FlaresPro/FlaresGold by Flare Audio
Apr 16, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #556 of 1,354
Please feel free to check my IC listing for my Golds on the F.S. forum. If any interest, please contact me via PM.
Thanks..

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #557 of 1,354
Please feel free to check my IC listing for my Golds on the F.S. forum. If any interest, please contact me via PM.
Thanks..

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck with the sale. I hope someone jumps on that. I'd make an offer if I didn't already have the Golds. Did you ever get a change to use the Golds with the iBasso DX200 with Amp5? If so, what did you think?

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #558 of 1,354
That is mostly what I used with them, streaming Tidal and Spotify. Great synergy and stunning sound! The Amp5 is a most worthwhile addition to the DX200.

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #559 of 1,354
@Arysyn think some of the tuning problem with the Unique Melody Maker planar has to do with what else they are trying to do with the design. Found this in a Head-Fi review. A company official starts off with:
"A planar driver’s ability to move air, even with an open design, has led us to believe that we need to find ways in which to normalize the pressure within the ear canal, which allows a more natural sound reproduction compared to if the canal was sealed off.

Glass Monkey: Does this mean that what your ME.1 is doing is leaking out the harmful low-frequencies that cause resonance and stapedius reflex? Basically, killing bad vibrations.

Lawrance: Yes, and at the same time, it’s an acoustic filter that attenuates the outside noise at specific frequencies."

So they are intentionally leaking some to reduce pressure in the ear canal . That has to affect bass response. Then they are attenuating some outside noise more than others. This isn't a straight "by the book" planar design.

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #560 of 1,354
@Arysyn think some of the tuning problem with the Unique Melody Maker planar has to do with what else they are trying to do with the design. Found this in a Head-Fi review. A company official starts off with:
"A planar driver’s ability to move air, even with an open design, has led us to believe that we need to find ways in which to normalize the pressure within the ear canal, which allows a more natural sound reproduction compared to if the canal was sealed off.

Glass Monkey: Does this mean that what your ME.1 is doing is leaking out the harmful low-frequencies that cause resonance and stapedius reflex? Basically, killing bad vibrations.

Lawrance: Yes, and at the same time, it’s an acoustic filter that attenuates the outside noise at specific frequencies."

So they are intentionally leaking some to reduce pressure in the ear canal . That has to affect bass response. Then they are attenuating some outside noise more than others. This isn't a straight "by the book" planar design.

Thank you for referring that, barondla.

I'm not especially knowledgeable about the particulars regarding planar technology, but from what I do know of the tuning capabilities, its exciting to me the idea of further development into this where there is greater control over tuning, perhaps leading to where software may be developed for the application of user-level tuning beyond EQ. The closest to that available now is some models of ba-driver iems with their adjustment knobs, interchangeable filters, etc.

I'm open with my beliefs about the subject of custom tuning, which while may be popular among those who share a similar opinion to mine of finding the iem/ headphone that best meets your tuning preference, and hope for an iem/headphone which eventually can be custom tuned in better specifics than just EQ.

However, I'm sure alot of people here on Head-Fi probably hate this idea, especially the staff, organizers of Can Jam, among many of those working for or owning one of the hundreds, if not thousands of audio manufacturers of headphones and iems. A custom-tuned (by user) iem/headphone, or software that can tune through the iem/headphone - granted it has the driver technology capable of this, which is why eventually planar may be it, will inevitably cost alot of business away from these companies selling various tuned products, though strangely so many of them alike with the v-shape signature.

Regarding the ME1 and other planar products though, it seems like many are complaining about the default tuning and saying they require lots of EQ. This isn't a good start for planar iems where companies start worrying about the technology, besides the advances it offers. If planar doesn't continue to grow, it'll reduce the chances for advances in tuning and even customization. So, its a bit distressing to hear these complaints, even while I love the FlaresGold I still want planar iems to do exceptionally well so eventually Flare might make a FlaresPlanar iem or some similar item where possibly Flare could develop a custom tuning software to go with it, or have another company go at it. This being the real benefit of endgame-seeking audio fans, or as I consider myself to be an audio technology enthusiast.

