be worse at creating an accurate immersive sound. Over-ears may trick the ear into thinking the sound is coming from more places, due to the fact the sound may interact with your pinnae, but it will not be accurate to what was recorded. If you want real immersive, then binaural techniques are needed and technically iems should work the best (although you don't really notice much difference in reality).

Sep 2, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #1,217 of 1,354
How can one compare Golds and Pro 2HD in terms of LF and HF? I've heard the golds and found bass to be quite interesting. At first I found it to be lacking but subbass is definitely there. It's just that upper bass is lean and provides tons of texture and detail. But HF in golds are quite sharp and bright, sometimes prone to sibilance. How's Pro 2HD in this regard?

Sep 3, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #1,218 of 1,354
I compared them both directly for hours on my AK320 ... but now I can't remember exactly my thoughts but I'll try.

I tested mostly on some 2L label tracks (an HD track label) but also on some field recordings. When comparing the high bitrate, well recorded audiophile tracks.. it was hard to tell much difference but I came to the conclusion I could hear detail in the midrange slightly more clearly and asume that it simply slightly louder there. When listening to field recordings with non-musical content like rain and thunder and natural soundscapes or percussive hits etc, the Golds had slight more bite which translates with me to a greater sense of a "reach out and touch" feeling. I'm guessing that is because the gold has a higher level there instead.

Given how much I enjoy the "reach out and touch" sensation in field recordings and differences appeared to me to be simply slightly different FR response, I decided it wasn't worth spending on the 2HD.

But that was my personal choice.

Sep 10, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #1,220 of 1,354
Hi, all. I'm looking at the Flares Pro 2HD.

The cable doesn't detach at the earpiece, but it does detach at the wireless module thing. All us enthusiasts have had experiences with cables breaking at the base of the earpieces many times, and so I'm concerned by default about cable worries.

Has anyone had issues with Flares IEMs having cable issues?

Sep 10, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #1,221 of 1,354

The cable doesn't detach at the earpiece, but it does detach at the wireless module thing. All us enthusiasts have had experiences with cables breaking at the base of the earpieces many times, and so I'm concerned by default about cable worries.

I’m sure some here will tell you how many cables they’ve broken on these, but I think if you’re careful you won’t have a problem. I’ve had 6 pairs of Flares since the original Pro and never had any issues.

What I can say though is they’re dead easy to take apart so any issues is an easy DIY fix.

Sep 10, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #1,222 of 1,354

Had some tough tugs and cable pulls over my time using these but ran into no issues. The housing seems to be constructed pretty solidly.

Sep 12, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #1,223 of 1,354
Thanks for responses about the cables. I'm a dynamic-driver fan. I don't suppose anyone has owned/tried both the Flares Pro 2HD and Beyerdynamic Xelento and could offer their opinion on which is superior? Second, if you've owned/tried both the Moondrop Kanas Pro and Pro 2HD, how superior the 2HD is to the Kanas Pro? Thanks.

Sep 15, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #1,224 of 1,354
I'd be also really curious about how they (Pro 2HD or Golds, since they're similar enough) compare to the Xelentos (or the AK T8ie, since they're similar enough :)), particularly for metal and classical music

Sep 15, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #1,225 of 1,354
I think the Flares cables are strong and robust. Having the connection away from the ear and instead at a place where there will be only potential strain in one direction is probably better for longevity. Not so good for cable rolling but there are ways to connect your own cables.

Any negatives about cables were about the original Kickstarter R2s - but even still, my R2 cable has only just broken this week after all these years.. so time to install something else! Might see if I can find a way to fit plugs at the ears on them..

Sep 17, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #1,226 of 1,354
Thanks for responses about the cables. I'm a dynamic-driver fan. I don't suppose anyone has owned/tried both the Flares Pro 2HD and Beyerdynamic Xelento and could offer their opinion on which is superior? Second, if you've owned/tried both the Moondrop Kanas Pro and Pro 2HD, how superior the 2HD is to the Kanas Pro? Thanks.

Same, I would appreciate an opinion on Pro2HD and Kanas Pro as well as 2HD and Tanchjim Oxygen.
Also would like an opinion on the 2HD and Final E5000, since that's one of the only IEMs I've been able to extensively try.
I've been planning to buy a pair of Oxygens when I've saved up, but recently I've seen exceptionally glowing reviews for the Pro2HD and am reconsidering.
Anyone got any input on this?

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #1,227 of 1,354
Same, I would appreciate an opinion on Pro2HD and Kanas Pro as well as 2HD and Tanchjim Oxygen.
Also would like an opinion on the 2HD and Final E5000, since that's one of the only IEMs I've been able to extensively try.
I've been planning to buy a pair of Oxygens when I've saved up, but recently I've seen exceptionally glowing reviews for the Pro2HD and am reconsidering.
Anyone got any input on this?

Got both the 2HD and the E5000.

E5000 is bassier and warmer in tone. Both are small and fit well in my ears. Build quality about equal, but 2HD has the additional Bluetooth module and killer packaging.

E5000 is warmer and more romantic in tone, bit less resolving than the 2HD, which is technically more proficient. Neither are bass light, but 2HD is more natural/neutral, with just a small uplift in the low bass.

2HD feels clearer and more emphasised in the mids, whereas the E5000 is more relaxed but definitely not V shaped (it's more L shaped than anything else).

Both are excellent sounding IEMs, but if you are going for technical ability and don't need a huge badb, I'd go for the 2HD.

Sep 25, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #1,228 of 1,354
Hi all,
About to buy either used Gold version or new Pro 2HD, both are the same price here. Please shorten this thread to me and let me know which one to get? should i go with used (in a good condition) Gold retired version or a new Pro 2HD one? Going to use them mainly with the Bluetooth connection.

Sep 25, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #1,229 of 1,354
Hi all,
About to buy either used Gold version or new Pro 2HD, both are the same price here. Please shorten this thread to me and let me know which one to get? should i go with used (in a good condition) Gold retired version or a new Pro 2HD one? Going to use them mainly with the Bluetooth connection.

SQ is very similar on both, so will depend on sonic preference.

Gold - slightly more "organic" feel to the sound, a little more laid back in terms of tonality.

Pro 2HD - slightly more vibrant, with more of a mid range "push". Sounds cleaner and less analogue than the Gold presentation.

Not sure if that helps, but I've owned both and there really isn't much between them (of course, others may have a different opinion!).

Sep 25, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #1,230 of 1,354
Golds are the better earphones by far. And this is not even a close call, in my opinion. Had a chance to compare them side-by-side yesterday. Pro 2HDs have mainstream V-shaped tuning, with overbloated bass (I tried different sources) while Golds' midbass is tamed so it presents a clearer window to the sound mix and more refined sound. Also it is best to use foams instead of silicon tips, because it makes HF sound much more natural. I recomment red T300 foams on Ali, they are much better than stock for SQ.

Attachments

• 00000IMG_00000_BURST20190924191054252_COVER.jpg
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20190924191054252_COVER.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back