Also, I'm going to make a fairly bold statement by suggesting possibly Flare ought to consider working with Unique Melody. If UM is experimenting with moving air while normalizing pressure, this somehow affecting the treble, it seems reminiscent of what I've been complaining of regarding the FlaresPro upper treble tuning, which I believe is caused by Flare's experimentations with their dual jet technology and the live sound it offers. Yet in the case of Flare with the FlaresGold, it would seem Flare Audio really figured this out, and quite fast, unless they had this planned prior to the release of the FlaresPro.

If Unique Melody is having these complaints affect there business, partnering with Flare, putting their technology expertise together and figuring out how to better stabilize the treble range, while delivering pressure levels that minimize fatigue while still giving that airy, detailed treble goodness that doesn't get harsh on either the low or high end of the treble, would be enormously beneficial.

I'm generally quite impressed by everything else I see about the ME1. Other than the treble, I love the neutrality in the bass and the forwardness of the mids presented in the frequency response graphs I've seen on Head-Fi, originally posted by Brooko. The desire of reducing/eliminating fatigue is important, and would be great for Unique Melody to figure out, without it affecting the treble. The FlaresGold has very little to no fatigue and also has an excellent treble, which if the solutions could be shared between Flare and Unique Melody, could possibly lead to a FlaresGold-sounding planar, before leading eventually to what I'm hoping is a user-based custom tuning solution.

Again, I think this is great for audio, and these two companies seem to be focusing on sound development that truly goes beyond the ordinary annual product cranking out ritual these companies do every year, with the slightest improvements to their mostly v-shaped sounding products that may have added just a bit extra soundstage, but get the highest praises from the audio community here and on other websites.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, and its great if people with alot of money want to continue investing on this stuff while traveling the world to the various Can Jams, just like A/V enthusiasts are about things like an extra 100nits added to the new annual OLED or QLED HDR capability. Still, to me and others thinking similar to me about technology, want real progress in things like customization in audio (and video), more resolution, depth, real imaging capabilities, not just sugar coating with extra nits, or glowing about extra soundstage while we can't truly control the tuning of the $$$hundreds, if not $$$thousands spent on audio. EQ just isn't good enough.

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #561 of 1,354
That is mostly what I used with them, streaming Tidal and Spotify. Great synergy and stunning sound! The Amp5 is a most worthwhile addition to the DX200.

I was afraid you'd say that. I'm currently listening to the DX200 with Amp4s with the Golds streaming Tidal. Not giving any impressions yet, just burning in, but I will say it is nice to not have the volume at 90-100 just to listen at the office.. I was thinking that Amp5 would be a good match. But I bought the other amp instead, not really intending to use it with the Golds.

Good luck, I hope your sale goes well.

Someone in the Hiby R6 thread mentioned the Pros had great synergy with the R6, in case anyone here was wondering.

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #562 of 1,354
I was afraid you'd say that. I'm currently listening to the DX200 with Amp4s with the Golds streaming Tidal. Not giving any impressions yet, just burning in, but I will say it is nice to not have the volume at 90-100 just to listen at the office.. I was thinking that Amp5 would be a good match. But I bought the other amp instead, not really intending to use it with the Golds.

Good luck, I hope your sale goes well.

Someone in the Hiby R6 thread mentioned the Pros had great synergy with the R6, in case anyone here was wondering.
The Amp4 is supposed to be outstanding using the balanced output. You can easily do that by using the little MMCX adapters I mentioned in a post earlier on the Pro thread. Cost is only about $18 and they allow the use of any balanced cable with the Pro or Gold. If you can't find the post, I can PM you with a purchase link. You would also need a 4.4 to 3.5 adapter for use with the Amp4.

Apr 17, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #563 of 1,354
MVIMG_20180417_141452.jpg Or how about a little something like this? :)

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #564 of 1,354
Apr 17, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #565 of 1,354
YES!!! Exactly!

Yeah, I got two pair of the female to female mmcx connectors for my Pros a while ago to experiment with cable configurations. I’ve got my Pros for sale here and I’ve included one of the two pair in case whomever purchases them want to try the same. I found no change in sound, but I expected that, given the fact that there’s some of the original cable that the signal goes through. But it is nice to not have to have such high volume levels, and the balanced output seems to deliver more power generally. Heck, on the iBasso today, I had dropped the volume level about 30-35 points out of the balanced jack.

Now, to sell the Pros to get the Amp5. Wasn’t planning on doing that but oh well. Needs must.

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #567 of 1,354
You use foam eartips?

Nothing wrong with that, just isn't my preference, adds too much bass. I use the Spinfit TwinBlade, large. I'll see about taking a photo of my setup.

Ok, Story Time! Sit down and grab a cuppa!

I ordered the Flares Gold just when my German inlaws came to visit. For the first week, I used the silicone tips Flare provides (Pro and Gold tips are interchangeable), but I never really got a chance to get a good listening session in while they were here. During this time, I felt largely uninpressed with the Golds and seriously considered returning them. Then, in the midst of a bout of bronchitis, I realized something.

Flares provide sublime passive isolation, but not, it seems, for my wife and her family. Not that these people are loud - far from it - but it is more that they are able to speak in such a way that I know they are there and I cannot get any critical listening in.

I remembered I'd had good experiences with foam tips providing better isolation on Roxanne II, so I got some Comply foam tips to help drown out the family. Then, I thought I'd be able to get some good listening time in.

It worked. I was able to hear the differences between the Pros and Golds and realize that I strongly prefered the Gold tuning over the Pros.

While the inlaws remained, rather than switch out for the stock silicone tips every day, I've just kept the Comply foam tips on. Although the inlaws have been gone a week now, I'd gotten so used to the foam tips that I haven't switched them out yet. I will soon, but I've been lazy.

Now I have ordered extra tips - mostly silicone - from Flare for the future. Yet, I made sure to get an extra set of foam, just for when the inlaws visit next. They come twice a year, so I may have need of those foam tips for some time to come.

Full disclosure: my inlaws are actually great. They're helpful, the kids love having them around, and they do a lot of the tasks around the house which saves me from doing those instead. Still, it's nice to be able to lose myself to music from time to time. Maybe you know what I mean.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed your tea!

Apr 18, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #568 of 1,354
@Arysyn I attended my 1st Head-Fi event last year. A member had an ultra expensive set up of dac, amp, and at that time the top Hifiman planar headphones. Talking over $8K of equipment. 1st he played the set up straight. They sounded excellent. Then he turned on his custom EQ setting (think he was using JRiver on the laptop). The improvement in sound was amazing. More linear and more natural. Talking to him I found he was a basson player. He knew how music should sound. He spent a year developing the custom settings. Other Head-Fiers were supportive of the EQing. If you ever get a chance to attend one of the meets, don't miss it. So much equipment to hear, so many great people.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #569 of 1,354
Ok, Story Time! Sit down and grab a cuppa!

I ordered the Flares Gold just when my German inlaws came to visit. For the first week, I used the silicone tips Flare provides (Pro and Gold tips are interchangeable), but I never really got a chance to get a good listening session in while they were here. During this time, I felt largely uninpressed with the Golds and seriously considered returning them. Then, in the midst of a bout of bronchitis, I realized something.

Flares provide sublime passive isolation, but not, it seems, for my wife and her family. Not that these people are loud - far from it - but it is more that they are able to speak in such a way that I know they are there and I cannot get any critical listening in.

I remembered I'd had good experiences with foam tips providing better isolation on Roxanne II, so I got some Comply foam tips to help drown out the family. Then, I thought I'd be able to get some good listening time in.

It worked. I was able to hear the differences between the Pros and Golds and realize that I strongly prefered the Gold tuning over the Pros.

While the inlaws remained, rather than switch out for the stock silicone tips every day, I've just kept the Comply foam tips on. Although the inlaws have been gone a week now, I'd gotten so used to the foam tips that I haven't switched them out yet. I will soon, but I've been lazy.

Now I have ordered extra tips - mostly silicone - from Flare for the future. Yet, I made sure to get an extra set of foam, just for when the inlaws visit next. They come twice a year, so I may have need of those foam tips for some time to come.

Full disclosure: my inlaws are actually great. They're helpful, the kids love having them around, and they do a lot of the tasks around the house which saves me from doing those instead. Still, it's nice to be able to lose myself to music from time to time. Maybe you know what I mean.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed your tea!

You forgot to mention the bronchitis may also made you susceptible to not liking the Gold at first. Whenever I've had bronchitis, there is very little I can enjoy. Its complete misery.

If you ever want to try them, look up the Spinfit Twinblade on Amazon. I use the largest model of them. You might like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back